PDA

View Full Version : Lube Question.

DIRT Farmer
05-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I had about 500 Lyman 210 gn bullets from an older mould that the lube had dryed and some had fallen off. Just for kicks I recoated with the lube I use on Minis in my Enfield 58, 50/50 bowl ring wax and Crisco. I loaded 20 with 12gn of Green Dot and fired them in the 1917 Enfield. The barrel has always appered rough, hard to clean and picked up some lead. (WW/AC) It was ok so I loaded 20 more, then 20 more to 100 rds as of today. The barrel looks cleaner than I have ever seen it. I have only shot cast through it for at least 30 years. The best loads normaly gave 3-4 inches at 50 yds, Today approaching 1 inch from a rest.
Questions;
1 Is this a reasonable lube for cast?
2 I guess I never got the barrel clean, does a soft lube help cut crud?
3 Do you think it will hold up with much increase in speed.

The bullet has 3 large grease groves, I would give the number but the mould is at the farm shop.

Recluse
05-10-2010, 10:58 PM
My philosophy on lubes is simple:

If it works for you, stick with it. If it don't, change it until you find something that does.

Every gun is different, so there is usually never a "one size fits all" solution or answer. That's part of the journey in this mystical, magical dark art of transforming clumsy, dirty chunks of lead and antimony into shiny projectiles of precision.

:coffee:

miestro_jerry
05-10-2010, 11:33 PM
I generally use Xlox or a Synthetic Lube on my cast bullets, but I keep other lubes around for firearms that maybe picky about which lube. To me everything has to fit that partiocular weapon properly.

But as Recluse has stated, if it works for you, stick with it, if it don't...

Jerry

DIRT Farmer
05-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Upped the powder 1grn, fired 10 shots and had light uniform leading in the barrel. I would guess it would only be good to 1000/1200 fps. It did suprise me it did so well both accerary and lubing. 5 rds of the same bullet with alox left the barrel clean. I did brush with WD 40 after shooting. The bore appears to be clean metal. I can even see what appears to be small pits in the throat.The barrel is the cleanest I have ever seen it.

sagacious
05-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Dirt Farmer,
Sounds good, congrats on your success! 13grs Green Dot with the 210gr 311284, according to Lyman data, could be good for about 1450fps.

I often find that soft lube gives me much better results than a hard lube. It's one of those "use what works" things.

Good shooting. :drinks:

cajun shooter
05-12-2010, 09:25 AM
When it comes to lubes you will find 100 guys who swear that what they use is the best and what you use is all wrong for various reasons. You might want to give some of Lar's lubes a try. The BAC and 2500 for starts. You can also use some beeswax and Bullplate to make Speed Green for that range.

geargnasher
05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
To quote another member here who put it so well: "what works in my back yard may not work in yours." A forgotten point that leads to so many arguments over facts here. If it works, it works, I won't tell you to change!

Gear