PDA

View Full Version : SKS loads?????

leadhead
07-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Hey Guys,
Anybody do any loading for the sks? Benn playing around with one
and was wondering if you had any loads to try.
I'm thinking of trying a 165 gr lyman bore rider, but don't know if I should
go that high in weight.
Thanks for any info.
Denny

Larry Gibson
07-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Hey Guys,
Anybody do any loading for the sks? Benn playing around with one
and was wondering if you had any loads to try.
I'm thinking of trying a 165 gr lyman bore rider, but don't know if I should
go that high in weight.
Thanks for any info.
Denny

With the SKS and heavier bullets you are limited by two things; magazine length (i.e. OAL) and the short neck. I have found the Lee 312-155 to be a very good bullet for the SKS/AK and my Mini MKX Mauser in 7.62x39. This bullet was specifically designed for this cartridge. I cast them out of WWs and air cool them. With a Hornady GC, Javelina Lube and sized at .313" they shoot quite accurately (as good if not better than milsurp) over 27 gr of H4895. This is in IMI brass with a WLR primer. Velocity is 1860 fps out of my Russian SKS and functioning is flawless.

I tried 31141 HP and 311291 at .311" but they were not anywhere near as accurate as the Lee bullet. I suspect that seating them deep enough to fit puts the base of the bullet to far into the case. Both those bullets and Lee's 312-185 seated out so the base is not below the neck are fine in the Mini MKX but are a single feed round. I would like to see the 312-155 (regular - not the TL) in a 6 cavity group buy. Maybe next year after I retire I'll honcho a couple group buys.

Larry Gibson