PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunting opportunities?

MtGun44
05-10-2010, 08:12 PM
I see that hogs are really taking over a lot of the southern states, apparently
doing a lot of damage, too.

Any folks out there that would let me come down some time and help out
with the hog situation. I'm a pretty fair shot with pistol and not too bad
with a rifle, either.

I'd be happy to camp out on somebodies south 40 and just kill a few to
help out, probably bring some meat home - not too certain how good they
are for eating, tho. No need for any time spent entertaining me other than
making sure I know where I am permitted to go and not go, and any other
rules of the place to make sure I stay on the right side of the rules.

Bill

Matt_G
05-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I've wanted to do this myself.
The problem I keep running into though is the money they want.
It kills me to see a lot of people in say Texas for example, complaining about the hogs taking over and destroying stuff, then pleading for people to come down and hunt them. Yet when you approach them about helping them with their problem, they want to charge you for the privilege!
I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna pay them to help them with their problem.

That's akin to my neighbor coming over and asking for help moving a couch and then wanting to charge me money to enter his house.
I don't think so Scooter... :roll:

I have no problem with people making $$ on something like this, but if they are going to charge money to hunt hogs, the hogs aren't a problem. They are a cash crop.

Now I'm not saying everyone is doing this but many are. I would love to find someone who would just like some help with their problem hogs and not want to fleece me in the process.

hoosierlogger
05-12-2010, 11:00 AM
My late cousins wife bought him a hunt a year before he died at Cumberland ranch in Tenn. He said it had a very nice lodge, butcher shop and taxidermist. The chops were a bit different in appearance and taste. The meat was more of a gray than a white meat, but the taste was far more flavorful. I would love to do the same thing you are wanting to do Bill, but I figure soon enough we will have them here and Ill get my chance and not have to drive across two states. I think it would be fun to go out west and waste a bunch of prairie dogs too.

Gee_Wizz01
05-12-2010, 06:49 PM
The problem you are having is that Texas is nearly all private property, with very little public land. A few hunters have ruined it for most people. My family has a small ranch, and my Dad used to lease for deer hunting and dove hunting, he did so for two or three years and then got totally fed up with the problems and quit. Dad had a few simple rules; don't exceed the limits, follow all the laws, no drinking, no bringing friends, don't shoot .the livestock, clean up your littler, pick up shotgun shells. The first year he threw to hunters out for being drunk, the land was always filthy with litter, and one guy got caught with 30 doves on opening day of dove hunting (limit was 10). The second year a hunter killed a cow and left without telling anyone. The third year hunter got caught with more deer than tags and also for spot lighting. Every year dad threw people out for drinking. Dad won't let anyone but family hunt now. Most of the other local farmers and ranchers have all had the same problems with "Hunters". The pigs are a problem, but after you shoot one or two, they don't show up for a while, unless you have oats or corn. We gave up on crops in the early '80s and just grow grass for grazing. I think a couple of the ranches charge between $100 to $200 for pigs based on weight/size. Some charge a lot more. In the past years most didn't charge if you didn't get anything. It's not fair but as usual a few ruin it for many.

G

jmsj
05-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Matt G,
Same thing happened in central coastal California back in the late 70's early 80's.

roverboy
05-12-2010, 09:01 PM
MtGun44, yeah it ain't as simple as it should be. I'd like to hunt hogs too but there's not any around where I hunt and most places that do have hogs charge for them. Here in Tn. there's several places to hunt hogs and other game but it ain't cheap.

Matt_G
05-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks for relating another side to that coin Gee_Whiz01.
I appreciate that.
I have to admit that isn't something that I had considered, and what you said in your post makes a lot of sense.

wills
05-12-2010, 10:11 PM
I
I'd be happy to camp out on somebodies south 40 and just kill a few to
help out, probably bring some meat home - not too certain how good they
are for eating, tho.

Bill

Young ones are good eating, and there are those who claim to know how to get good meat from the old ones.

DIRT Farmer
05-12-2010, 11:53 PM
I watch the farm shows and hear reports about hog dammage all over the south. As a land owner I can appreciate the nerveness at a stranger wanting to hunt and camp but the reports state damage to forest land. You might have luck with the DNRs

giz189
05-13-2010, 02:20 AM
MtGun44, all but the big boars are very tasty, we eat 15 to 20 a year we kill off of our deer camp lease. In fact, I killed 3 during our turkey season that just ended. They are taking over our food plots again, they do this about once every 5 years. You can make the older boars edible, if you can stand to skin them. We have a guy from South Louisiana that hunts with us and he doesn't throw any of them away. I understand he takes the bigger or older boars and keeps them iced down for 7 to 10 days, in an ice chest, draining the water daily. He may add a little salt too, I'm not sure. If you get a chance, jump on it, you will like it.

Thumbcocker
05-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Group buy on hog hunts?