PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1895 ladder sights

pcmacd
05-05-2010, 11:57 PM
I've got the Japanese takedown 1895. Nice gun. The buckhorn sight system is absolutely horrible -- with a standard 150 grain 30-06 cartridge in the tube, I have to put the sight down to the BOTTOM of the range to get on target at 100 yards. With my aging eyes, I also had to paint the front dot red.

Iben reading lots of so so comments regarding the Peabody Lyman repro sight. Easy to knock off, etc. Besides, it requires some serious drilling and tapping to put it in.

I've seen carbine models of this rifle with a ladder sight. Why can't I seem to find one (except on eBay, and who knows where it came from, and it was SOLD.)

There is always the Williams receiver sight (receiver seems to be tapped and plugged for that one) but it is so UGLY.

Suggestions, 'yall?

tanksAbunch

mac

Don McDowell
05-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Marbles makes a tang sight for the new made 95's. Still need to have some drilling and tapping done to mount it, but its another option.

451whitworth
05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
i have quite a few of the Browning repro leverguns and i agree with your sentiments about the semi buckhorn sights. i also have a couple Winchester/Miroku leverguns which since they come with that horrible rebounding hammer and tang safety anyway, i didn't mind the drilling/tapping to mount sights on them. but since i couldn't bring myself to drill holes in my Brownings here is what i did. i removed the semi buckhorn rear sight and milled the 'horns' off it (you could grind and file instead) so it was straight across like a handgun rear sight. then i smoothed it off with 800 grit and reblued. it opened up a whole new field of view when shooting. Doug Turnbull does the exact same thing to many of his leverguns. check out his website for examples.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Check out the m-95 sights at Buffalo Arms. BvT