PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Brass Manufacturing?

Bullet Head
05-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I can't find any pictures of equipment they used in the 1800's to make some of the first rimmed cartridge cases. Anyone have any idea what they were using?

jlchucker
05-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I haven't been down there recently, but you may want to inquire at the American Precision Museum in Windsor VT. They operate out of what's left of the old Robbins & Lawrence armory, and specializing in the display and history of American machine tools. Their collection consists of old machinery from all over the country, and includes examples of many early rifle and stockmaking machines. They have an extensive library, and may be a good place to ask. As a point of information, at one time the employees of Robbins & Lawrence included a young group of workers with bright ideas, such as B. Tyler Henry, Horace Smith, Daniel Wesson, Christian Sharps, and a few others-all at the same time. The company was apparently too busy with other projects to do much with the ideas these kids had, so they all left to peddle their ideas elsewhere.

Bullet Head
05-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Sounds promising. I'll look them up. Thanks.

ReloaderFred
05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
They probably used the same type of machines they use today, punch presses. While I haven't toured a cartridge plant, I have toured both the Sierra Bullets plant and the Nosler Bullets plant. They both use WW II punch presses for most of the jacket drawing, core seating and final forming. The process is very similar with regards to forming bullet jackets and cartridge cases.

Hope this helps.

Fred