PDA

View Full Version : Alloy for 8mm mauser?

SciFiJim
05-11-2010, 03:32 AM
I have components to mix from Linotype to pure soft lead. What alloy should I use for my 8mm Mauser? All rounds will be gas checked. I can do water quenched if necessary, but I don't have a set up for oven heat treating.

dromia
05-11-2010, 06:08 AM
What velocity are you going to be driving the boolits at?

excess650
05-11-2010, 07:08 AM
I generally use a mix that quenches to about 15BHN, but waterdrop from the mould, not oven.

The mix that I'm currently using in my 8x57 Turk is closer to 20bhn, but not necessary to be that hard for the velocities that I've been loading to.

mike in co
05-11-2010, 08:44 AM
175 lee grp buy, ww /h20 dropped/1600 fps

SciFiJim
05-11-2010, 09:04 AM
I will be using the NOE 326407 185gr at 1800-2000fps

largom
05-11-2010, 09:17 AM
I just got my NOE 326407 and have not cast with it yet however, I shoot the Lyman 323470 at 2000 fps. with my alloy of 55% PB / 45% WW with Felix lube sized .326 in my Yugo. This mix gives good expansion for hunting and penetrates thru 4 one gal. milk jugs of water.

Larry

Larry Gibson
05-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I will be using the NOE 326407 185gr at 1800-2000fps

An alloy in the 16 - 18 BHN will be quite adequate. ACing is all that is necessary also. A mix of 60/40 linotype/lead is a good place to start. I shoot a lot of cast 8 mm bullets (190 gr GB, 323470 and the 323471) with that alloy. I push all 3 bullets into the 1800 -200 fps range with similar alloy. With the 323471 I cast it of 80/20 linotype /lead and push it to 2150 fps for long range shooting to 600 yards.

Larry Gibson

leadhead
05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Larry, What rifle are you pushing them to 2150 fps in?
Denny

Larry Gibson
05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
VZ 24/47. I've forged the bolt handle and D&T"d for scope. It has a Leupold 6X with target adjustments on it. Other than that it is in full milsurp trim.

Larry Gibson

BABore
05-11-2010, 03:35 PM
VZ 24/47. I've forged the bolt handle and D&T"d for scope. It has a Leupold 6X with target adjustments on it. Other than that it is in full milsurp trim.

Larry Gibson

Is that duct tape holding that scope on.:redneck::p

StarMetal
05-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Larry, What rifle are you pushing them to 2150 fps in?
Denny

Long ago Buckshot was pushing some heavy bullet fast in one of his 8mm Mauser and he split his stock at the tang. I want to say it was something like the 323471 215 grain. Correct me if I'm wrong old Buckeroo. So Oldfeller (he's not on the forum anymore) wanted to see if I could push it to 2400 fps. I have a Yugo 48 A that I bought unissued and used that. I kept creeping up the load and got it to the 2400 and I can say it was quite stiff in recoil. Fortunately my stock didn't split.

My alloy is 50/50...sometimes AC sometimes water dropped. My Mauser has a receiver sight on it attached with screws, no Duct Tape. :bigsmyl2:

StarMetal
05-11-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm reposting Larry's Mauser picture. I ligthened it up and enlarge it some. Larry, what's going on with that rifle, it does have Duct Tape on it. I don't see any group on the target sheet behind it either.:groner::kidding:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/LarrysRifle.jpg

mike in co
05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Long ago Buckshot was pushing some heavy bullet fast in one of his 8mm Mauser and he split his stock at the tang. I want to say it was something like the 323471 215 grain. Correct me if I'm wrong old Buckeroo. So Oldfeller (he's not on the forum anymore) wanted to see if I could push it to 2400 fps. I have a Yugo 48 A that I bought unissued and used that. I kept creeping up the load and got it to the 2400 and I can say it was quite stiff in recoil. Fortunately my stock didn't split.

My alloy is 50/50...sometimes AC sometimes water dropped. My Mauser has a receiver sight on it attached with screws, no Duct Tape. :bigsmyl2:

naw one of the big heavy 240's i believe

StarMetal
05-11-2010, 05:18 PM
naw one of the big heavy 240's i believe

I have that 215 gr and two other heavy weights I got off a now deceased member. The other two are the heavier ones. Shot those too.

excess650
05-11-2010, 05:19 PM
my Turk may be ugly, but at least it doesn't have duct tape on it:holysheep

Larry Gibson
05-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Starmetal

Last time I answered one of you guys chain pullin's I got a talkin to. I'm trying to stay out of trouble but I'd think you guys would be up on the "bestest bubba way" to hold a scope on tight....:kidding:

However, that is not duct tape. It is simply the wires (telephone type) that are hooked to the strain gauge on the rifle. The end plugs into the Oehler M43. When not using the rifle I simply wrap the wire around and secure it with a tie. When done testing the wire leads are unsoldered from the strain gauge (mounted on the barrel under neath the barrel and hidden by the shock) and you can't even tell the strain gauge is there. Between the 6.5 tests I've been continuing testing numerous different lots and makes of milsurp 8x57 ammo. Rather sophisticated set up for a typical "bubba" :smile:

Larry Gibson

excess650
05-11-2010, 07:35 PM
uh huh, sure Larry.....:kidding:

StarMetal
05-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Starmetal

Last time I answered one of you guys chain pullin's I got a talkin to. I'm trying to stay out of trouble but I'd think you guys would be up on the "bestest bubba way" to hold a scope on tight....:kidding:

However, that is not duct tape. It is simply the wires (telephone type) that are hooked to the strain gauge on the rifle. The end plugs into the Oehler M43. When not using the rifle I simply wrap the wire around and secure it with a tie. When done testing the wire leads are unsoldered from the strain gauge (mounted on the barrel under neath the barrel and hidden by the shock) and you can't even tell the strain gauge is there. Between the 6.5 tests I've been continuing testing numerous different lots and makes of milsurp 8x57 ammo. Rather sophisticated set up for a typical "bubba" :smile:

Larry Gibson

Well you know lots of us have sharp eyes. BaBore spotted that first, then I took a better look at it. Apparently I didn't blow it up big enough.

:kidding:

Larry Gibson
05-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Starmetal

If you'd use duct tape to hold your scopes on then maybe you could shoot as good a group as shown. ;-)

Larry Gibson

Suo Gan
05-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Why not cut Larry some slack he was just trying to help.

izzyjoe
05-11-2010, 09:29 PM
you mean you can't use duct to hold you'r scope on! we needs no stinkin' mounts:cbpour:

StarMetal
05-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Starmetal

If you'd use duct tape to hold your scopes on then maybe you could shoot as good a group as shown. ;-)

Larry Gibson

Give me the mounting technique for that duct tape Larry. :hijack:

SciFiJim
05-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I generally use a mix that quenches to about 15BHN, but waterdrop from the mould, not oven.

So, WWs with a bit of tin and then water dropped? Or if I don't want to water drop, then Lyman#2 or similar?

Larry Gibson
05-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Give me the mounting technique for that duct tape Larry. :hijack:

Starmetal

I went through 238 rolls of duct tape and a lot of mentoring from a guru the last 6 monts before I got the "technique" down. Now I just slap it on, wrap a couple wraps, tamp it sideways (which way you'll have to figure out) and tear off the tape from the role (the exact length I got from a member but I told him I wouldn't reveal it so you'll have to get it from him....or was it her......) and go shooting. That's it. Took months if not years of testing a ittle and then going back to the guru. He would pat me on the poo-pooh and tell me to keep trying. By golly after all them rolls I got it. Now it's up to you to do the same, no short cuts or secret info given out. BTW; there's only one kind of duct tape that has the right property. Use any others and groups are blown. Besides it might be dangerous with heavy bolt lift (a little secret - don't wrap the duct tape around the bolt handle as it can cause pressure problems as evidenced by hard bolt lift!).

Did I tell you about the 1/2" group at 300 yards that was 4" high with the rifle zeroed dead on at 100 yards.....missed the darn bean can because I wasn't holding under enough. Bet If I would of used one of them old fashioned 5 gallon milk cans I could have hit the darn thing. I shot 5 consecutive five shot groups but they are so small I can find 'em. Keep at it grasshopper and you'll get there. That Brazilian with the 7.65 barrel should be a good candidate. My 7.65 Argie shoots much better with the OD 90 mile an hour duct tape than with the Home Depot silver stuff. Go figure, maybe it's all about color coodination.......I started doing this a long time ago before I read you couldn't shoot with a duct taped on scope but I do it and prove everyone else wrong all the time.........:kidding:

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
05-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Starmetal

I went through 238 rolls of duct tape and a lot of mentoring from a guru the last 6 monts before I got the "technique" down. Now I just slap it on, wrap a couple wraps, tamp it sideways (which way you'll have to figure out) and tear off the tape from the role (the exact length I got from a member but I told him I wouldn't reveal it so you'll have to get it from him....or was it her......) and go shooting. That's it. Took months if not years of testing a ittle and then going back to the guru. He would pat me on the poo-pooh and tell me to keep trying. By golly after all them rolls I got it. Now it's up to you to do the same, no short cuts or secret info given out. BTW; there's only one kind of duct tape that has the right property. Use any others and groups are blown. Besides it might be dangerous with heavy bolt lift (a little secret - don't wrap the duct tape around the bolt handle as it can cause pressure problems as evidenced by hard bolt lift!).

Did I tell you about the 1/2" group at 300 yards that was 4" high with the rifle zeroed dead on at 100 yards.....missed the darn bean can because I wasn't holding under enough. Bet If I would of used one of them old fashioned 5 gallon milk cans I could have hit the darn thing. I shot 5 consecutive five shot groups but they are so small I can find 'em. Keep at it grasshopper and you'll get there. That Brazilian with the 7.65 barrel should be a good candidate. My 7.65 Argie shoots much better with the OD 90 mile an hour duct tape than with the Home Depot silver stuff. Go figure, maybe it's all about color coodination.......I started doing this a long time ago before I read you couldn't shoot with a duct taped on scope but I do it and prove everyone else wrong all the time.........:kidding:

Larry Gibson

I don't know if you ever got into trail bikes, but I got into them heavy. My best friend raced them professionally so I done lots of training riding with him. Anyways....you learn a lot about duct tape if you're a bike rider.

Bret4207
05-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Starmetal

Larry Gibson

Dang, you pegged him!

SciFiJim- Straight AC WW has worked for me in the 30's and 32/8mm up to the 2K range. Fit is what matters first, observe as you raise powder charges and speed/pressure. When groups start opening you've hit the limit for that alloy with that gun/boolit/load. Go to a slower powder or try juicing the alloy. Both work.

45 2.1
05-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Starmetal

Larry Gibson

Maybe your rifle is covering the group you speak of? Otherwise, all I have to say is that it's supposed to be a rifle, not a shotgun at long range.

StarMetal
05-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Larry,

I didn't know you had one of those 12 gauge conversion 98 Mausers.
How does it shoot slugs? What pressures are you getting?[smilie=s:

Larry Gibson
05-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Larry,

I didn't know you had one of those 12 gauge conversion 98 Mausers.
How does it shoot slugs? What pressures are you getting?[smilie=s:

It shoots slugs just fine. It's tricky loading them though as they are pretty slimey. With the big NW ones from the Cascade Mountains you don't need to lube them as they come that way. Got to catch them instead of cast them but that's ok as the run pretty fast so you get your exercise that way. Also have to use a star crimp as they will slither out of a roll crimped shell, especially when chambered. That can lead to ringed barrels with the wad not up against the slug. If the barrel is hot they may dry out part way up the bore and become a bore restrcition so you see it takes the right technique and knowledge to load them, especially for the HV loads. There's this old guy up in the mountains who can mentor you through learning the technique. It takes a lot of experimenting and testing 'cause he won't tell you everything at once as you've got to learn. Obviously you've got a lot to learn, if you want to, but be prepared for frustration and ridicule. Good expansion on target too with them slugs;-)

I'm not getting no "pressures". There's not that many pressures left (too many old ladies with pressure cookers back in the day) so it's a draw system here. Haven't drawn a pressure tag in a long time. I keep putting in for the coastal pressures because they bigger at lower elevation. Them city slickers says the pressures are higher at lower elevations and lower at higher elevations......no wonder them city boys don't know nothin, they got it backwards. You can get away with them garden variety slugs loaded in a .410 as a slug but takes several in a 12 ga and then "several" become "shot" instead of slugs - I know you know that but who knows who else is reading this. You gots to use a large mountain slug on the low pressures 'cause they's the bigger ones(ok, higher one's). The .410 with garden slugs is ok on the lower (high mountain - dang this backwards PC talk is rediculous!) pressures but you got to hit them just right or you get SEE (Simple Explanations for Everyone) and we know how dangerous those are :groner:

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
It shoots slugs just fine. It's tricky loading them though as they are pretty slimey. With the big NW ones from the Cascade Mountains you don't need to lube them as they come that way. Got to catch them instead of cast them but that's ok and the run pretty fast. Also have to use a star crimp as they will slither out of a roll crimped shell. Good expansion on target too;-)

Larry Gibson

Ya need to put some salt on them!!!!![smilie=l:

Larry Gibson
05-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Ya need to put some salt on them!!!!![smilie=l:

That ruins the lube and then you got corrocive ammo and have to clean the bore. We all know you never clean the bore so why would you want to now and ruin the seasoning.....oops....salt is seasoning......another oxymoron from Joe;-)

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
05-13-2010, 12:11 PM
That ruins the lube and then you got corrocive ammo and have to clean the bore. We all know you never clean the bore so why would you want to now and ruin the seasoning.....oops....salt is seasoning......another oxymoron from Joe;-)

Larry Gibson

Well see, back in the old days shooting "slugs" was corrosive. :bigsmyl2:

Pat I.
05-15-2010, 08:56 AM
I shot 5 consecutive five shot groups but they are so small I can't find 'em. Larry Gibson

[smilie=l:

fatelvis
05-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Larry, my question.......is that "Tactical phone wire"?

Larry Gibson
05-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Larry, my question.......is that "Tactical phone wire"?

It is "tacti-cool wire", not to be confused with "tactical wire":groner:

Larry Gibson