PDA

View Full Version : Which spare parts for LNL?

gefiltephish
05-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm strongly considering an LNL and would like some advise from LNL users on what spare parts I should have on hand.

I intend to set this up for 45 acp, and later for rifle (6.8?). If I really like it, I may do 9mm as well, but I have a Load master for that. I have the .45 dies. I'm not getting the case feeder at this time.

I figure I need to buy a shell plate and a 3 pack of case retaining springs. I assume I only need one of each small and large primer pickup tubes which come with the press. How many primer tubes come with it? How many extras would be suggested? I'm assuming it's desirable to have extra tubes in order to preload them. I do have 13 bushings I use in the rock chucker, but I'll get some more.

Anything else?

Bret4207
05-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Interested too. I have the press, still in the box since last year.

Bob.
05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm strongly considering an LNL and would like some advise from LNL users on what spare parts I should have on hand.

Anything else?

The LNL is a nice press!
The primer tube is mounted to the press you just dump the primers in from the pick up tubes. So if you want extra tubes loaded you want more pick up tubes.
Extra retaining springs are a good to have and maybe a spare indexing pawl, I've not needed a pawl yet but if you have a jam it can break.
The most importain thing when the press is new is to clean the grease from the measurer with the Hornady cleaner/lube !

Interested too. I have the press, still in the box since last year.

A LNL in the box for a year?
:confused:

Bob

gefiltephish
05-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Ahh...the pickup tubes. Makes sense, thanks for the input.

I just found and downloaded the online manual from hornady. Now the tubes make a little more sense.

I recall reading about an after-market part to replace the ptx, I can't remember the name of it though. Can someone jog my memory?

gefiltephish
05-06-2010, 11:51 PM
I found it - http://powderfunnels.com

Lloyd Smale
05-07-2010, 07:32 AM
case retaining springs and primer return springs have been about it for mine.

gefiltephish
05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
case retaining springs and primer return springs have been about it for mine.

"primer return spring" If I'm looking at the right one, the manual list this as #16, "spring primer slide" #392336. I couldn't find it on Midway, only this "Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press Return Spring 2-3/4", Manufacturer #391008 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=522855 Maybe there has been a change in part numbers?

August
05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
The only part I've had to replace is a pawl -- due to my own ham-fistedness.

The case retention spring can be fixed if it comes apart, but having an extra on hand can make your loading session smoother on those late evening sessions the night before the big match.

I'm responding to this tread to say that the Dillon primer tubes are much easier to use than the one's Hornady makes. Get lots of them!!!

gefiltephish
05-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm responding to this tread to say that the Dillon primer tubes are much easier to use than the one's Hornady makes. Get lots of them!!!

Are you referring to the pickup tubes? What makes them easier?

509thsfs
05-07-2010, 11:24 PM
I've had a LNL AP since they 1st came out and love it. I'd agree with what most people have said, mostly springs, as over the years they weaken. I've never needed extra primer tubes, I just reload them when empty. gives me a short break between runs.

I just sent mine to hornady and got it back Monday. total time it was gone was 2 weeks, It did develope and indexing problem that I could not adjust. I just called them, got a work order number and sent it, along with a letter asking if they could replace some parts with new ones.They did. All parts and work at no cost.

Only problem I have was they replaced the primer tube mount with the new version, I still have the old (didn't send the original in with the press) and it does not work on the new one. No biggie, can still use the old set up. I may call them Monday and explain that, they may just send me the new primer tube set up parts.

Good news, is the press hums like new again and I'm back in service

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/USAF-SP/loadbench.jpg

August
05-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Are you referring to the pickup tubes? What makes them easier?

Yes, the pickup tubes!

The thinger on the end goes over primers with less force than does the one on the Hornady pick-up tubes. Also, the end is kind of beveled, which makes the primer center in the tube more easily than the Hornady unit. Get one of each and see if you don't agree they run smoother.

I'll say it again -- get lots of the one you settle on.

Lloyd Smale
05-08-2010, 06:36 AM
thats not the right one. Ask me how i know! I believe that one is for the old projector. Just call hornday or email them and tell them yours is worn and you need one and they will send you one.
"primer return spring" If I'm looking at the right one, the manual list this as #16, "spring primer slide" #392336. I couldn't find it on Midway, only this "Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press Return Spring 2-3/4", Manufacturer #391008 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=522855 Maybe there has been a change in part numbers?

Bret4207
05-08-2010, 07:20 AM
A LNL in the box for a year?
:confused:

Bob

Yeah, I kinda got other stuff to finish before starting on that.:shock:

gefiltephish
05-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Yes, the pickup tubes!

The thinger on the end goes over primers with less force than does the one on the Hornady pick-up tubes. Also, the end is kind of beveled, which makes the primer center in the tube more easily than the Hornady unit. Get one of each and see if you don't agree they run smoother.

I'll say it again -- get lots of the one you settle on.

I'll bite. Brian Enos has a set of 4 for 21 bucks.

gefiltephish
05-08-2010, 11:18 PM
thats not the right one. Ask me how i know! I believe that one is for the old projector. Just call hornday or email them and tell them yours is worn and you need one and they will send you one.

Thanks for the heads up!

gefiltephish
05-08-2010, 11:42 PM
I ordered the press Friday morning from ManVenture. Good price, best I've seen. I also ordered shell plates for 45acp and 9mm and a 10 pack of bushings. Ordered a universal ptx from powderfunnels. From Midway, 3 pack of case retainer springs and - I also screwed up and ordered 3 each of small and large primer tubes, not pickup tubes as I intended. I'll send them back and get Cocobolo slim grips for my 1911. As mentioned previously, I'll get the set of 4 tubes from Brian Enos.

I emailed to ManVenture yesterday to see if I can add a powder cop die to my order before it ships. Don't know why they didn't ship it, status is "In Warehouse" which means the order was picked and sent to shipping on Thursday, but not packed/shipped. Hopefully it'll work out to my advantage.

I read somewhere, maybe on UltimateReloader, that Lee dies may not work so well on this press unless thinner locknuts are used. Apparently the dies are just a tad on the short side. Anyone else run into this? I have mostly Lee dies.

mrayw
05-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Lee dies work fine on both my LNL'S.

oldhickory
05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Lee dies work fine on both my LNL'S.

I found the sizing dies a bit on the short side on the LNL AP for most applications.

Four Fingers of Death
05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
The older Lee dies were a bit short for the Dillon 550 I had years ago and I bought some Hornady dies which fixed the problem.

I think that this has not been a problem for some years as the Lee dies are now longer.

piece
05-14-2010, 02:04 AM
If you plan to use a FC at the last station, be aware that you need to cut an angle in the bottom of the die to find some space for the wire that put out the cardridge.

rigger
05-14-2010, 01:37 PM
It's not really a replacement part but I like having a powder drop die for each caliber I reload. It makes changing from one to the other much quicker. I also bought the micrometer inserts for the powder measure. Saves a little fiddling around when it comes to adjusting the measure if you write down the settings for your favorite loads.

The new version of the LNL doesn't use a wire to eject cartridges so that's not an issue anymore.

gefiltephish
05-14-2010, 05:07 PM
The LNL arrived Wednesday. I cleaned it and set it up that night. The next night I began making some 45acp. I was having an infrequent issue with the primer slide hanging up. It wouldn't always return on the down stroke. Thinking there was a burr somewhere, I dressed the edges lightly with some 600 emery, and spread a little graphite around with a q-tip. Didn't help. I was watching the video that came with it today and took particular notice of the primer set up part, especially where the guy says you may have to adjust it if the holes don't line up, and then doesn't tell you how. I figured it out, but jeeze. It should be in the manual but isn't. Mine was way off. Unfortunately I'm out of large primers now to confirm that it works ok, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Today the the powder funnel, powder cop, and Dillon pickup tubes arrived. Have to agree with August on the Dillon tubes! Thanks for that suggestion.

BTW, the Lee dies worked fine. Now with the powderfunnel, I'll only be using the Lee sizer and seater. I have a Hornady taper crimp die.

Extra powder drop dies are a good idea, but I only load 45acp and 9mm. I'm using the load master for 9mm.

technetium-99m
05-15-2010, 01:24 PM
The 9mm powder through die will give you fits, I just switched over to the .357 die and adjusted the measure so it would work properly.

Or you can just use a standard expander die, both options work really well.

Did yours come with the EZ-ject baseplate?

gefiltephish
05-15-2010, 02:49 PM
The 9mm powder through die will give you fits, I just switched over to the .357 die and adjusted the measure so it would work properly.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. I only use the 9mm powder thru die on the Loadmaster, and it works just fine there. I use the LNL measure/powder die with the universal PTX. This effectively makes it a powder through expander die. It's caliber non-specific, though it does need to be adjusted for different caliber case lengths.

Or you can just use a standard expander die, both options work really well.
Before the PTX arrived, I had the .45 Lee powder through expander with just the funnel adapter screwed into the top. This was in station 2. I wasn't using it for powder drop though. Using the PTX allowed me to remove the Lee expander die and then move the measure to station 2, opening station 3 for a powder cop or whatever. Sorry if I read your comments wrong.

Did yours come with the EZ-ject baseplate?
Yes it did. So far works terrific, but I don't think 60 rounds is enough to qualify as a good example.