PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP 200 gr. HP test & target /pics

gray wolf
05-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Well the sun came out and I got some range time in. Been needing to work up a load for my Mi Heck HP bullets and I wanted to try the same bullet in the flat nose style. The two target below are one with a 5 sided HP and the other target is the solid point ( pin reversed in the mold. I like Tite group powder for my 45 so I used it for the shooting I did.
If you can read the targets you will see I started with 4.7 grains and worked up to 5 grains, I went up in 1/10 increments. I was quite happy that all the loads shot very well. I shot at 10 yards and Sand bagged the pistol.
No hidden shots here--what you see is what I shot.
I think I will go with 5 grains for the solid and the HP.
The picture of the bullet is front and back after it shot through 3+ water jugs.
I have never seen a 45 open up like this. The slug measures 1.030 --larger than a quarter. The lead mix was 60 WW 40 soft lead. I was impressed.
The other target is the wifes 32 auto, the Beretta tom cat, I dropped the load down to 1.7 grains of Tite group for her so she can shoot it a lot and be comfortable and not abuse the alloy frame. I could hardly see the little fixed sights. The pistol shot fine and functioned without a hitch. I didn't do to bad for a little 32 mouse gun.
So thats it men --my day at the range.
Thanks for looking

Sam

Blammer
05-05-2010, 07:58 PM
nice shooting.

Buckshot
05-07-2010, 12:13 AM
..................gray wolf, looks to be some good useable results. Yeah, I'd say you did get some expansion!

..............Buckshot

MtGun44
05-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Looks like 4.8 gr TG works for you just like it does for me. That charge under a
200gr H&G 68 has been my IPSC load for the last 8-9 yrs.

Great accy - tremendous shooting on your part, too.

What media did the boolits expand it? I hear water does a fair job, but I use
stacks of newspaper or phone books soaking wet. I get identical expansion to the
published ballistic gelatin results and almost exactly half the depth of penetration.

Glad you, the wife, the dog and the vehicle all survived without damage, too.

Bill

Matt_G
05-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Now that's some expansion. :holysheep
What's the weight on that recovered boolit? I'd like to know how much was lost.
Doesn't look like that much to me.

EMC45
05-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Great write up GW!

gray wolf
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
The bullet penetrated 3 1/2 water jugs, and as you can see one little corner was broke off--
It lost about 30 grains so it was about 170 grains recovered. It expanded way below the lube groove.
5 grains of Tite group gave good results and will have the max Vel. I could go higher but I don't push my loads. As you can see my accuracy with a little less powder would be fine for paper punching. The 5 grains should do ok for Deer and other thin skinned critters to at least 50 yards Eh .

Thanks for looking

Sam