PDA

View Full Version : Rooster jacket

buck1
05-09-2010, 04:12 PM
I tryed this on some lee 200 rnfp 44 spls. It worked very well. no sticky to them at all. I was happy with it and thought i would post as such...Buck

imashooter2
05-09-2010, 07:56 PM
I've used RJ on my high usage .38 Special and .45 ACP loads for a number of years now. I like it very much. Unlike LLA it quickly dries clean and hard. Just the ticket for the stuff I load an ammo can at a time and store loose in same.

The down side is it isn't much of a lube as velocities climb. LLA is much better after 900 fps or so.

buck1
05-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I agree %100! For low vel stuff its the ticket!

leadman
05-10-2010, 08:01 PM
May have to give it a try. Sure gets old pulling that handle on the sizer.

Nick10Ring
05-10-2010, 08:31 PM
I,ve been casting and reloading for years. I tried some Rooster Jacket and it seems to dry caked up on the bullets unless I dilute it a little. I follow the directions as they came with it. What am I doing wrong?. Everybody talks about a clear dry finish. I get areas which are caked up.

Nick10Ring@aol.com

thenaaks
05-10-2010, 08:58 PM
i use a think layer on top of lla to cover the stickiness...i figure it is better than mica or talcum powder because it adds a little lube too. been getting good results at up to 1300 fps

imashooter2
05-10-2010, 11:48 PM
I,ve been casting and reloading for years. I tried some Rooster Jacket and it seems to dry caked up on the bullets unless I dilute it a little. I follow the directions as they came with it. What am I doing wrong?. Everybody talks about a clear dry finish. I get areas which are caked up.

Nick10Ring@aol.com

Are you spreading them in a single layer to dry?

imashooter2
05-10-2010, 11:51 PM
i use a think layer on top of lla to cover the stickiness...i figure it is better than mica or talcum powder because it adds a little lube too. been getting good results at up to 1300 fps

I've taken LLA over 1,900 fps with no issues. Can't do near that with just Rooster Jacket. You might want to try JPW over the LLA. Does the same job, but a lot cheaper...

RayinNH
05-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Nick, you may have to dilute it. I've had a bottle about five years now. When I went to use it a couple months back, after having used it about a year ago, the last time, it was much thicker than the previous time. I just diluted with a bit of water and all is well again. So if you've had the bottle any length of time it may very well need diluting...Ray

mdi
05-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Anybody know what it's made of? I'd likely try a homemade version...

imashooter2
05-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I wrote to Rooster and they sent me an MSDS. I'm at work now, but I'll try to find it when I get home. It's basically emulsified wax.

buck1
05-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Nick10Ring@aol.com

Mine looked like they had a smooth clear coat (think clear paint look) evenly over them.

fecmech
05-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Anybody know what it's made of? I'd likely try a homemade version...

I'm just guessing but I think it's a floor wax product.

imashooter2
05-23-2010, 02:52 PM
I looked for and didn't find the MSDS. Some sort of commercial floor wax might be an accurate assessment.

buck1
05-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I think that may be right.

fryboy
05-23-2010, 05:14 PM
i admit i like the finish of it as opposed to LLA ,my two batches of LLA/JPW/MS is indeed less tacky and very much not as ummm obnoxious as the stuff straight ... i cant help but wonder who's shooting it to 1400 fps regularly as they state on the website ... there they also state it was designed for manufactured swaged bullets ,it does remind me of some adulterd floor wax i recall from my younger days tho ,as a side note i have a few i lubed that i test once a week with the lee tester ..they always seem to pucker up around the ball imprint perhaps even flake up just a wee bit would be a better description ? - other than that it's hard to tell it's even there i also admit i havent taken it much past target velocities ( ie; 8-900-ish fps ) i keep thinking i should make a screen for the boolits cuz on this stuff if u just leave them lay they do get a flat spot of lube on the bottom and standing them up is a slippery proposition requiring a few finger rinsings in the process lolz