PDA

View Full Version : Ok, 30 cal gas checks on...

armoredman
05-08-2010, 02:38 PM
...my .311 sized boolits. Now, the lube I have is LLA, apply the same way, rolling around in a tupperware, or something differant? I haven't used gas checks ever before.

Wayne Smith
05-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Did you run them through a sizing die or just press the checks on? You need to seal them with a sizing die, and a Lee die will do it. If LLA is all you have then yes, that's how you use it. I wouldn't trust it with more than 30-30 speeds, though.

Have you any BullShop Sprue Plate Lube? Any beeswax? Follow his formula and you have Speed Green and an adequate lube for most any speed.

JSAND
05-08-2010, 08:08 PM
I use Recluse's recipe of 45% LLA/45% Johnson's Paste Wax/10% Mineral Spirits tumble lubed in a cool whip bowl on my gas checked .243 Win and have had no problems up into the 2200-2260 fps range. I Lube, allow to dry, run them through the Lee sizer to GC them, and then re lube and let dry again, Load them up and shoot. I have had no problems with leading using a 10 to 1 mix of WW/Linotype lead. There are lots of suggestions and recipes in the Lube Section of this site.

armoredman
05-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I ran them through a Lee push through sizer to size to .311 and press the gas checks on. I was planning on loading slow to begin with, rifle is a CZ 527 bolt action carbine - love that rifle!
I lubed with Hornady One Shot for sizing, yes, not the usual, but I've been using it on boolits for a while with good results.
I have a dribble of Bullplate left, barely enough to wet a mould...need more...
Thanks for the suggestions! It's good to be back!

Wayne Smith
05-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Sounds like you are good to go for a start. When you find a little leading at the muzzle end of your barrel you will need to re-evaluate your lube.

armoredman
05-09-2010, 02:41 PM
One Shot is just for sizing, I put on some LLA today, thanks! I will have to get some more Bullplate soon...

steg
05-09-2010, 03:02 PM
After the gas checks are placed on the boolit, I run them through the Lee push through backwards, that way you won't distort the tip, If the Boolit has a large enough meplat then you can do it all in one sizing operation..............steg

Gohon
05-09-2010, 03:28 PM
After the gas checks are placed on the boolit, I run them through the Lee push through backwards, that way you won't distort the tip,

Hate to tell you this but that is the perfect way to distort the bullet nose. All the pressure from the ram is being applied to the nose of the bullet which will never be centered properly. Running them through the correct way only has pressure on the nose from 3-4 bullets that are up inside the sizer that have no resistance against the nose because they have already gone through the sizer. You may not be able to see the distortion on a 30 caliber by running them backwards but it is there.

armoredman
05-09-2010, 10:03 PM
I placed them on the normal way, and they seem to want to stay on. :) Lubed lightly with LLA this morning before work, drying right now, should be ready to load tomorrow. That's about 48 hours, enough time to cure?