PDA

View Full Version : Chiappa Win 1892

Dragoon 45
05-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Stopped by a local gunshop and saw that they had 4 Winchester 1892 Carbines in .45 Colt and also had one take down version in .45 Colt. They had the large loop levers and 20" barrels. Not sure if they had action jobs on them or not. Price was around $650. Looked like they were set up for Cowboy Action Shooting.

I really don't know that much about these guns. I know Chiappa was at one time making Sharp's clones but don't know that much about the company except that they are out of Italy.

I thought about buying one, but as I said I know very little about one. Are these decent rifles? Is the price a good one?

Thank You.

Southern Son
05-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Dragoon,
The company making them is Armi Sport. I had a Muzzle Loader made by that company (15-20 years ago). Externally, it was a great looking rifle and it had a good barrel, internally, it looked like everything had been made with an arc welder (really rough looking). The trigger was terrible (about 15lbs and a long, spongy creep) and because it was so rough on the inside parts, I couldn't fix it.

The 1892's and the various Sharps that they are sending to Australia look like they have cleaned up their act. The local Gunshops are saying that the 1892s do have a "slicked" action. When I was looking for a lever gun in 44Mag a little while back, the Gunshops I called pushed the Chiappas pretty hard (I went for a Marlin, but the quality of the Chiappas had nothing to do with this). I looked at one of the solid frame 92's with a 20inch barrel and it seemed very smooth (smoother than the Rossi I tried and the Marlin I bought), and quite well finished, but they have got a bit expensive down under.

Four Fingers of Death
05-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Using the current rate conversion, that should mean a tad over $720. They are actually selling here for close to $2000. I don't know that they are selling any though at those prices. Nowwwwwwwwwwwwww, if it were an 1873 take down, that would be worth thinkling about.

fecmech
05-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Stopped by a local gunshop and saw that they had 4 Winchester 1892 Carbines in .45 Colt and also had one take down version in .45 Colt. They had the large loop levers and 20" barrels. Not sure if they had action jobs on them or not. Price was around $650. Looked like they were set up for Cowboy Action Shooting.

I really don't know that much about these guns. I know Chiappa was at one time making Sharp's clones but don't know that much about the company except that they are out of Italy.

I thought about buying one, but as I said I know very little about one. Are these decent rifles? Is the price a good one?

Thank You.

I looked at them and they look good but the guys over on the Levergun forum are not too impressed with them. You might ask over there and do a search on that board. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/ I'm looking for another .357 and I think I'll wait till I either run across a Marlin or the 24" Rossi octagons become available again.
I don't know about the .45 colt Rossi's ( they are available all over the place under $500) but I'm happy with my Rossi 92 .357 20" round BBL. Gun is dependable, smooth after minor tuning and pretty well finished. If I come across a 24" octagon I'll jump on it!

Four Fingers of Death
05-07-2010, 08:41 PM
They only seem to be available in 357 here now it seems.

Dragoon 45
05-07-2010, 11:01 PM
I looked at them and they look good but the guys over on the Levergun forum are not too impressed with them. You might ask over there and do a search on that board. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/ I'm looking for another .357 and I think I'll wait till I either run across a Marlin or the 24" Rossi octagons become available again.
I don't know about the .45 colt Rossi's ( they are available all over the place under $500) but I'm happy with my Rossi 92 .357 20" round BBL. Gun is dependable, smooth after minor tuning and pretty well finished. If I come across a 24" octagon I'll jump on it!

I did a search on the site, but didn't find much. Thank you for the link.

Four Fingers of Death
05-08-2010, 07:14 AM
The Rossi is available in all sorts of calibres and configurations here, but the Chiappa seems to only be available in 357.

The rifle I am shooting in my avitar is a cheap 357 Rossi that I got as a back up rifle. It has fired 1000s of rounds without a hitch, great little rifle.

At the risk of hi-jacking the thread, I saw on the Cowboy Chronicle that Chiappa is bringing out an 1886 clone, that should be interesting.