PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Glocks for me/LE issue and carry

44fanatic
05-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Just started working as a jail deputy for the local Sheriffs dept. Issue weapon will be a Glock 22 (40 Cal). Wife just OK'd me buying a Glock 19 (9mm) as a off duty carry weapon.

Figured I would go with a Glock as a carry weapon so that I would be familiar with both weapons. Went with the 9mm as I already have all the reloading and casting equipment.

Might sneek in reloading gear for the G22 a while down the road.

Question for those of you with issued weapons: Do you ever fire cast boolits through them?

If some of you recall my post here awhile back about a possible source of lead...looks like I may be able to get the range lead. Figure I can start filling up another bucket with jackets for recycleing to support the casting habit...BTW, are jackets pure copper?

cheese1566
05-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Our dept policy says it is a no-no for any load other than new or commercial remanufactured in any department issued gun. They supply the duty and practice ammo; but unfortunatley they have limits and quantities. Typically Cor-Bon and Black Hills Ammo since they are right down the road.

44fanatic
05-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Good point. Need to check the dept policy on reloads and boolits. They dont issue practice ammo, only ammo for quarterly quals. If you fail that, you gotta buy your own for practice.

crabo
05-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Put a different barrel in your 19 and shoot the **** outta it. I wouldn't do any mods like a different trigger in your own gun that hasn't been done to your issue gun. Keep them feeling the same and the controls the same. That's why you are buying your own Glock, right? To become proficent with your duty gun? I could see modifications if you were buying a different gun, but that is not your reason for buying another Glock.

Muscle memory is the key, in my opinion, to be able to shoot both of them well.

deltaenterprizes
05-11-2010, 06:33 AM
I had a Glock 17L that hadover11,000 lead bullets through it before I sold it. I would not recommend lead in the Glock 22.
Just my $.02, you should have bought a Glock 23 or 27 for duty for ammo and magazine compatibility.

44fanatic
05-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Got myself straight after posting this...its a G26 that I bought today. Have to carry it concealed. Functioning and familiarty are the key points on me going with the Glock and already having the reloading/casting equipment took me to the 9mm.

Cannot use reloads or cast boolits in the issued G22. Guess I need to find cheap ammo. Plan on spending plenty of the time at the police dept range on my days off once they get it cleaned up from the flooding...was under at least 14 feet of water.

How are the Lone Wolf barrels for the G26?