View Full Version : R Guns uppers

Firebricker
05-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I've been looking at R Guns M4 upper recievers and am looking for some opinions on their quality. Some details of what I'm wanting is 100% reliable with decent accuracy. I'm not expecting 1/4" moa groups @ 100 yards just wanting to put together a good shooter. Thank's in advance FB

dk17hmr
05-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Are you planing on building an upper or buying one?

StarMetal
05-08-2010, 05:24 PM
M4 upper receivers have a different feed ramp cut into them. The are much pronounced or larger. You have to use a barrel extension that matches these feed cuts. If you don't you can get jams.

I'm sure there are some ways an upper receiver might affect accuracy, but accuracy is more dependent on the quality of the barrel, the free float forearm, a good trigger, quality crafted ammo, and a good shooter.

Personally myself I'd stick with the name brands. My preference is CMT, whose outlet is Stag Arms. I'm currently in the process of building a couple of AR15's.

Take a look at the feed ramps in the pictures below:
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/feedramps1.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/feedramps.jpg

Firebricker
05-08-2010, 07:21 PM
dk17hmr, I'm planning on buying a complete a complete upper assembly but have'nt ruled out building one.

StarMetal, Thank's for the pic's that help's me understand the m4 feed ramp's

One other thing I have been reading on is barrell contour I like the heavy barrell so far.
FB

dk17hmr
05-09-2010, 12:54 AM
For a shooter make sure you watch the equipment exchange on AR15. I have bought several parts and a couple uppers from people on there at good prices.

Out of the 4 AR's I have this is by far my favorite.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/12300_1386605386400_1270011010_1089.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/NEF/IMG_0459.jpg

If you dont have a lower yet and are one a budget check out the Plum Crazy lowers, they are a poly lower with the internals being poly also (think of it as the glock of ar15's)....I paid $99 a piece for mine complete and really really like them. The trigger has a heavy pull but it is really smooth. I did a 15 minute trigger job on the springs and got it down to about 4.5 pounds. Which is perfect for a K.I.S.S truck gun.

Shiloh
05-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Great Pics StarMetal!!!:wink:

I had heard that the feed ramps were different but had never seen one. Thanks for the Photo Essay showing the difference!!

SHiloh

Firebricker
05-09-2010, 07:28 PM
So far I have my stripped lower and I'm out of town working and found a RRA LPK with a single stage trigger. They were helpful and let me check out single and two stage triggers on complete rifle's. I have been watching ar-15.com classifieds as suggested for parts.

Right now I'm trying to sort out all the choices on upper's,kits and parts. The kits with everthing except stripped lower are looking like a good option.

Another question is are the cromed bolt carrier group a worth while upgrade ?
Thank's to all for the advise. FB

dk17hmr
05-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I have a chrome carrier in my 6.8 SPC, only because it came in a different upper I bought. The chrome looks good with the stainless barrel. All the others have a normal parkerized carrier....they all work.

StarMetal
05-09-2010, 08:21 PM
There's something to understand about chromed carriers. Almost all carrier are chromed, that is the hole that the bolt slides into (which is the gas cylinder portion of the carrier) are hard chromed. Now there are carriers like dk17hmr that are actually shiny chromed on the exterior. You don't really need to have something like that and he explained why he has one.

trickyasafox
05-11-2010, 01:10 AM
for what its worth, I have used a couple del-ton kits and have found the company great to work with and the kits to be good quality. I have no stake in their company- just have had a few good experiences dealing with them.

Firebricker
05-16-2010, 07:31 PM
I've been researching and think I,m going to try a M&A Parts car-15 kit. Seems to be a good price. I,ve talked to a member here who as bought two of their kit,s and was happy with them. It will be a few weeks before I,m home and get it put together. FB

mike in co
05-16-2010, 09:51 PM
for what its worth, I have used a couple del-ton kits and have found the company great to work with and the kits to be good quality. I have no stake in their company- just have had a few good experiences dealing with them.

(my mommy said if i had nothing good to say, then say nothing)

mike in co
05-16-2010, 09:51 PM
I've been researching and think I,m going to try a M&A Parts car-15 kit. Seems to be a good price. I,ve talked to a member here who as bought two of their kit,s and was happy with them. It will be a few weeks before I,m home and get it put together. FB

(my mommy said if i had nothing good to say, then say nothing)