PDA

View Full Version : Now I Am A Believer Also

lesharris
05-10-2010, 11:24 PM
I have been viewing this site for some time.
I recently bought 2 Lee 30 caliber molds.
The 150 grain and the 170 grain.
I have over a dozen different Lee molds and every one has galled up and needed work before the molds would settle in and perform as expected.
most casters on this site have good comments about BullShop's bullplate mold lube.
It is an outstanding product.
I applied it as per the directions and finally no galling or binding whatsoever.
Excellant product,service and directions.
You have made me a believer.

MT Gianni
05-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Great first post. Welcome to the asylum.

shotman
05-11-2010, 12:23 AM
now you will have to try Kroil for inside

wistlepig1
05-11-2010, 12:34 AM
now you will have to try Kroil for inside

Good post and ditto on the BullPlate and Kroil "soak" on the inside--it works well for me!

Buckshot
05-11-2010, 02:23 AM
.............I've taken Lee moulds I'd cast with before getting any Bullplate lube. They'd be all scroungy and disreputable looking having had Javalina boolit lube used on the sprueplate bolt and alignment surfaces. After casting and using the Bullplate lube they looked a whole lot better after being USED again, on with the Bullplate lube, plus they were much easier to work with :-)

.............Buckshot

lesharris
05-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Yes Kroil will be visiting my molds on the next casting session.
Kroil does work wonders on rusted garden products and guns.
Good thing i ordered 3 bottles when i did.

excess650
05-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Like Buckshot, my aluminum moulds have taken a less than pleasing look, mine from using LBT mould lube. I've also used graphite on the bottom of the sprue plate, and occasionally resorted to one of the graphite in alcohol mould releases.

I cleaned a couple of my Lees today after reading this, and tried the sample of Bullplate. It most definitely works, and makes my Lee single and double cavity moulds work better than they ever have. I'll try it on a 6 cavity, but have no reason to think it won't work as well there.

I recall having used WD40 on the bottom of the sprue plate many years ago.

wistlepig1
05-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Soak over night in Kroil for best results.

excess650
05-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Lee REALLY should supply a sample of this with their moulds. Lots of their bad rep would go away.

deerslayer
05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
I know that everyone here swares by Kroil and it is a great product. But I have been doing some experiments each time I cast with different oils. i have found that Kroil, WD-40, PB Blaster And Aluma-a-lube all give me the same results. With each I get 8 or 10 incomplete fills to start and then perfect bullets that drop real easy.
Now before everyone starts lashing me let me say that I do not have any steel molds only lee aluminum molds.
In my keep me up at night thinking I just wonder if the oil in the mold is depositing a carbon layer as you burn it off with the intense heat. And if I am not mistaken that is what a match or candle would deposit. Although with the oil you probably get a more even film of carbon in the cavity.
Has anyone tried this in steel or cast molds??
As for the bullplate I intend to try it soon as i still use anti-sieze!

skimmerhead
05-11-2010, 09:24 PM
where do you get this stuff? tryed midway but couldn't find it. can anybody tell me where i can get some?

skimmerhead

joatmon
05-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Bottom of this page, click on the bullshop.

theperfessor
05-11-2010, 10:04 PM
+I for BullPlate, it's great for ferrous molds too.

I use silver grade anti-seize on all setscrews, handle pin screws, etc. It's especially helpful to prevent steel screws from "welding" to aluminum. Even when the oily component dries out it works.

I use BullPlate as directed on the pivot screw, alignment pins, and top of the mold. After a while it while even take off old lead smears!

excess650
05-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I just got a new Lee 8mm Maximum mould today, so after cleaning with HOT water and dishwashing liquid, cast a few. I used Bullplate from the first cast, and its working great! Likewise, it looks almost new after casting, so no baked on crud like when using other stuff for lube. GOOD STUFF!!!

markinalpine
05-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Just for the heck of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts&feature=related
:bigsmyl2: