PDA

View Full Version : TL on bullet noses helps feeding?

NuJudge
05-09-2010, 07:15 PM
I've always been bothered by Tumble Lube on my bullet noses, mostly because of lube buildup in my Seating die, but also because they look messy. Maybe some good comes from lube on the nose.

I was testing .40 S&W handloads today useing Lee's 175gr TL SWC. The bullets dropped from the mold at .402". The powder charge was 7.9gr of AA#7. The only difference between the two loads was that one was made up with bullets Tumble Lubed, sized .401", then TLed again; the other used bullets that were simply Tumble Lubed and loaded. All the cartridges were run through a Lee Factory Crimp die and were the same OD and had the same "crimp" (actually just straightened out).

There was no hint of Leading in the barrel from TL/sized/TL bullets. There was a slight hint of Leading in the barrel from the Lubed only bullts. The TL-only bullets seemed to be slightly more accurate.

I had two identical jams in 20 rounds during the Tumble Lubed only loads, both where the front of the cartridge had entered the chamber, but the slide was 3/8" short of closing. No jams with the cartridges using TL/sized/TL bullets. Has anyone else seen a similar effect?

Recluse
05-09-2010, 09:06 PM
I had two identical jams in 20 rounds during the Tumble Lubed only loads, both where the front of the cartridge had entered the chamber, but the slide was 3/8" short of closing. No jams with the cartridges using TL/sized/TL bullets. Has anyone else seen a similar effect?

I used to get a bit peeved at "dirty boolits" that came from the LLA lube. After I begin blending it with the JPW, I found several things happened:

--I got no more tackiness

--No more buildup in the seating die

--Boolits looked "cleaner"

--Zero feed jams

Maybe just a coincidence, but in this magical, mystical dark art of boolit-casting, I'll take all the favorable coincidences that come my way. :)

:coffee: