PDA

View Full Version : Getting homemade lube sticks out of the mold

ghh3rd
05-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I just had a though about how I might get lube sticks out of the mold easily. I wonder if I could rig a caulking gun to do the deed? Anyone out there tried this?

powderburnerr
05-06-2010, 12:41 PM
you could modify the face to do that , would be kinda nice for a tool kind a guy , I just melt mine and pour it in .

Steelbanger
05-06-2010, 12:54 PM
The easiest way for me to get lube out of the tubes is to run very hot water over the entire tube. This softens the lube and you can push it out onto newspaper with an old broomstick or dowel rod.

stumpjumper
05-06-2010, 01:40 PM
i put my lube molds in water with dish soap before i pour. pour the lube with mold still wet and they slide right out.

Gussy
05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Slit the side of the tube. Keep it closed with hose clamps until ready to empty. Loosen clamp and push it out. Or...remove while still hot, before it totally sets up hard.

Doesn't hurt to spray the tube with PAM before pouring....
Gus

fredj338
05-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I use 1" pvc split in half. Hose clamps or rubber bands. Put into the freezer for 10-15min & pop the molds apart.

ph4570
05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I use PVC pipe segments. After the pour has set. I pop them in the freezer for an hour or so. Then take them out of the freezer, squeeze the pipes to sort of free the sticks and then they pop out with a blow from a wooden dowel.

I must try stumpjumper's method the next time as it sounds simpler.

wistlepig1
05-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I have done this a total of one time, so I sure not an expert.

First thing I did was to spray the inside of my Al. tubes with cooking Pam.
Second thing was take BullShops advice, put a small amount Alox in my lube, to aid in removal of the dowels for hollow tube lube.

I pushed my "SpeedGreen" out of tubes with NO trouble, lucky maybe, I think the reason is I took good advice from others here and it worked for me.

ghh3rd
05-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I let the lube harden in the PVC mold, heated the mold with a hair blower on high for 1-1 1/2 minutes and used a 1 inch dowell to push them out. They are sure purty :-)