PDA

View Full Version : Lead tin seperation

walking bear
05-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Is there any easy way to clean up lead, I have many bars of bullet casting lead of mixed hardness and mix. I have been told in the pot by controling temp. one can skim off some of the tin and other metals in the pot. if so what temp and what procedures you might recomend, I use pure lead for round ball and hard lead for pistol and rifel cast bullets
Thank you in advance. Wallking Bear.

Ps My altitude is at about 3,400 ft in altitude does that make a differance in temp.

Matt_G
05-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Once lead and tin are alloyed together they form a metallic solution. There isn't any easy way (or any way at all I believe) to separate the two. It's just like dissolving sugar in your coffee. Once it's in there, it's there to stay.
Same goes for antimony.

If you need pure lead, you'll have to find a source or buy it from a vendor.
I don't shoot the holy black, but maybe stick on wheel weights are soft enough for that. They aren't pure lead but many of them are close and pretty soft.

lylejb
05-06-2010, 09:43 PM
If you can identify what alloy(s) you have you could post a trade in the swappin and sellin section.

Maybe someone else has what you want, and wants what you have.

That's alot more practical than trying to separate it, with little chance of success.

dwebb210
05-06-2010, 09:45 PM
That altitude would make a significant difference in things like the boiling point of water, combustion of gasoline in an engine calibrated for use at sea level, etc.

But when it comes to melting lead, altitude has no effect you could measure.