PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts or expreience with .35 Whelen AI.

WallyM3
05-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I just assembled a Mauser '98 in .35 Whelen. During the process, I was arguing with myself about doing it AI instead of Whelen's straight up .30-'06 modification. Since I had all the gages at hand and the reamer clock was ticking, I went ahead with the standard version.

There are no iron sights, so the set back issue is null. I kind of like the idea of the additional head spacing surface that I'd pick up and the modest capacity increase, but thought I'd ask around these parts and maybe flush out unexpected pluses and minuses.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Nobade
05-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Not much difference in the two performance wise, you've already built the normal one, and dies for the one you've got are a lot cheaper. I'd keep it.

GBertolet
05-10-2010, 09:34 AM
I have the AI version built on a Winchester P17 Enfield. I was convinced by the gunsmith to go for the AI version over the std Whelen. I have Redding dies which cost about 20 dollars more than the std. The reasons given were less stretching of cases, due to more of a shoulder to headspace on and more velocity. All seem to be true as I have had minimal stretching. I say seem, because I don't have a plain 35 Whelen to compare it to. Load data is scarce for the AI. My gunsmith said start at the max data for the Whelen and work up, and stop when you run into pressure signs. I wasn't all that comfortable doing it this way as excessive pressure signs are sometimes quite subtle. But I did it anyway. I am using the 250gr Speer Hot Core bullet. The powder charge I settled on was 8 grains over the regular Whelen maximum, for 2714 fps giving me a little over 4000 ft lbs. The primers were just starting to show signs of pressure so I stopped there. Extraction was easy, as well as resizing. I haven't a clue what the pressure is, as I am in uncharted territory, but it has to be up there. I have taken moose and caribou with this load, having complete penetration and dropping them on the spot. I don't know what could have been achieved in this rifle, chambered in the regular Whelen at the same pressure levels. This conversion is very controversial as to what can be gained. Some experience little, while others experience significant gains. I guess it depend on many factors that chance brings together in each individual case.

WallyM3
05-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Ackley suggests a 5% increase in loads and velocity, which doesn't seem like that much of gain when going to .358 Norma would give me an excuse to make another rifle.

I'm not much of a fan of uncharted territory. Minor changes in variables can result in significant pressure increases, though your results sound interesting.

And, as Nobade points out, the gun is done and I've already got the dies, etc.

Mk42gunner
05-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Personally I can't see where there would be much improvement inpractical ballistics.

I built one .35 Whelen with an Adams & Bennet barrel, it shoots too good to mess with it. I started building another VZ-24 with a Shilen barrel, but got sidetracked halfway through the process; I have been thinking about making it into either a .358 Norma Magnum, or a .358-.338 for afew years now.

Robert

wgr
10-10-2010, 12:03 AM
other than the barrel what do you have to do to covert a 98k mauser to 35whelen

elk hunter
10-10-2010, 10:25 AM
other than the barrel what do you have to do to covert a 98k mauser to 35whelen

You will want to lengthen the magazine box as the case is 5mm longer on the Whelen than the 8 x 57. You may have to do some tuning and or use a different follower to get it to feed. Nothing all that difficult.

Mk42gunner
10-11-2010, 01:13 AM
wgr,

I built my first Whelen on a vz24 action. I didn't have to do anything to it as far as feeding goes. My recommendation is to use two reamers; one for the case and a separate throating reamer. The throat on mine is very long, I believe I could seat a 300 grain bullet and still have room in the neck of the case.

Un fortunately I do not remember who made my reamer.

Robert

NVScouter
01-06-2011, 07:15 PM
You will want to lengthen the magazine box as the case is 5mm longer on the Whelen than the 8 x 57. You may have to do some tuning and or use a different follower to get it to feed. Nothing all that difficult.

What about on a FN Mauser in 30-06? My Dad wants this done to his one day.

flounderman
01-06-2011, 08:18 PM
all the whelen is, is a 35-06. you can seat the bullets so it will work in the magazine. you are building a hunting rifle and it will probably shoot better than you will, even if the seating is a little short. as for pressure, you are handloading and tailor the load for the rifle. you will see some difference between standard and improved, and magnum cases, when you use the lighter bullets. when you use the heavier bullets, the difference becomes less. you will have less expense, and less brass problems with a standard case. you can make a conversion cost as much as you want it to, or you can keep the price down and still have a rifle that for practical purposes will do anything the more expensive rifle will.