PDA

View Full Version : Babbet

parrott1969
05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
What is babbet? Guy at the local gun store asked me if I would pay him $5 for 10-15 pound block of this "stuff". I thought what the hell and agreed. It turned out to be an ingot that is about 5 inches round, dome shaped and 3 inches tall. It has the foundry stamped onto it and also the word Babbet. Good stuff or junk?

deltaenterprizes
05-10-2010, 07:52 PM
It is used for bearings,there is lead babbitt and tin babbitt. Tin babbitt is about 90% tin with copper and some antimony and High speed babbitt has some nickle. I have about 250 lbs of tin babbitt.
Do a Google search for "babbitt" and you will find out more. Babbitt is the mans name the developed it.

starbits
05-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Babbitt is good stuff. Contains lead and tin, but the proportions vary widely as do additional metals in the alloy. Can be anywhere from 15 - 85% lead with most of the rest being tin.

Starbits

badgeredd
05-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Tin based babbit usually has less than 1/2% lead. Do a search on the net for babbit. Rotometals sells some babbit alloys and have the chemical make-up posted to give you an idea of how much babbit can vary is content.

Edd