PDA

View Full Version : Took the 454 Casull plunge today...

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Purchased a used T/C Encore with a 454 Casull barrel today. I was intending to purchase a 460 barrel, but decided I could not pass up this opportunity. I already have 100 pieces of brand new Starline 460 brass that I will be trimming. I plan on shooting lead thru it (of course..LOL) and was looking for some tips on trimming the brass to length. Would it be a good idea to custom trim my brass to length so the primary boolit I intend to use is seated closer to the lands? Is this even possible? This is my first T/C firearm, so I am a newbie. I pick it up this Saturday and hope to be able to load some up on Sat evening and shoot it on Sunday morning. Any tips and tricks would sure be appreciated. I know that if I trim the brass to my exact chamber length, I will have to be very careful and check the length of the brass after resizing just in incase it decides to "grow". If I did this I would mark these pieces of brass for that specific boolit. Any help would sure be appreciated and I plan of shooting this GB mold from NOE. Thanks!

BTW, the HP version of this boolit drops at 220 grns, IIRC. Thanks in advance! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=704013&postcount=1

FN in MT
05-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Why not simply buy some .454 brass to save yourself the trimming on the .460 brass??

I've got a Freedom Arms in .454 and it's a cannon. Talk about moving the .45 Colt WELL past +P++ !!

FN in MT

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Well, I had a bunch of money to spend on my Cabelas visa card and I planned on getting a 460...so I tried to get prepared by buying the brass and dies....only to change my mind. I hear that guys have had good luck with the slower burning powders and Large pistol primers anyway...so I don't mind the extra work.

sucngas
05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
You got to love a casull. Nothing like it. My wife got me a super redhawk as a wedding gift back in 2000. A few weeks back I got a little crazy, loaded up some 405 grain bullets I resized to .452. Guess what I'll be packing in bear country!!! I have always loaded with h110 and small rifle primers. Never had a reason to try another powder.

missionary5155
05-06-2010, 06:18 AM
Good morning
I am wondering why not drill and ream the small primer pockets out to accept a large pistol primer...

Blammer
05-06-2010, 07:49 AM
if you ream it out you will weaken the head area and that will be very bad news on such a round.

Calamity Jake
05-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Would it be a good idea to custom trim my brass to length so the primary boolit I intend to use is seated closer to the lands? Is this even possible? Any tips and tricks would sure be appreciated. I know that if I trim the brass to my exact chamber length, I will have to be very careful and check the length of the brass after resizing just in incase it decides to "grow". If I did this I would mark these pieces of brass for that specific boolit. Any help would sure be appreciated and I plan of shooting this GB mold from NOE. Thanks!

You won't know what length to trim your brass until you get the barrel. Then you will need to cast the chamber to get the length.

PatMarlin
05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I've been wanting to run my plain base boolits in my 454 for a long time now. Specially my Keith versions, so hopfully within the next 2 weeks I will have a PB version 45cal gas check die made to play with and we'll see how much horse power they like.

You've probably seen this before but here's a pic of my 358429 PB version:

http://www.patmarlins.com/35PB1.jpg

fivegunner
05-06-2010, 04:38 PM
How about just reaming out that 454 chamber to 460??? . I own two Freedom arms 454 casulls and they are alot of fun, I want to buy the big S&W 460 just to see what`s its all about, I too bought a bunch of brass and die`s ect, but not the gun yet:bigsmyl2::cbpour:

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-06-2010, 10:36 PM
I have already talked to Mike Bellm about reaming the chamber to 460 length. That is definately a possibility. I would like to se what kind of ballistics I get out of the 15" barrel before I spend the money.