PDA

View Full Version : I need info on Lee Charging Dies

kbstenberg
05-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Is Lee a hard comp. to get on the phone? I tried all afternoon to get them on the phone to ask some questions. So onstead i will have to find out what i want from you guyes. AGAIN
I got my new Lee Clasic Turit, an now i want to mount the power dispencer on the press. What is the diference between the 3 types of charging dies? They list a Universal C. D. / a Rifle C. D. / and a Pistol Powder Through C. D.
I read the discriptions an they sound the same to me.
What i have now is.
Classic Turit
Lee Powder perfect measurer
RCBS Little Dandy
probably going to be getting a Pro Auto Disk
I load for 44mag / 30/30 / 7mm Rem Mag / 300 Sav.
Kevin

lead-1
05-07-2010, 04:20 AM
I believe the differences in the three are,

Universal charging die works with the Perfect Powder Measure that has the lever that you rotate the charge the cartridge. You have to hook up a rod to work the measure lever.

The Pistol charging die works on pistol cartridges of course and has a case mouth expander in the die so it expands the case mouth as it drops the powder. It is set up to work with the Auto Disc and Pro Auto Disc Measures. I have these set up on my turrets for loading .45 acp and .38 spl. and have been quite satisfied with them.

The Rifle charging die is the same as the pistol but longer to make more room for the longer rifle brass. It doesn't have a case mouth expander. I have used one of these for several hundred .223 and was happy with it also.

For a little extra information, I also replaced the discs in my Auto Disc measure with the Adjustable Charge Bars.

DLCTEX
05-15-2010, 10:05 AM
The Perfect powder measure can not be made to work automatically on the Classic Cast Turret if you have the Safety Prime system, due to the riser needed to clear the primer system.I tried a number of configurations but could not get it to work , though a custom length sleeve in the riser would probably work. It can be cycled by hand through the charging die and is how I use it for rifle loads larger than the double stack disc will dispense. For pistol, the Pro Auto Disc is the way to go.The Safety prime system is worth the money IMHO.

cajun shooter
05-16-2010, 10:14 AM
If at any time you want to use another measure like RCBS, LYMAN and so forth on your turret then you can. All you need is a Dillon 450 powder die and adapter that the sale. The measure screws into one end and the other slips over the top. It is not automatic but manual but gives you more choices than Lee. I use mine set up that way so that I may load BP ammo on it.