PDA

View Full Version : Early 336 lock work

Marlin Junky
07-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I have two 336's (one's a 30-30 "G" gun and the other a .35 Rem "H" gun) with 1950 hammers and triggers in them (the "G" gun has its original lock work).

I stoned the 30-30's lock work to give about a 1-1/4 pound trigger pull and the .35 is approximately 3 pounds, using new unaltered Marlin mainsprings.

What I'd like to do now is harden the engagement surfaces so they don't wear... especially on the 30-30!

Thanks for the help.
MJ

Marlin Junky
07-28-2006, 04:26 PM
OK... maybe I'm asking the wrong question.

Does anyone know what kind of steel Marlin used for its lock parts 55 years ago? Medium carbon, high-carbon, 4140, or some other alloy? After stoning two hammers and two one-piece triggers I don't think the parts are case-hardened mild steel... but I could be wrong.

MJ

Dale53
07-29-2006, 01:03 AM
I did a trigger job on my Marlin 25/20 (modern version) and have never had the trigger pull change. It apparently is hardened clear through (both hammer and trigger).

I you find that the trigger and hammer is "soft" you can use Casenite for a good case hardened finish. It is easily done with nothing more than a propane torch.

Dale53

Marlin Junky
07-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Dale,

I don't think the parts are made of mild steel and probably will not case harden. I tried to contact Marlin last week but everyone who knows anything about the old guns was on vacation so I'll try again later. If in fact the parts are made of medium carbon steel I may heat them to cherry red and quench in ATF... does that make sense? If the parts are made of high carbon steel I should probably just leave them alone... right?

While the 30-30 with the 1-1/4 pound trigger pull will not go off if the butt is dropped on a carpeted floor from about 6 or 7 inches, there's not much engagement surface left.

Before you all decide I'm stupid for wanting a 30-30 with a 1-1/4 pound trigger pull, it's not a hunting rifle.

MJ

357maximum
08-07-2006, 09:34 PM
"Before you all decide I'm stupid for wanting a 30-30 with a 1-1/4 pound trigger pull, it's not a hunting rifle."

Well I may be a stupid, but it sounds like a perfect hunting rifle to me.