PDA

View Full Version : 303 Lee Enfield Varminter for Paper Patching

303Guy
05-09-2010, 02:48 AM
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-685F-1.jpg

Hi folks. I have started a thread on this topic under "Smokeless Paper Patching".
It's a sporterized 1902 Lee Enfield fitted with a new No.4 barrel and, of course, is scoped.

Might I invite those of you who don't normally read the Paper Patch forum to join me there?

Your input into making an old war-horse do something a little different would be appreciated - I need a good use for her! :mrgreen:
Thank you. :drinks:

Multigunner
05-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Theres a lot of these old rifles that have been sporterized already, some cutdown nearly a century ago. Restoring them can cost several times their collector value and many parts for such restorations may be unavailable anyway.

If I had the cash to spare I'd buy up cutdown rifles and finish them out as custom sporting rifles. The old williams catalogs show some mighty fine looking sporter conversions.
Many military actions have unique handling qualities that can make them superior to most modern sporting rifles, the Enfield short stroke action makes it a fine brush gun, with quick follow up shots.

I also have been working on fitting a No.4 barrel to an old Lithgow action, I need to finish it out some day.
When I do I'll probably cut a notch in the charger guide as a rear sight, fit a home made front sight to its already shortened barrel, and file it to hit dead center using my favorite load, then record any shift in POI when using other loads. Then I'll probably just set it aside as a back up rifle whose sights will always be dead on and ready for ammo stored with it.

When using my favorite 150 gr bullet load in my scoped No.4 and the sight set for 100 yards, mil spec .303 hits dead center at 300 yards and only a little high at closer ranges. Same goes when the back up peep apeture is used, a dead center hold at 100 yards for the 150 grain, and a six o'clock hold for the 174-180 gr loads puts any choice of ammo on target.