PDA

View Full Version : How to store homemade lube sticks

ghh3rd
05-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Ok, now I have my first five homemade Felix Lube sticks, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to store them. I was thinking of wrapping them in either wax paper, plastic wrap, or aluminum foil, but am concerned that the sticks may adhere to any or all of these materials.

What have you been sucessful with?

Big Country
05-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Zip-Lok bag in the freezer

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I have most always just used plastic wrap and then put them in a box in the drawer. Not a problem with the lube I use/make.

Aluminum foil can snag an tear, so the plactic wrap is my choice.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Recluse
05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I cut strips of wax paper, from The Dollar Store, to the length of the stick of lube, then wrap the lube in the wax paper once or twice. Once wrapped, I store the sticks in small rubbermaid type containers I get at The Dollar Store. The containers then go on one of my shelves in the reloading shop.

The Dollar Store is a boolit caster's best friend. :)

:coffee:

wistlepig1
05-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I second what Recluse said and store in freezer.

NuJudge
05-09-2010, 08:05 AM
You guys who store it in the freezer must not be married.

Elkins45
05-09-2010, 08:45 AM
It it adheres to wax paper then it isn't much of a lube!

Dale53
05-09-2010, 09:49 AM
I no longer make my own lube. However, I buy Lars Carnauba Red sticks in zip lock bags and have been happy storing them just as they come in my climate controlled shop.

FWIW
Dale53

cajun shooter
05-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I store my homemade lube sticks in freezer bags and then put them into the veggie drawer in the frige. I have a very good wife. My 83 year old moter visited about two weeks ago and asked my wife why she kept her candles in the fridge. We all had a big laugh on that one.

fredj338
05-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Zip-Lok bag in the freezer
Yep, sipmle. easy, cheap.

wistlepig1
05-09-2010, 08:59 PM
You guys who store it in the freezer must not be married.

I can't speak for others but I have a VERY understanding wife of 40+ years and she evens bought me a coupe of rifles and one nice S&w 45acp. Now that's a good wife!

sqlbullet
05-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Freezer.

And, I generally cook far more than the wife, and don't know when the last time she opened the freezer was.

Now, she was a little miffed when I spilled felix lube on the range about a month ago...but only because of the smell.

Calamity Jake
05-11-2010, 09:46 AM
I wrap mine in wax paper then with sharpie pin lable lube type and month/year made then store in a plastic shoe box.
I don't understand why some store it in there freezer

Dale53
05-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I wrap mine in wax paper then with sharpie pin lable lube type and month/year made then store in a plastic shoe box.
I don't understand why some store it in there freezer

Some home made lube will deteriorate over time (some of the ingredients will go rancid). The freezer slows down that deterioration.

However, my choice these days is to use Lars White Label Carnauba Red. I have not seen any deterioration with NRA 50/50 lube (50% Pure Natural Beeswax and 50% Alox) nor would I expect to see any with Carnauba Red over any rational period.

I have had bullets stored for ten years in an unheated attached garage lubed with 50/50 without noticeable deterioration. This was with home mixed NRA 50/50 mix.

FWIW
Dale53