PDA

View Full Version : Charter Arms

ShrnShndl
05-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Has anyone used any of the new Charter Arms handguns? I had one back in the early 70's and it was pretty decent. Don't know anything about the new ones, but the price makes me want to give one a try.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thank you

jim4065
05-06-2010, 08:27 PM
No experience with the new ones, but the old 3" barrel 44 Bulldogs were nice pistolas.

DLCTEX
05-07-2010, 12:21 AM
I've got an older one in 38 Special and 4 1/2" barrel that has seen a lot of shooting and was very used when I bought it. Never a Problem and shoots very well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Combat Diver
05-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Count me in for have an older 3" .44 SPL Bulldog which has always worked. My BIL has had it on extended loan down in Texas as I never seem to have the time to go pick it up (been nearly 10 yrs now). My son last month just purchased a new Charter Arms Pink Lady .38 for my DIL. They haven't shot it yet for lack of ammo availablity where he's at. They bringing it down to NC in Jul so we shoot it then.

DJ303
05-07-2010, 07:03 AM
I've got a newer Bulldog Pug. Shoots well, no problems so far.

scrapcan
05-07-2010, 01:28 PM
We have an early 38 undercover and if the new ones are half as good as this one, I would buy another in a heart beat. Once group I belong to and help with the banquests give one away every year and We have never had anyone say anything abad after they shoot them.

Guesser
05-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I have a current production Target Patriot in 327 Federal Magnum. About a thousand rounds thru it. Mostly handloads using AA#7 and AA#9 under a Lyman 311316 sized .313. Good gun, and just the right size for the cartridge. It shoots really well with full power+P+ 32 Mags also.

Buckshot
05-09-2010, 03:39 AM
................After my dad in law passed away I got his Charter Arms Pathfinder in 22LR. It has a 3" barrel and a rather nify adjustable rear sight. The front blade is nice and wide and on a substantial ramp. I had some concern about it's accuracy potential as the chambers are bored straight though (the revolver was new in 1982).

While it is no target revolver I WILL say that it has outshot any Ruger Single Six I've ever seen. It's good for 1.5" at 25 yards. When I got the revolver from my MIL it wouldn't operate in DA, and not everytime in SA. I don't know about the operation of any other CA revolver other then this one. The cylinder bolt has an elliptic slot in it. A pin goes through the slot and the bolt is spring powered both up, and back toward the trigger. Inside the frame, on the bottom front of the trigger is a lip the end of the bolt goes under.

Probably due to my FIL's incessant mindless ******* around with it over the years, the lip on the trigger had been damaged. He and machinery or most ANY mechanical device just never seemed to abide each other. In any event I called the folks at CA, got the parts dept and ordered a replacement trigger. The guy there asked why I was ordering a trigger and seemed amazed it had that problem. I merely said, "You didn't know my father in law". With shipping it was $14 I think it was. He aslo said if I had any problems to please call him back and he'd walk me through any issues, which I thought was nice. I got it done and it works like a champ.

Many years ago I got to shoot a first generation 44 Bulldog and it was a handfull, especially to someone without a lot of handgun experience for the time. I shot a cylinderfull at a 7 yard target and it did IIRC about 2.5".

..............Buckshot

TCLouis
05-09-2010, 11:24 AM
More than accurate enough for my planned usage.

The first one was a try it, buy it if you like it story.

Pulled up to the range, loaded it, and shot a clay pigeon that was lying on the 25 yard berm, shot at and hit both of the pieces remaining after the first shot and bought the gun. The other one came along about a month later and just joined in the gun covey.

Small light easy carrying.