PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P90

JudgeBAC
05-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Just traded into a Ruger P90DC. I missed out on one several years ago and this one was too good to pass up. All stainless, bulky and brutish. These things are built like tanks.

The most pleasing aspect is it shoots several cast boolit loads that my Colt Combat Commander will not digest. This thing just eats em up and spits em out. Certainly not the prettiest handgun on the market but it will make a great home defense and or car gun.

mtgrs737
05-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Is yours the aluminum frame model or the polymer frame model? Bill Ruger himself designed that one and he made it strong. One of the Ruger engineers was messing around with one and basicly threaded the inside of the forward end of the barrel to accept a screw in plug with an extension that reached down just forward of the chambered round. He then put it in a holder and fired a 45 acp round in it to prove the strength. Then he made the mistake of showing it to Mr. Ruger thinking that he would be pleased at his designs proven strength. However Mr. Ruger asked him if he was through messing around and would be get back to work! Several years ago Ruger was offering a very nice rebate on those, so nice that you could get into one for around $230 that was too good to pass up and they are excellent shooters.

StarMetal
05-06-2010, 09:19 AM
I had one when they were fairly new yet. Mine had the aluminum frame. It shot excellent, but I didn't like how Ruger brought the trigger guard bow so low on the frame. I have large hands and the grip below that trigger bow seemed very small and crowded to me. Other then that I thought it was a pretty excellent pistol. I did sell it though as I love my 1911's better....and my 1911's feed everything.

SP101GUY
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I had a stainless P90 about 15 years ago before I traded for my P94. It was a great shooter, wish I was loading and casting back when I had it. Like any gun I don't have any more, wish I never let it go.

AJ

Angus
05-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I have a P89, essentially the same frame in 9mm. A set of Hogue rubber grips really changes how the gun feels. I gained a lot of muzzle control and better grip once I screwed them on.

StarMetal
05-06-2010, 02:18 PM
I had a stainless P90 about 15 years ago before I traded for my P94. It was a great shooter, with I was loading and casting back when I had it. Like any gun I don't have any more, wish I never let it go.

AJ

Not me, like I said I didn't like the grip. I got a Model 21 45acp Glock after that and it's even better yet...in accuracy, feel, magazine capacity.

NickSS
05-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I have a P 90 and a couple of 1911s and can say without a doubt that the P 90 is more reliable. My 1911s shoot very well and function flawlessly with most loads but some are not as reliable. To date I have found nothing that will not work in my P 90.