PDA

View Full Version : Disk Maker, GC Forming Die and GC Trimmer.

WILCO
05-06-2010, 01:53 AM
The following photos show my GC making kit for .30 cal. using .016 aluminum sheeting. The kit consists of a disk puncher, a gas check forming die and a gas check trimmer of my own design. It creates uniformed wall lengths, prevents hitting of driving bands whilst providing a surface edge to grip the shank of various .30 cal. boolits I'm working with. Once these GC's are "pushed" on by hand, you can't peel them off with your finger nail. Simply press the GC in the hole of the trimmer and run it across the file. Bolt turns to pop it out when done. I used several established ideas with materials laying around the shop when building my GC making kit. It's not the greatest set up, nor the fastest, but the price was right and it works for me. I would like to thank the membership here for the education on how to make gas checks for boolits while achieving an endless supply with freedom from "Big Copper". :kidding:

muskeg13
05-06-2010, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the great photos. I made a prototype die set a few weeks ago with hand tools and turned out a few checks, but I need more precision. The checks were too loose. I'm borrowing a small lathe soon.

EMC45
05-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Very cool idea!

jmsj
05-06-2010, 08:50 AM
WILCO,
Great ideas, thanks for sharing. Building a gas check maker is my next project but I haven't settled on a final design. This site has so many talented people willing to share their ideas.
Good job and thanks again. jmsj

edsmith
05-06-2010, 06:12 PM
WILCO, great job,that check trimmer is brilliant.

wistlepig1
05-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Wilco, what is the OD of your cut disks for the 30 cal.? thanks

longbow
05-06-2010, 07:15 PM
+1 for the great idea on the check trimmer.

My very simple gas check tools works pretty well but now and again I get a slight difference in wall height. Your trimmer idea would even them up nicely and make all the same.

Great job and great photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Longbow

Blammer
05-06-2010, 07:16 PM
:kidding:now you just need to buy some copper sheeting. :kidding:

looks good!

WILCO
05-07-2010, 07:19 AM
WILCO, great job,that check trimmer is brilliant.

Thanks Ed. It was your LEE sizing die method and other contributions of the membership here that intrigued me down the road of GC making. The concept of using washers for the gas check trimmer came to me after I had read about tshrcav8r and his "Low Budget $6 check maker". I’m glad that I was able to bring something to the “table” after enjoying the fruits of so many others in the world of cast boolits.
If anyone is wishing to build the gas check trimmer in .30 caliber, I simply used a ¼ washer welded to a 1/4x20 nut and bolt. Here’s a link to USS and SAE washer dimensions:

http://www.boltdepot.com/Fastener-Information/Nuts-Washers/USS-SAE-Washer-Dimensions.aspx

Wilco, what is the OD of your cut disks for the 30 cal.? thanks

I’m using a 13/32 drill rod which punches a .4062 diameter disk. I’ve also found that a 9/32 drill rod pushing this disk through a .309 forming die with .016 aluminum creates a very well fitting GC for the series of LEE .30 cal. Boolits. After using the gas check trimmer, these GC’s won’t pull off with the finger nail method.

WILCO
01-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Just thought I'd bump this thread for the new folks looking to easily make gas checks.

Xcaliber
01-14-2012, 02:16 AM
I built this die in the early 80's ..but used it to make shims to put under the dies we sharpened to keep back level . Had I known then what I know now, I would have built my form dies for Gas Chk's. Back then ,I was buying and shooting. Things we learn later thru the years.

lead chucker
01-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Wilco can you use your reloading press with your check maker?

WILCO
01-15-2012, 04:06 AM
Wilco can you use your reloading press with your check maker?

No. My check maker in it's current configuration does not lend itself to reloading press applications, but I do believe it would work well with a 1/2 ton arbor press as is commonly found at Harbor Freight.

Here's a link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-arbor-press-3551.html

WILCO
01-15-2012, 04:20 AM
I built this die in the early 80's ..

Yeah, I like that. Looks solid with a bit of heft to keep it still when driving the rod. What caliber checks are you making?

JeffinNZ
01-15-2012, 04:38 AM
I'm not sure I understand why you need to trim the checks. If the walls are too long you could consider making the disc diameter smaller. Nice work but lots of work.

WILCO
01-15-2012, 05:08 AM
I'm not sure I understand why you need to trim the checks.

Hi Jeff! [smilie=s:

The gas check trimmer was a simple solution to a perceived problem based on the manner with which the checks are produced and the many variables encountered whislt I endeavored to complete my kit. Like I stated in the OP, it's not the greatest set up, nor the fastest, but the price was right and it works for me.

Xcaliber
01-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I like that. Looks solid with a bit of heft to keep it still when driving the rod. What caliber checks are you making?
Wilco, Didn't use it back then to make any checks. I was more concerned with just
shooting and buying my Chk's. Die was used to make shims , pick up the center mark
I found it several years back in my tool box and then the thought came up when I saw PM's gas Chk. design. If I made one today, it would have covered many calibers
of chk's as far as cutting out the proper disc diam. Then the forming dies would have been built. Metal thickness is needed to use when forming material that you plan on using. Now that I have PM's tool...I don't need to worry about it. That works for me.

WILCO
01-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Wilco, Didn't use it back then to make any checks. Now that I have PM's tool...I don't need to worry about it. That works for me.

Roger that Xcaliber. My mistake. I thought you realized that you could make checks and were doing so. PM's tool is a great item to have. :D

lead chucker
01-17-2012, 01:36 AM
WILCO so when are you going to start selling them, looks pretty cool. That arbor press is cheap I like that.

WILCO
01-17-2012, 08:46 AM
WILCO so when are you going to start selling them, looks pretty cool.

Thanks Lead chucker. I have no interest in selling any kits at this time. I started this thread purely in the interest of sharing ideas and contributing to the forums.

sledgehammer001
02-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the post, WILCO, been looking at designs. Think I see some lathe work in my day tomorrow.

slinger35
02-02-2012, 07:31 PM
WILCO...... How did you cut the slot for the aluminum strip in the dick cutting die ?

Thank you

slinger35
02-02-2012, 07:33 PM
WILCO..... How did you cut the slot for the aluminum strip in the DISC cutting die ?

My apologies for my terrible spelling

midnight
02-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Years ago I bought a press mounted punch to make card wads from orange juice cartons. I placed them under my 45-70 cast bullets. I got it from Fred Cornell. It operates on the same principal of a slot in the die body with the punch mounted like a shellholder. I believe the cutting end of the punch was ground slightly concave to cut better.

Bob

WILCO
04-14-2013, 05:12 AM
WILCO...... How did you cut the slot for the aluminum strip in the disk cutting die ?

Thank you

Just found this question after getting the notion to bump this thread to the top. The slot was cut with a bandsaw, but can also be cut with a hacksaw.

WILCO
09-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Bump and a post count builder to boot!

Neo
09-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi can you please tell me the diameter of the cutting rod and the forming rod as I would like to give it a go at making a gas check tool,and are they the same diameters in the dies you made yours looks and works great.

WILCO
09-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Hi can you please tell me the diameter of the cutting rod and the forming rod as I would like to give it a go at making a gas check tool,and are they the same diameters in the dies you made yours looks and works great.

Hi Neo!

I’m using a 13/32 drill rod which punches a .4062 diameter disk. I’m also using a 9/32 drill rod to push this disk through a .309 forming die. The aluminum I'm using is .016 thick, which creates a very well fitting GC for the series of LEE .30 cal. Boolits.
Here's a handy gas check chart:

Neo
09-11-2013, 02:29 AM
Hi Neo!

I’m using a 13/32 drill rod which punches a .4062 diameter disk. I’m also using a 9/32 drill rod to push this disk through a .309 forming die. The aluminum I'm using is .016 thick, which creates a very well fitting GC for the series of LEE .30 cal. Boolits.
Here's a handy gas check chart:

Thanks for your help I'm doing one for a 30 cal and one for a 44 cal hope mine work as well as yours did. If they do I will do another for my 357.

WILCO
09-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for your help I'm doing one for a 30 cal and one for a 44 cal hope mine work as well as yours did. If they do I will do another for my 357.

You're welcome Neo! Keep us posted.

junkman1967
09-20-2013, 10:55 AM
This is a great thread. I just acquired a 2"x200' roll of .010 copper banding I want to build a die to make gas checks. Thank you for the great info.

WILCO
09-20-2013, 03:02 PM
This is a great thread. I just acquired a 2"x200' roll of .010 copper banding I want to build a die to make gas checks. Thank you for the great info.

Thanks, that's great and keep us posted!

junkman1967
09-20-2013, 03:52 PM
I have access to a Strip-it machine. This is a 30 ton hydraulic die punch. It just so happens that it has a .406 punch. I am able to punch discs, so now I need to make a forming die. I will post more soon. Thanks again for the info and inspiration

Joe

sawzall
09-22-2013, 08:52 PM
WILCO, how do you center, and keep centered, the disc when forming it into a check? Does the slight bevel on the lower portion of the forming die accomplish this? Thanks.

WILCO
09-27-2013, 02:37 PM
WILCO, how do you center, and keep centered, the disc when forming it into a check? Does the slight bevel on the lower portion of the forming die accomplish this? Thanks.

Hi Sawzall!

The male and female aspect of my check maker keeps things "Centered".
Also, the bevel and chamfer aid in this when inserting the disc.
It's not a perfect system, but it works when the top half is held down onto the bottom portion firmly, and the 9/32 drill rod is driven with a firm starting whack. Successive moderate hits will drive the check the rest of the way through the sizing die.

Hope this helps.

junkman1967
09-27-2013, 04:03 PM
I actually thought about addressing the centering issue by putting a .010 deep x.406 diameter counterbore in the female die. I have yet to test it, but will report when I do.

SevenOTwo
09-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Do you have a complete set of instructions for someone to build one themselves?? Would love to have one of these!!

WILCO
09-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Do you have a complete set of instructions for someone to build one themselves?? Would love to have one of these!!

There are no instructions per say, but all of the inner dimensions and rod diameters are included in my previous posts. Outside dimensions are whatever your stock on hand may be. It's really a simple process to manufacture one of these items. Feel free to share my photos with any capable machinist.

Good luck and keep us posted.

DukeInFlorida
10-01-2013, 06:20 AM
Here, as you requested, is the PDF file that Ed Smith created, which gives DETAILED drawings, proceedures, sizing charts, etc for both the two step check maker and the one step check maker:

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/c7a0815b

BE SURE TO Un-CHECK the box that suggests that you download a download manager. You do NOT want that.
The file that you should get is Check-Maker1&2.pdf

The original of the file was posted here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?101816-DIY-check-maker-book

gpidaho
08-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Wilco: While it seems that the burrs on the checks are of no real consequence, still the nut, bolt and washer trimmer is a very simple and clever fix. Thank you for sharing that. Had some of my homemade aluminum checks out to the range today. I fired some into 16 inches of news paper, accuracy was very good. While none of the aluminum checks were left on the boolits neither were any of the Hornady checks. I cant fault the checks for this as they stayed on until impact and were found in the news print. Im thinking my alloy is to brittle, I was worried about annealing it when powder coating and baking. Im going to drop back some on BHN so they will hold together better. there are always adjustments to be made. Thanks again Wilco and all the rest who have shared their ideas. GP

35 shooter
08-22-2014, 12:30 AM
I use a little free-chex hammer tool to make my checks and had seen your check trimming tool in another thread a while back. lol i just superglued a washer to a nut instead of welding it and it works great to even the sides or just take the height down a bit.
So simple i would have never thought it in a million years.

Thanks for your contribution! I use mine all the time.

WILCO
08-23-2014, 11:58 AM
lol i just superglued a washer to a nut instead of welding it and it works great to even the sides or just take the height down a bit.
So simple i would have never thought it in a million years.

Thanks for your contribution! I use mine all the time.

I love a success story and you're welcome. Thanks for the kind words.