PDA

View Full Version : Night Sights

jim4065
05-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm having a hard time getting any useful training in with these things. They're nice and bright until I pull the trigger - then it's several minutes before they seem "bright enough" to use for aiming again. The only way to keep using 'em continuously is to shut my eyes just before firing. I can't tell any difference in the targets when I just point and shoot. Is there a secret I'm missing here that will help justify their cost? :???:

Mk42gunner
05-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Sounds like you are seeing a lot of muzzleflash. Generally a slow burning powder will produce more muzzleflash than a faster burning one. You might try changing your load.

What gun, caliber, and load are you using now?

Robert

waksupi
05-11-2010, 08:36 PM
To me they are more gimmick, than go. May be good for first shot, but if you can't see the target good enough in the dark to shoot, the sights probably won't make a lot of difference. When practicing with a longbow, I would go out to the target butt in the dark, and could generally shoot as well, or better, than in full light. Repetition in training will most likely give you a solid sighting technique, with out the bells and whistles.

S.R.Custom
05-12-2010, 01:07 AM
You've hit upon the problem with any night time aiming 'system' that's not as bright as the muzzle flash of the weapon you're firing...

My personal opinion of night sights is this: they're pretty cool once you realize that the extent of their usefulness goes no further than helping you find your gun in the dark.

Bret4207
05-12-2010, 06:53 AM
This will sound strange, but don't look at the front sight. The rear sight should be a blur anyway. Just look across the top of the front sight and it'll seem a lot brighter.

insanelupus
05-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Night sights aren't intended to be used in "the dark", but rather low level light conditions. What this means is they are more intended for a situation where the light is not bright enough to see the sights, but you can still ID your target. For instance, backlighting, or using a flashlight (which is shining on your target), dimly lit alleys, maybe in a house with bright street lights shining through the window at night, etc. Muzzle flash can be a problem and that is why you see several self defense ammo companies going to a powder with less muzzle flash. If you are being blinded by the muzzle flash try two things. One, switch to an ammo with less muzzle flash and two, try using the glowing dots as a reference and looking at your target (thereby redirecting your line of sight so you aren't staring directly at the muzzle when it goes off). The last technique works to an extent at closer ranges, but when distances increase, shooting fundamentals are still necessary and front sight, trigger press will still be necessary. In that case, the new ammo will help considerably. Also try blinking your eyes rapidly when you get blinded by muzzle flash. This technique also works going from bright light into low level light environments too.

Night sights were never intended to be used in completely dark situations especially where you can't positively identify your target.

9.3X62AL
05-12-2010, 03:43 PM
I've not been greatly impressed by "night sights" on sidearms since they were approved by my agency at the time we went to autopistols (1987). Scores in low light shooting didn't improve all that much over time as more deputies installed them, but my position was that 1) they sure as h--l did no harm and 2) the deputies liked them and trusted them.

One application for night sights that DID impress me--GREATLY--was on the AR-15 patrol rifles in low light quals. DRAMATIC improvement in scores at 50 and 100 yards under subdued lighting. My own performance improved markedly the first time I tried them out--group size was about 40% smaller, and that seemed to be about the average improvement noted overall. I had them installed a few days later on my own dime on the agency rifle I dragged around in my cop car's trunk.

Bret4207
05-13-2010, 07:47 AM
The biggest improvement the Trijicon (sp?) night sites gave us was that the issue plastic Glock sites were replaced with something that didn't get dinged and worn. My scores went up appreciably from the much higher quality sight picture.