PDA

View Full Version : Mold handle questions

rdlange
05-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Will long lee mold handles fit Lyman molds? They're cheaper and would keep the blocks farther away from my hand in the pot when heating and using.

missionary5155
05-06-2010, 06:28 AM
Good morning
I assume you mean the 6 cavity handles....
I would not be over concered about the mold being TOO close to your hand. Unless you are accident prone. The bigest concern will be IF the handles close the mold.
If they are tooo fat a little file time will cure all that. I modify any handle to meet my need. I drill and file and in a short time I have what I need. I also use sheet metal shims for too thin handles. I even have a long nose and filed "Custom " Vise grip to use on an old Ideal 386176 mold.

RKJ
05-06-2010, 06:32 AM
I just got a Lyman 429421 mold and tried the LEE 6 cav handles, they worked like a charm. They bolted right on, nice & tight with no modifications necessary.

dragonrider
05-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Lee handles will fit two cavity lymam molds, four cavity lyman molds usually have a smaller slot. Some modify Lee handles to fit, I mill out the slots in the mold.

MT Gianni
05-06-2010, 09:36 AM
I have had trouble with Lee handles and older SC LY molds cut for SC handles. The DC and newer SC work fine with Lee's.