PDA

View Full Version : will 300 BAR bbl tuner unscrew?????

Depreacher
05-07-2010, 09:37 PM
A friend has a Browning BAR 300 mag with a barrel tuner. The tuner has slight rust . The rest of the rifle is 100% beautiful Browing blue. Can I unscrew the outer sleeve, and replace it with a new one??? I don't have the rifle with me so I don't know how it's attached. I figure a new part will match the rest of the blue better than if I get one of the locals to refinish the old one. I tried the standard gunsmithing trick of #0000 steel wool soaked in WD-40, but the rust still showed. BTW, for a badly rusted spot on a gun, get an old (pre-zinc) copper penny and grip it with a small set of vise-grip pliers. I let my 5 in vice-grips bite on about the outer 1/4th of the penny. Now, start scraping at about a 35 to 40 degree angle on the rust spot with medium pressure, being careful to make sure the steel pliers don't scrape on your work. You can even sharpen the penny. After you're through remove the copper stains with WD-40 soaked #0000 steel wool. Normally, doesn't harm any nearby blue. It will still leave a fairly smooth dark spot, but that's better than a shiney one. The penny is harder than the rust, but softer than the steel. A Winchester collector showed me this trick years ago. Any help on the tuner appreciated. May GOD Bless you. ;) Preacher

fireball168
05-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Can I unscrew the outer sleeve, and replace it with a new one???

Yes.

http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/boss_02380_om_s.pdf

Depreacher
05-08-2010, 10:04 PM
THANKS a million FIREBALL. What a great sight. Thousands and thousands of years of knowledge, available to even a clutz like me. :-) Preacher