PDA

View Full Version : Best paper for the job?

Fly
05-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Just what is the best paper for the job.So far I have not wrapped any boolit's.
Checking thickness, printer paper is .004.So with one wrap that makes the
boolit .008 over.With two wraps it's .016 over.

I found a peace of paper that was .002, which would make a boolit .008 over
with two wraps.To get the .001 or .002 over grove dia are you sizing the wrapped boolit down that much to get there?

I ordered that book you guys recommend Paper Jacket to clear some of this
up for me.But what type of paper works best for you?:drinks:

Fly

Skipper
05-07-2010, 10:26 PM
http://www.modernss.com/shopping/family_sale_0_familyid_3585_cat_226

docone31
05-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Lined notebook paper.
Great patching material.

Fly
05-07-2010, 10:32 PM
How thick is that tracing paper?

rhead
05-08-2010, 07:23 AM
I have always gotten good results from Meade tracing paper (from wal mart). It has good wet strength and a good shrinkage ratio It is consistently available.. Thickness is around .0015.

Nobade
05-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I like the 9# onionskin from The Paper Mill. Available online, 100% cotton, great wet strength, and shrinks tight on the bullet. Great stuff. Adds .006" with two wraps.

303Guy
05-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I like two papers; the one being printer paper for its thickness and compressability and it bolds to itself when wet wrapped. The other is lined note-pad paper of a particular brand. The brand preference is due to lined note-pad papers not all being equal. The one I use bonds when wet wrapped. Some don't. In NZ that brand is Croxley. Your Croxley may be different. I also dry wrap with both those papers and they do allow stretching by twisting between the fingers to get them as tight as wet wrapped i.e. the gap gets closed up and the fit is the same as wet wrapped. It just means I don't have to dry them and I can wrap while sitting on the computer.:mrgreen: (Doesn't work so good in the cig roller dry).

Fly
05-08-2010, 06:13 PM
OK here is what I did & you guy's tell me if I,m alright here.I took the lined note book paper
& messed & messed & cussed & cussed.So I sit back & I look at this deal.

Well I was wetting the paper & it would tare.So I mixed up some flour water glue.I then
put just a very little to the finish angle seam & made the paper jacket longer than the
boolit & wrapped it dry & sealed the glue end.When I say longer I mean length of bullet.

I then wet it very light & twisted the ends & let it dry.I then cut the tail leaving enough
hang over & wet that some & tucked it in behind.I then cut the excess back from the nose
applyed some alox & sized that baby.

I ran a Mic over her & she measured right on.What do you think?????

303Guy
05-09-2010, 12:37 AM
I ran a Mic over her & she measured right on.What do you think????? Yup. Beauty! I too, used a glue to bind the trailing edge and/or corner down. I used classroom paper glue which actually dissappeared when dry. Now I only apply glue to the tail overhang. That's where different lined note pad papers come into play. The one I found - Croxley - doesn't need trailing edge/corner glueing for wet wrapping. Nor does printer paper - which is too thick for you it seems. Mind you, I thought it was too thick for me but have just today discovered it might be ideal for me (for one of my guns).

I would suggest continuing on your path and giving those PPCBoos a goodly field trial. Who was that said they accidently seated a set of PPCBoos a little deeper and found the groups shrank by a large margin? My point there being that there are many variables still to play with. I believe you have nailed one of them.:drinks:

By the way, you're making rather rapid progress with this paper patching!:Fire:

Fly
05-09-2010, 08:04 AM
303 I have come in my way of thinking it's the only way for cast boolits.I just don't like
the idea of slowing down a boolit by reducing powder that much, just to keep lead fowling
down.

I'm in to old milsurps.I care nothing about these new tack driving plastic rifles & to each
is own.But I want to shoot my Milsurps to as close to what they were designed to shoot
in fps.

This is the only way I can see to get there & be able to tailor a boolit to a given bore as
we know these ole guys bores can be anywhere.

Plus that it's kinda fun.

montana_charlie
05-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Just what is the best paper for the job.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34782

docone31
05-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Yup, Charlie has found Catfish's thread.
I highly reccomend reading it.
Says it all.

pdawg_shooter
05-10-2010, 10:47 AM
16# printer paper, the type with holes on both edges.