PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remelt Felix Lube?

ghh3rd
05-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Seems to take forever to remelt Felix Lube in the microwave. Of course, I'm only using a power level of 2 to reduce the risk of burning it. I have some stored in plastic tubs, and some in small metal pans.

Suggestions?

MT Gianni
05-06-2010, 09:43 AM
I use power level 10 and keep mine stored in old bullion containers. I nuke for 90 seconds stirr and repeat. It usually takes 3 times to melt a lb or so.

geargnasher
05-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Someone here has a good technique (9.2x63AL IIRC) utilizing a small measuring cup and a candle warmer. Takes a couple of hours but won't scorch the lube.

I do what MT Gianni does, but I use a Pyrex 2-cup measuring cup in the microwave. I nuke in 30 second intervals with a minute or so in between to let the heat equalize an eliminate hot spots. Usually can melt 1/2 pound in 4-5 intervals. Cover it well in case it "pops", SWMBO will NOT be happy cleaning FWFL off of the top of the 'wave.

Gear

Changeling
05-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Guys wouldn't the same microwave process work with any lube mixture, specifically as Gear described since it is the burning/scorching of the bees wax that is of major concern?

Sprue
05-07-2010, 06:14 PM
I use a single burner hot plate and a small 12 ounce or so Corning Ware pan (ette) if you will, anytime I need to re-fill the sizers.... which btw, is the same container that I brew the stuff (felix).

I use what I need then let it setup in the same pan, seal it, up in a large freezer size baggie & store it in the drawer when cooled.

94Doug
05-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I like Ben's idea with the old coffee pot. I plan on scrounging the garage sales this summer for one.

Doug

ghh3rd
05-08-2010, 12:06 AM
In one of these posts yesterday I read yesterday that someone had picked up a Crockpot at WMart for $9

I was in WMmat last night for something else and actually remembered the post as I was leaving. Went to the cookware, and sure enough, a Crockpot brand pot with a high and low setting for $9

I just put about 1/4 stick of Felix Lube in it and put it on low. It took a while to heat the pot, but then the lube started to melt. I think this is going to work well. No rush, no burn.

Changeling
05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
In one of these posts yesterday I read yesterday that someone had picked up a Crockpot at WMart for $9

I was in WMmat last night for something else and actually remembered the post as I was leaving. Went to the cookware, and sure enough, a Crockpot brand pot with a high and low setting for $9

I just put about 1/4 stick of Felix Lube in it and put it on low. It took a while to heat the pot, but then the lube started to melt. I think this is going to work well. No rush, no burn.

That was me, thanks for the info. I haven't received my order of wax and stuff yet so haven't tried. Thanks to you now we all know:grin: