PDA

View Full Version : Stuck STAR sizer die...

FN in MT
05-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I've got a year old Magma Engineering STAR luber. Previously changing dies required I either set up the star die puller...the threaed set up that replaces the punch...and they would pop out.

Or...I have used a light ball peen and a 1/2" dowel and tap it out from the bottom.

NOW I have a .411" STAR die that will NOT come out. The heater was ON...so cold lube isn't cementing anything IN. Tried the dowel...the die comes 80% out...then sits there...solidly stuck. Tried the threaded removal tool...pulled on the handle so hard I was afraid I would BEND it.

Any ideas??? I think there may be an O ring in there...in the die orifice...when I "F" that up...will I need to replace it?? I thought the old STAR's didn't have that O ring?? WHY in the new press?

FN in MT

ANeat
05-11-2010, 09:34 AM
I know you dont need the o-ring.

As far as your die you will need to use your best judgement. The only thing I can think of would be a piece of lead shot coming loose and jamming things up.

If thats the case you may need to get it better supported and give it a good sharp wack to shear it off.

Tough call when things get to that point

FN in MT
05-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Used a 16 oz versus my little 8 oz ball peen. BIGGER is better!

The O ring was the culprit...sheared a piece off maybe 1/8 the diameter of the ring. Installed my .430" die and happily sizing away...without any leakage or other issues.

Rainy and cold...going to have a nice day in the basement; sizing away. May even burn a cigar or two.

FN in MT

ANeat
05-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Good deal, I get very little seepage past mine with no o-ring. Probably a couple bullets worth of lube leaks out per stick. Barely noticable. I usually wipe it off and drop it back in the resivoir when I add a new stick

cajun shooter
05-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Take a spray lube such as PB and with the plastic straw sprayer spray the die from the inside. The lube holes that allow lube to come in the die will work both ways and put lube between the die and the press pocket it is sitting in.

Lloyd Smale
05-13-2010, 04:38 AM
take a propane torch and heat the aluminum around the die to make it exand a bit and the die will probably push right out with finger pressure. it wont take much. Heat a little and try it and if it doesnt come heat it a bit more. I pretty much use this method to remove all star dies and have done it for years and it hasnt hurt a thing yet.