PDA

View Full Version : John Baird Passes

waksupi
07-26-2006, 12:34 AM
This is a message that was forwarded to me today. I'm sure that more than a few of you old grey beards knew him. I knew John, rendezvous'ed with him over the years, and used to occassionally write for the magazine. I first met him in the mid '70's, at Twyman's Rendezvous, at Brunswick, Missouri.
I stopped in at the magazine office whenever I passed through Big Timber. He always talked about how busy he was in his editorials, but I never recall walking into his office,when he wasn't kicked back in his chair, with his feet up on the desk. Some of the old timers will remember the big hooraw some twenty years back ,when he started including BPCR in the magazine, and proclaimed he WAS the NAPR. All that is in the past, and some held hard feelings for many years about it. The way I see it, he did give the muzzleloading fraternity an exceptional resource in his magazine, and was instrumental in helping establish the Western National Mountain Man Rendezvous, that still exists, under the names of the Rocky Mountain Nationals, the High Plains Nationals, and several other offshoots.

Dear Friends;

I have just learned of the passing of John Baird on July 14, 2006. It was
his birthday. John was 78 years and 18 hours old. John published and
edited the BUCKSKIN REPORT magazine in the 1970s and 80s. His May 1978
article on my hunting pouches kick started my three decades of leather
working.

John was afflicted with Lewybodies, a form of dementia similar to
Alzheimers. Being the sort of man he was, as soon as the diagnoses was made
John planned out exactly how his business and personal life was to be
managed right up until the end. John left for his final rendezvous with no
strings untied.

Condolences may be sent to Mrs. John D.(Betty) Baird at 1902 Range Road,
Wadestown, West Virginia 26590. Telephone (304) 662-6220. Betty lives alone
there but her daughter lives nearby. I'll bet Betty would appreciate a
call. I don't have an email address.

There is a possibility that a memorial service will be held at the Eastern
Rendezvous in September.

John helped leave me with wonderful memories of that era of muzzleloading.
I am doing my best to pass on to others the inspiration and enthusiasm of
old Dinglehoofer.

Respectfully,

Chris

mazo kid
07-29-2006, 12:51 AM
I have all the magazines and have a dues card from both John and his son David who took over the reins of the publishing business after John retired. A controversial figure, but one who believed in what was right, and he strived to set things straight. Many great memories....Emery

gregg
08-06-2006, 05:57 AM
Sad to hear.
Yup I still have few of the mags around.
If I remember I paid for 3 years right when the mag went under.
And lost three years of a new mag called something like black powder
hunter. This was like all in the same year.Was starting to think I was bad luck to black powder mags. LOL.
Buckskin Report was a fun magazine.
DO YOU GUYS REMEMBER A DORR (DOOR)THAT WROTE ABOUT HIS TRIPPS TO
MEXICO IN THE BACK COUNTRY WITH A ML RIFLE?

waksupi
08-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I remember the stories. I still have many copies of the magazine here, and go through them occassionally. The stories I really liked, were Honest Don Henjum's, Mexico, and the Sequel.

KCSO
08-06-2006, 02:54 PM
I still have some correspondence with John and well remember some arguments over the Hawken rifles. I will call Greg Roberts tonight and see if he knows about this. Remember when someone thought Honest Don was a radical and tried to shut him out? I thought he had a pretty good handle on things.

waksupi
08-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah, don't remember why some wanted to hang ol' Honest Don. I was always entertained, by all of his writings. I'm going to dig out the stack, and go back through them, one of these days.

Bigjohn
08-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes, we remember the magazine, 'Buckskin Report' even here downunder.

It was a loss when it went under, pity, I remember some excellent and controversal articles being published. No matter what; it was and still is an excellent read.

If the story that made it down here was correct I believe it was their policy of telling it like it was which helped or cause their demise? Apparently the afflicted party took them to court and sued.

At least John's memory will live on in the memories of all those who have read and will read copies of his magazine.

Just think of what Old Honest Don Henjum would be saying to the Maker.

In fond memory;

Requiescat in pace; John Baird.

John.

KCSO
08-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Seems like it was the one about the Mexican Smuggler who was shootin' at the Rurales? They said it showed disrespect for the law. Good grief 72 was a long time ago!

waksupi
08-06-2006, 10:54 PM
John got in trouble, I believe, when he flat stated that the old Kodiak double rifles were a ***. Not unsafe, as I recall, but the barrels were not regulated in anything resembling accuracy. Also ripping the early Spanish and Italian guns, as some of them were definitely unsafe. I believe CVA also got involved, before it was over.
I remember when Bob Olsen sectioned a Spanish barrel that belonged to one of his deputies. It had been drilled from both ends, and rifled the same way. Unfortunately, the holes didn't exactly meet square in the middle. When I looked at it in his shop, I thought it was some sort of joke gun he was building, as some did back then.
There was also major embroilment with the support of the federal lawsuit against John Bevins, and in effect, all individual custom builders. I donated towards that fight. It affected quite a few people, then and now. I'd have to go back, to see the final court ruling.

Mentioning the joke guns, reminds me of one in particular, or should I say, two? A builder from somewhere in Missouri showed up at a rendezvous, with a long, strangly shaped object strapped to his tipi poles. When it was unwraped, it was a rifle with about a five foot barrel. What was real unusual, however, was that there was a buttstock, and fully functioning flintlock rifle, on both ends. One left hand, one right hand. Beautifully executed work on both ends. I heard later, he went ahead and cut it in half, to sell at Friendship. I would have rather had it in one piece!

KCSO, I believe the smugglers name was, "Hey, you".

I also remember the great articles on patching, in the gasket / anti-gasket debate, and Jerry Cunninghams excellent articles on barrel steels.

gregg
08-07-2006, 05:52 AM
WOW how do you guys remeber all of this?
When you bring it all up I start to remeber
bits and pieces.
Looking back not a fun mag. A great Mag.
I do miss it even after all these years. Use
to be some great art on the cover too.

waksupi
08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
For anyone missing, or wanting issues, they show up on Ebay fairly often.

madcaster
08-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Lordy,I hate reading this!
Just Wednesday I was talking with a good friend about John and how he helped keep us younger shooters safe from ill produced foreign guns!
I know John was into biplanes when he was in West Virginia,but hadn't talked with him for awhile.
We will miss you John!
Jeff.