PDA

View Full Version : w-w ?

bisley45
07-28-2006, 01:22 PM
have any of you seen any w-w like these i think they are steel a magnet will stick to them but the one by it self is strange magnet wount stick and it is very hard
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/lisa1lacy2/my%20guns/oldboxes003.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/lisa1lacy2/my%20guns/oldboxes004.jpg

44woody
07-28-2006, 01:53 PM
yep those are steel if a magnet will pick them up I am starting to see more and more of them in my ww the bottom one might be lead with alot of paint on it I haven't seen any steel ones like that yet :castmine: 44Woody

Bucks Owin
07-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Looks like "politically correct" wheelweights to me!

sigh....

Dennis

grumpy one
07-28-2006, 08:01 PM
The middle two are a type I get frequently - they are zinc apart from the steel clip. The ones above and below that are not quite the same structure as any I've seen, and might not be zinc. The two-hole type in the separate picture is still a bit of a mystery to me, because I've had some of that type that were lead and at least one that was zinc. Because I keep my smelting pot at 650 F or less, there is no danger of melting any zinc so when I find a mystery metal I just toss it in, swirl it around, and see what happens.

My local tyre store says all the zinc types are fitted as original equipment to Japanese cars. However I had one this week that had the word Honda cast into it, and it was lead, so it doesn't seem as if all the Japanese cars are using zinc.

Recently I've been getting some stick-on weights that are zinc.

Geoff

StarMetal
07-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Here's what we do. Get some zinc WW's and take the zinc off the steel clip. Then shoot people in the head with that zinc part using a wrist rocket slingshot, but do it from cover and don't get caught. Then call the news station and tell them those new zinc ww's are dangerous because you got hit by one in the head, that they come off the steel clip and that the tire dealers should go back to the good old lead kind, they never come off the clip. :kidding:

Joe

kodiak1
07-28-2006, 10:10 PM
The one that the magnet won't stick to do you see any rust? It could be stainless steel.
That would keep it from having an as adverse effects on aluminum wheels.
Ken.

BOOM BOOM
07-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi,
Good One Starmetal!

GP100man
07-29-2006, 09:11 PM
the one on the bottom could be painted lead. do the 650F test see if paint burns then float or melt.:redneck:

bisley45
07-29-2006, 10:25 PM
thankes for all the replys (and you to starmetal) the one on the bottom is very hard you cant even put a mark on it with visegrips
cant complane got all of the from 2 5gal buckets the rest were lead