PDA

View Full Version : Bonanza hand primer how???

AbitNutz
05-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Ok, so I picked up one of those cool looking Bonanza hand primer tools. Like this

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0024161216999a.shtml

What is the secret of getting it to work right? I want to primer .45 long colt and I'm having very little luck. Yes, I know I'm not being specific but if someone who owns and loves one of these can give me how to adjust the eccentrics so they fit properly...and go from there.

AbitNutz
05-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Ok, so mine isn't exactly like that one. I apparently own an older one with round eccentrics to hold the shell, not hex shaped jaws. I expect there's a reason they changed.

jaguarxk120
05-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Is it new or did you buy a used tool? If it's used then go to www.forsterproducts.com they have a PDF library with the instruction sheet for the priming tool.

Since it's a older model I would start with the bottom jaw first adjusting so the case's primer pocket is centered with the primer ram. Then on to either of the side adjusters, again trying to center the primer pocket with the ram.

Maven
05-12-2010, 12:35 PM
"Since it's a older model I would start with the bottom jaw first adjusting so the case's primer pocket is centered with the primer ram. Then on to either of the side adjusters, again trying to center the primer pocket with the ram."

JaguarXK120's advice is correct, but let me add: With an unprimed case in the loosened jaws, press down on the handle so that it enters the primer pocket and holds the case in place, then tighten the jaws. Moreover, I mounted my seater on a block of 2" x 4" with a scrap of 1" x 2" glued to the bottom at the front end (i.e., where the jaws are) so as to prevent primers from falling out of the tube.

jaguarxk120
05-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Maven, I don't have one, just thought that would be the best way to adjust it. The web site has no support for the older model, just the new one with the sliding jaws. Seems like a very nice tool, being able to prime cases that way and not having to change out shellholders.

Pressman
05-12-2010, 07:19 PM
The older model adjusts the same as the new one. The rounds have an offset hole so you just rotate it into alignment. Start with bottom first. I put a deprimed case in the tool and run the primer post into the primer pocket to hold it while I set the disks.

I DO not like the tool!! My first one drove me into such agervation that I eventually gave it away, then I called Bonnanza to tell them what I thought of the wretched thing and the guy there talked me into buying another one!

I have a problem with the primers dropping, and landing face side up or down, then getting ramed into the primer pocket. Never had a BANG but really gets old knocking bent primers out of cases.

So, go slow, slow, slow. Check every primer to see that it is facing the correct way before pushing the lever.

Ken

flashhole
05-14-2010, 04:36 PM
I like my RCBS bench mount primer tool. Never a problem. I bought a second one and have them dedicated to large and small primers.

Echo
05-15-2010, 02:46 AM
+1 fpr the RCBS Automatic bench primer. Had mine for 30+ years. and use it every so often. Mounted on a piece of 1x3 and clamped on the bench with C-clamps. HAS to be more convenient than the Bonanza, as it uses the appropriate shell holder used for reloading the cartridge being primed.

Maven
05-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Pressman, My experience is identical to yours, which is why I elevate the front end of the device. Even so, it still manages to drop a primer or two out of every twenty. In spite of its foibles, it does an excellent job with the odd sized base of the 7.5 Swiss cartridge.

AbitNutz
05-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Ok, I got it. It is the older one with eccentric shell jaws. I started with the bottom one and then stared at it till it made sense. This thing works really, really well. I guess the newer one would be easier to adjust but this thing works just fine.

I like that I can dump the primers in the tools pan and just shove them in and load the tube in seconds. It has great feel and I have had no issues with primers flipping. Mine came with 7 eccentric holds. You have to look and see which ones will best fit the rim of the particular case you have. Once you figure that out, then adjust it...all you need do is lock the jaws down so they don't move, slide the tube full off primers and start cranking.

You just have to give this thing a chance and work with it to understand it. After that, you realize what a quality and clever tool this is.

Dan Cash
05-15-2010, 07:42 PM
All you guys with a Bonanza that are unhappy can now find unending joy. Send that miserable piece of junk to me for disposition. I would even provide a certain level of recompense.