PDA

View Full Version : First smelt / melt

Doby45
05-08-2010, 09:28 PM
I decided to take the plunge today and melt my first batch of WW. All I did today was a 3gal bucket 2/3 full of stick ons. I have decided that the wind is both a blessing and a curse. The blessing comes from blowing that God awful stank smoke away and the curse is when it gusts so hard it blows the fire out of your turkey fryer.

First I got together all my tools and set them up out in the backyard. My daughter said it looked like a redneck meth lab. Well, what does she know? I got my slotted spoon, my solid spoon, a couple of ladles, thermometer, muffin pans (they sucked), my smelting pot and the turkey fryer.

http://i40.tinypic.com/es0swj.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/hte2bq.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/vzc1gx.jpg

It was like watching a pot of water boil, took forever to get my temperature adjusted. It stayed at 550 for a while and the pot was large enough that one part would be melted and the edge here or there would solidify. So, I decided to turn it up a bit and see if I could get it to sit around 650. That seemed to work much better and allowed me to keep the pot liquid from side to side. I stirred the pot with my Homer Depot 5gal paint stick and fluxed with beeswax from my hives. Worked great and smelled good too.

http://i39.tinypic.com/9prsk8.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/wlsls0.jpg

I ended up using the top portion of the propane tank that I cut in half as my "slag/dross" pot. Worked like a champ and there was a cool little trick I will tell you about when I get to the clean up.

http://i44.tinypic.com/8vfm.jpg

I ended up destroying my muffin pans because I bought the el cheapos at Wal-Mart and the cups like to separate from the pan. I did not get pics of the busted up pans because I got mad about it and threw them away. For the record the silver pan in the picture was WAY worse than the darker ones. At least the dark pan's cups released after a solid whack on the bottom with a rubber mallet. I had to literally remove the silver cups with a pair of side cutters.

All in all I got about 70lbs of muffins from the bucket of stick ons. I got 46 muffins that weighted approximately 1.5lb each. I also have a plug of lead that was left in the bottom of the pot to use as a "starter" next time I melt stick ons. I figure that I had read enough about it helping to get a melt started. I would say it weights at least 6lbs by itself.

http://i44.tinypic.com/s3m4px.jpg

Now when it came to clean up, I put all my stuff in the original bucket that the stick ons were in. All my ladles, spoons, thermometer, gloves and so forth. Then I took the now empty pot and the empty "slag/dross" pot and put them back together with a strip of duct tape. So it looks like a normal propane tank with a band of tape around it. Clever huh? :wink:

Well, it was more work than I thought but it was a ton of fun and I still have a full 5gal bucket of clip ons that I will process after I get some proper ingot molds.

But most of all, thanks to each of you and this forum. I would not have even attepmted this if I had not studied up on it here. Hopefully I will be making them into straight shooting boolits soon. :Fire:

45nut
05-08-2010, 10:08 PM
A fine job and a great post! Glad you have the help and the knowledge to pass on to the next guy!

rondog
05-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Hmmmm, I like the idea of the propane tank cut in half! Is this a commonly done thing, or your idea? Does it work OK? Does the base seem stable enough? I have a turkey fryer stand exactly like that one. Also have a stack of Goodwill Store muffin pans. I bet I can scrounge a damaged propane tank somewhere.

Doby45
05-08-2010, 10:34 PM
The tank worked perfectly. I am pretty sure I read about using a tank here on another thread. The funny thing was the neighbors watching me cut into it. Little did they know I had filled it with water.

Doby45
05-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Oh, one other thing. Not to say all these people talking about the "Tinsel Fairy" are wrong but I discovered today she does not come out as quickly as some say she does.

Case in point, I was pouring my muffins from my large ladle and on more than one occasion a huge bead of sweat landed right in the pot. Nothing more than a quick 'psssttt" happened. Upon seeing that happen and not getting a visit from the "fairy" I surmised that it would require the submersion of some type of watery fluid UNDER the surface of the lead to coax out the mean lady with wings. When I was down to my last bit I was even tempted to go grab a bug and toss its butt in there, but I did not feel like being mean to a bug.

So yes, I will be careful when it comes to inserting something into the molten pool but other than that I see no cause for alarm.

Edubya
05-08-2010, 11:33 PM
No reason for alarm, just RESPECT!

Yep, very good post. I will just say that your concern for pretty ingots might be over-rated. Once we melt down and clean the WWs, whether they be stickies or clip ons. it is irrelevant to what they look like. I like clean uniform ingots, but will weigh them and throw 'em into the casting pot and they all come out looking like boolits, regardless of the pre-cast looks.

EW

05-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Doby45,
Excellent.

WHITETAIL
05-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Doby45 Welcome to the forum.
And you may be able to teach us a few things.[smilie=l:

Typecaster
05-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Just like Santa Claus, the Tinsel Fairy does exist. Sweat or even a few raindrops ON molten lead goes pssss…moisture IN the lead—wet WWs added to the melt, or even on a rusty iron ladle—turns to steam and expands real quick.

Be careful.

Richard

Doby45
05-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Oh yhea, I figured if I submerged something with any type of liquid on it I would get a visit. I rested each of my "tools" on the melt prior to submerging. But I have seen so many of the "well this bird flew over and pooped and it left a nuclear crater in my back yard" posts. I would think that it would have the same effect as a poop landing on an iron skillet.

WILCO
05-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Doby45 Welcome to the forum.
And you may be able to teach us a few things.[smilie=l:

Ditto for me!

imashooter2
05-09-2010, 02:59 PM
A fine first effort! Might just be the pictures, but it looks to me like you have a lot of lead in that "slag/dross." You might want to spend a little more time with the flux and be more careful skimming...

4719dave
05-09-2010, 03:26 PM
nicely done .I'm just pu lead ww etc now and all the goodies i need to ask a nebeeeee question why did you write pb on the muffin lead . I WAS GIVEN 30 BABY LEAD MUFFINS FOR FREE AND THE HAVE A H OR ITS AN I any insite .you guys are great im so glad i found this site .

Doby45
05-09-2010, 04:19 PM
A fine first effort! Might just be the pictures, but it looks to me like you have a lot of lead in that "slag/dross." You might want to spend a little more time with the flux and be more careful skimming...

Actually, I did go back and hand pick some of the larger pieces of lead out of the dross. And in the future will be much more careful skimming, thank you for the suggestion.

nicely done .I'm just pu lead ww etc now and all the goodies i need to ask a nebeeeee question why did you write pb on the muffin lead . I WAS GIVEN 30 BABY LEAD MUFFINS FOR FREE AND THE HAVE A H OR ITS AN I any insite .you guys are great im so glad i found this site .

I wrote Pb on the muffins because they were my stick-ons which are very soft and as close as I will probably get to pure lead. Lead's periodic element symbol is Pb. I can't think of any reason someone would write an I or H on a muffin.

Recluse
05-09-2010, 04:25 PM
The PB is for pure lead. I also keep my ingots separated by pureness/content.

The Tinsel Fairy? First time I got acquainted firsthand with her was many years ago during our first smelt and cast attempt at an Air Force hobby shop garage.

Idiots that me and my shooting partner were, we thought if we water-quenched the ingots, that would make the lead even harder when we remelted it and then water quenched the .430 boolits we were going to be casting.

Genius that I was, I said, "Hey! If (water) quenching once is good, then quenching twice will be TWICE as good."

Problem is, nobody had told us about the Tinsel Fairy.

The old almost retired E-8 who ran the shop saw what we were doing and began frantically racing over to us, cursing loudly at us to STOP. And when I dropped a half-dozen freshly quenched ingots into the molten mix, that old beer-bellied E-8 put on the brakes just like a Roadrunner/Wily E. Coyote cartoon and started backpeddling as fast he could, this time cursing VERY loudly.

KABOOOMWHOOOSHBOOOM!!!

Air Force boys, meet the Tinsel Fairy.

We spend the next four days of off-duty time scraping up lead from that old sergeants pristine garage.

I've only met the Fairy one other time, and she was a pre-PMS fairy, but it still shook me a bit. She ain't one to be trifled with.

:coffee:

MJR007
05-09-2010, 05:21 PM
An E-8 run - ya right...Now that was funny.

Bkid
05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Good job Doby.What happend to the poor muffin pans?

frankenfab
05-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Great account. Smelting certainly is alot of fun. I will never forget when I was introduced to it, and I have yet to encounter anyone who is not " awestruck" when a nasty pile is transformed into beautiful gleaming ingots. Stirring a pot of molten lead for the first time is another unique experience, a very unnatural feeling..

Doby45
05-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Good job Doby.What happend to the poor muffin pans?

Well when I flipped them over to pop the ingots out the ingots did not come out, but the ingots and the cups came of the main plate together. So I basically had ingots with cups on them. I had heard this can and would happen with the pans that had the cups "crimped in" like most all mufifn pans do these days. Well the darker pans just required a whack from a rubber mallet but the cups from the silver pan had to literally be peeled off the ingots. That whole part of this process sucked. I am now looking at getting the condiment cups...

Fugowii
05-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Well when I flipped them over to pop the ingots out the ingots did not come out, but the ingots and the cups came of the main plate together. So I basically had ingots with cups on them. I had heard this can and would happen with the pans that had the cups "crimped in" like most all mufifn pans do these days. Well the darker pans just required a whack from a rubber mallet but the cups from the silver pan had to literally be peeled off the ingots. That whole part of this process sucked. I am now looking at getting the condiment cups...

Keep your eye out for the cast iron muffin pans. They work great!

kirb
05-10-2010, 09:34 AM
DOBY45,

What did you cut the propane tank with grinder, OXY/ACE, air arc.

Kirb

Doby45
05-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I used my circular saw with a friction blade. Took no time and was cheap. The blades at Home Depot were like $1.75 a piece and it took 1.5 to cut the tank. Looked like the blade below but it was not Vermont American, it wasn't even wrapped. It is in the hardware corral section.

http://i42.tinypic.com/30vcaw4.jpg

4719dave
05-12-2010, 10:19 PM
wow i cut a tank in half today you should have seen my neighbors face PRICELESS