PDA

View Full Version : Dentist trip, not just for lead anymore!

cheese1566
05-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Went to the dentist the other day. It was filled with good and bad news.

Bad news: They went digital with x-rays so no lead...and I may have to crown a tooth.:cry:

Good news: I may get a used ultrasonic cleaner from the junk pile...and no cavities![smilie=w:

I sprung a conversation about maybe getting an old dental pick or two. The assistant told me they clean them in ultrasonic cleaners then sterilize them for reuse. I mentioned that I would love to find a ultarsonic cleaner someday. I learned that they need to replace theirs every couple of years and they may have a few old ones in the basement that don't work all too well anymore. I asked the dentist, but learned his partner bought out his practice. Waiting word to see if x-mas comes early!

jaguarxk120
05-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey I just did that. My guy said he had a few old picks and I could go thruogh them. The assistant brought out a small tool box that weighed about 10-15 pounds. He said here take what you want we don't use these anymore. The thing was filled with all kinds of tools. Took about a dozen or so, they will come in handy working on guns/reloading.
Sometimes all you have to do is ask.

At the local gun shows there is a guy that sells medical/lab supplies. glass syringes/needles are just the thing for transfering liquids. Heck I start the bore brush in the barrel the give it a shot of cleaner, much cleaner than the dip/pour methoids.

scrapcan
05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Funny thing this must be in the water they use to clean out teeth. I too asked about picks and the ultrasonic cleaner.

No lead for sometime but he did give a box of 9mm last week when I was in. My dentist is also an FFL holder, I visit my dentist a bit more than other people might.

jaguarxk120
05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Many are converting over to electronic X-ray systems. The X-ray exposure is much less than film. Not so much safety for you, but the dental tech. doing x-rays every day will have a better enviroment.