PDA

View Full Version : Effectively melting zinc

needcoffee
05-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I have an idea for my scrap zinc WW. I want to make a drag anchor for my drift boat. An 8x8x8 pyramid will weigh roughly 40#'s. Is there a good way to smelt and pour zinc WW? I understand that Zn melts at 790* or so. What type of flux or additives might be neccessary to ensure a smooth pour?

Regards,

docone31
05-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Zinc doesn't need fux in that application.
You will need a lot of BTU's.
You could use a coffee can for an anchor, with zinc.
Watch getting it too hot. Foundry disease. It goes away, with no ill effects from what I have read. Feels like the flu. Comes from getting zinc too hot.
When it is too hot, it will make white deposits on the edge of the melting pot.

sagacious
05-07-2010, 11:19 PM
If the melt is maintained properly, zinc does not dross heavily. Pouring should not be a problem at all, especially such a large casting. Good luck and stay safe.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Yes, watch the temp and do not over heat.

During the welding process of zinc coated metals, the zinc burns off.

The gas from the burning zinc can give you a bad head ache among other bad things. So don't over heat and as with lead alloys, keep well ventalated.

Back when much younger and even more shy on smarts, I gas welded a fair bit on galv. pipe.

Dumb.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Blacksmith
05-08-2010, 12:11 AM
When welding Galvanized drink milk it minimizes the effects.

Blacksmith

DLCTEX
05-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Drinking milk soothes the throat after breathing zinc fumes. It does little if anything to remove the toxins from your body. It's best to avoid intake by good ventilation and/or a respirator. Getting a headache from fumes is your brain telling you that what is coming to it is harmful.

needcoffee
05-10-2010, 06:59 PM
What type of respirator? Will a mask with the correct cartridges work? Or do I need to go with a positive pressure system?

Thanks for the comments.

Jeff

docone31
05-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Just bringing zinc to a melt will not make it fume.
It is when you use a gas torch, or in my case a furnace melting brass to bring out the white precipitate.
Once you have a melt, you have enough. Flaming over a melt is not needed.
As usual, use the head.
I only got foundry disease when I melted brass for a casting. I have not gotten it melting zinc in my pot.