PDA

View Full Version : Omaha, Nebraska. Walgreens. Two places to avoid.

Recluse
05-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Seems a couple of misunderstood youths tried to rob a Walgreens store in Omaha, Nebraska. The lead would-be robber had a shotgun and pointed it at the cashier. A law-abiding citizen pulled HIS gun and lit up the poor misunderstood shotgun-wielding youth.

Said youth collapsed outside, was taken to hospital where he was declared to be at inner-city ghetto temperature.

Good friggin' riddance.

However, Omaha's finest cite the citizen for not having a concealed (carry) permit. He has a permit for open carry, but apparently there are some sillybutted rules in the Cornhusker Kickback State about not wanting to alarm any of the misunderstood sheep who reside in the heavenly urban areas. :rolleyes:

This guy saves customers' lives and the friggin' police cite him.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100427/NEWS97/704279843/0

The news media isn't "allowed" to talk with any Walgreens employees, and Walgreens, true to form, refused any comment whatsoever on the incident. Not so much as a "we're glad no INNOCENT people were hurt" or "We're thankful our employees were not hurt" or "We're sorry the misunderstood youth assumed inner-city ghetto room temperature, but we're thankful no one else was hurt."

There is a Walgreens south of downtown in Kansas City that has regular shootings once a month. The SOBs refuse to have any armed security present there--instead relying on minimum wage mall ninjas who are unarmed.

In Irving, Texas, an overnight Walgreens clerk was shot point blank in the chest two years ago by a gangster wannabe doing his initiation. Walgreens argued with the Irving police and Dallas County District Attorney's office that the clerk (their employee) was a member of the same gang.

Hello? The clerk was white. Not too many white college dudes in the Bloods. . . Walgreens didn't even offer a reward to CrimeStoppers for help in capture, arrest and conviction of the assailant--who is still at large today. One of their employees IS FREAKING SHOT AND KILLED IN THEIR STORE AND THEY DON'T EVEN OFFER A REWARD FOR INFORMATION LEADING TO. . .

And now this thing in Omaha. Personally, I think Walgreens should pay this guy's fine for not having a concealed permit. He probably saved them a buttload of money in settlement suits had the poor misunderstood youth got a chance to open fire.

But no, that ain't Walgreens' way. Well, to hell with them. And to hell with the Omaha Police Department for having the common sense of a pissant. And to hell with Omaha for putting up with idiot city leaders, managers and police chiefs that allow this to continue.

Ever since Pizza Hut fired that delivery driver who saved his own life by using his own firearm for which he had a legal concealed carry permit and in a state that has the Castle Doctrine law, I haven't given Pizza Hut one damned dime of my money. Looks like I can put "the pharmacy America trusts" right there in the same category as Pizza Hut so far as our wanting to ever do business with again.

I cannot believe what our country is coming to.

:coffee:

9.3X62AL
05-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Recluse--

There is some comfort in knowing that despite the follow-on nonsense, there is one less predator running around loose.

Maybe NRA needs to get off their aspirations and get involved in this Good Citizen's defense. I agree, the citation is poppycock--and Walgreens' responses are ridiculous--but both organizations are likely filled with upper echelon pogues whose connection to the real world is part-time at best, and tenuous even then. Suits = idiots, more often than not.

Buckshot
05-05-2010, 12:21 AM
.............In Arizona some years back a private citizen witnessed a perp shoot a cop (don't know if city, county, or trooper) who'd stopped him for a traffic stop. Said private citizen gave chase. I do not recall the exact details but the citizen was legally heeled and used said pistol in the perp's capture. Since his pistol was now evidence it was retained by the authorities.

So now the legally armed citizenl would be without his pistol for some indeterminent length of time. What happened was the PD bought him a new pistol of the same make and model and presented it to him with their thanks.

Now THAT is the way it's supposed to be in my book!

................Buckshot

NSP64
05-05-2010, 12:31 AM
If walgreeds had said anything they would have faced the rath of Rev. jacka**. Then all the poo folks wouldn't have anywheres to buy theys lickour from.

This will probably get the thread moved to the political nether region post area.:bigsmyl2:

I guess I'll add them to my list also.

I have often wondered where all the NRA money is going?

btroj
05-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Just saw on the OMAHA local news that the shooter will face no charges. They can't tell from video if the weapon was concealed or not.

This is why we need to get our facts straight before we rant.

dsmjon
05-05-2010, 07:50 AM
I'd just like to add to the initial post, which coincides with the OP's feelings...

To hell with Obama, if only because his name is similar to Omaha.

/rant.

A shame the reporter for this story apparently didn't bother to interview the family of the cashier for their POV.

Recluse
05-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Just saw on the OMAHA local news that the shooter will face no charges. They can't tell from video if the weapon was concealed or not.

This is why we need to get our facts straight before we rant.

Get your facts straight. Never said/wrote that the good guy was going to face charges. What I wrote, per the news story from Omaha that is linked, is that the police cited him for concealing his handgun.

Significant difference between being charged and being cited.

DLCTEX
05-05-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm with Recluse, we shouldn't support idiots.

danski26
05-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I've had problems with wallgreens for years. Not cooperating with investigations and generaly protecting there drug dealing customers in violation of state law. They have been off my shopping list for quite some time.

cbrick
05-05-2010, 12:26 PM
ChinaMart has been on my list for several years, not because of this but because the richest, most profitable company in the country has something like 70% of it's California employees on one form of public assitance or another such as food stamps, welfare payments etc.

That alone should tell you something about ChinaMart!

Rick

EMC45
05-05-2010, 12:26 PM
.............in arizona some years back a private citizen witnessed a perp shoot a cop (don't know if city, county, or trooper) who'd stopped him for a traffic stop. Said private citizen gave chase. I do not recall the exact details but the citizen was legally heeled and used said pistol in the perp's capture. Since his pistol was now evidence it was retained by the authorities.

So now the legally armed citizenl would be without his pistol for some indeterminent length of time. What happened was the pd bought him a new pistol of the same make and model and presented it to him with their thanks.

Now that is the way it's supposed to be in my book!

................buckshot

amen!

KCSO
05-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Well here's the problem with the concealed carry law in NE. If you don't have C/C and get stopped you get cited for misdemeanor carrying concealed weapon. The difference here is that CCW charge is subject to the mandatory affirmative defence. This means that if you show grounds for carrying the Judge will dismiss the charges.

But woe betide you if you have a C/C and go in somewhere with a sign on the door, you are in MORE trouble than if you were carrying w/o the permit. I don't know about Omaha right now but Walgreens closest to us is posted NO CC.

Omaha and the OPD in particular are not pro gun. If you buy a hand gun in the city limits you have to register it with the City even if you don't live there. The last time I had to do this I was met at the counter with a smart remark about another RAMBO buying a 45. I had a nice chat with somebody's supervisor and somebody lost his cushy desk job. If I remember right Omaha, Lincoln and GI were all trying to negate the CC in their jursdictions and were shot down.

An interesting note is that one round went down the tube of the shotgun! How's that for shoot where you look.

1Shirt
05-05-2010, 02:32 PM
KCSO has it about right! However this thread started out with all kinds of assumptions and opinion. Kind of like the news media and the current administration in Washington D.C. making statements without knowing the facts. As to the police work involved, they were following proceedure and that is their job. Only the end result is what counts in all cases. In this case, Mr. McCullah(think that is the right spelling) is exonerated for any of the charges brought. As to Wallgreens, I have no problem with the company, their proceedures or policies, and they have stores open 24 hours a day in our area.
1Shirt!:coffee:

GOPHER SLAYER
05-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Since this incindent ended well , I suppose we shouldn't complain. I am sure of one thing though. The next time a similar situation occures the person with a gun might think twice before he comes to the rescue of those about to be murdered, whether he has a carry permit or not. I know I surely would. God forbid we end up like some countries that don't even allow you to defend yourself in your own home.

leftiye
05-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Only the end result is what counts in all cases. 1 shirt

Yup that does count. No harm, no foul, huh? Just do whatever they want, and hope the higher ups straighten it out (called the forlorn hope). How about just doing it right - maybe even "for a change"?

Why should the guy be put through that? What happened to giving a puke about the citizen?

WallyM3
05-05-2010, 08:53 PM
One of the reasons that Vermont is very low on the violent crimes list is that it is fairly rural in blend, fairly cold in winter, fairly socioeconomically homogeneous and fairly well armed.

We still take the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution (which does not, by the way, grant the right; it ensures it) at face value and seriously. We simply tell the LOE that just stopped us for the traffic infraction that we're carrying and we don't want to surprise them. When we tell them, they aren't surprised...

...because in Vermont, carrying is a right, not a privilege. We don't need Their Lordships' permission.

Now that's American.

Have a safe day. If you live here, it's even safer.

WallyM3
05-05-2010, 09:08 PM
And just a thought on "following procedure" (it's been called, "just following orders" in other jurisdictions and times).

There is a law somewhere that prohibits anything and everything. Whether a Department or State's Attorney applies it to a situation is a matter of choice and common sense, and therein lies the rub.

These decisions appear to me to be driven by the fear that someone, somewhere, somehow will criticize the failure to prosecute as "offending" some special interest group (if you know what I mean).

In my view, this is not what Law is about. Or should be about. (The problem with Law, for the most part, is Lawyers.)

Just a thought. I could be wrong.

One of the things that gets under my saddle is how chicken (poop) many aspects of living in this country have become.

hydraulic
05-05-2010, 09:21 PM
KCSO: The Nebraska legislature just passed LB 817 which eliminates the Omaha registration law. It also provides that a CCW holder doesn't have to get a handgun purchase permit from the county sheriff or have a background check for purchasing a firearm. For the most part, we have good representatives in Lincoln. I hope we get another good sheriff in Knox County. CM.

1Shirt
05-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Good words Hydrilic, had not received word on LB 817. And, WalleyM3, couldn't agree more with you about lawyers. If we could keep them out of congress, and put in congress those who have worn the uniform of our country, life would be much better.

Harry O
05-06-2010, 07:15 PM
The individual fired 8 shots from a .40 S&W. Four hit the misunderstood youth. One went up the barrel of the shotgun and destroyed the bolt/breech. The shotgun was unloaded, although no one knew it at the time.

The handgun was confiscated from the individual on the spot and a ticket was written for a MISDEMEANOR (concealing a handgun without a concealed carry permit). The three misunderstood youths were gang members. ALL the newsmedia used the individuals name, all stated that he no longer had a gun, and some of the stated where he lived, not that it would be hard to find.

The Douglas County Attorney decided quickly that since the bullet traveled up the barrel, the misunderstood youth was pointing it directly at the individual, so he was justified in his self defense -- at last some sanity. (Some IDIOT posting on a TV station website said, he didn't have to be pointing it at the guy. The guy could have "curved" the bullet into the barrel). The State Patrol said that since he had a ticket for carrying concealed illegally, he would NEVER be allowed to get a concealed carry license in the future.

A couple of days later, a collection was taken up and money given to the individual to buy a new gun to replace the one stolen by the police. When he went to register it (Omaha has had handgun registration since the 1880's) he was refused since he had a ticket outstanding. That meant that he could not pick up the gun. Still unarmed.

Just yesterday, the City Attorney said that he could not prove the gun was completely concealed so he was going to drop the ticket. No word yet on if or when he will get his original gun back or be allowed to get a new one. No retraction from the State Patrol, either.

Remember this when someone tells you the Police are on your side. They are not.

leftiye
05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Amen. Seems they hated everybody in this case (as usual). Not right IMHO.

milsurp mike
05-06-2010, 08:55 PM
MAN I am Glad I live in SOUTH ALABAMA.Our laws still favor the Honest hard working Folks.Mike

Recluse
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
The State Patrol said that since he had a ticket for carrying concealed illegally, he would NEVER be allowed to get a concealed carry license in the future.

A couple of days later, a collection was taken up and money given to the individual to buy a new gun to replace the one stolen by the police. When he went to register it (Omaha has had handgun registration since the 1880's) he was refused since he had a ticket outstanding. That meant that he could not pick up the gun. Still unarmed.

Just yesterday, the City Attorney said that he could not prove the gun was completely concealed so he was going to drop the ticket. No word yet on if or when he will get his original gun back or be allowed to get a new one. No retraction from the State Patrol, either.

Remember this when someone tells you the Police are on your side. They are not.

Oh yeah. . . like I said, two places I avoid--Omaha and Walgreens. I try to avoid all places that are gun-unfriendly.

On my annual flights to South Dakota/North Dakota, Omaha would be a convenient place to land and rest and buy fuel, have some lunch. Never have been able to bring myself to do it. Damned sure won't now.

Let's see: Crime was committed, police nowhere to be found. Police arrive on scene after shooting stops. Good guy given a ticket on the spot for saving lives and the store from being robbed.

Gives ME a warm fuzzy for the Omaha cops. :rolleyes: I wonder if they were taught in Indoctrination School, er excuse me, the academy, that they could always issue that misdemeanor citation after the fact and after a proper investigation?

Then the State law enforcement geniuses come out and say that the good guy is hosed forever in Nebraska because basically he saved some lives in a manner the State Police didn't like--but again, where the hell were THEY? I'll tell you where: Writing tickets on the highway to people traveling ten miles over the speed limit or driving with a headlight out or a malfunctioning signal light. Granted, these are all grievous offenses committed by hardened felons-waiting-to-be, offenders who are just waiting to wreak havoc and ruin upon society. The worst of the worst when it comes to lawbreakers.

Meanwhile in Omaha, gang-bangers are selling drugs with impunity, burglarizing houses, stealing cars, committing assaults and rapes, trading in illegal weapons, and at the local China-mart Walgreens, they are trying to rob a store. . .

And the police write Harry McCullough a ticket for basically saving his own ass.

If I were McCullough, I'd pack my bags and move out of Omaha, and now Nebraska (thanks to the State Police now mandating that he'll never get a concealed carry permit), and move somewhere that is still relatively free.

This whole thing just disgusts the living hell out of me.

cbrick
05-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Seems Recluse doesn't understand good old fashioned cash cow squeezing. That's their job, squeeze all the cash cows they can during their shift. That's why they write BS laws such as, turn your wipers on in the day time when your headlights are off . . . Pay the government. Don't have your seat belt on . . . Pay the government. Change lanes on a completely empty street without using your turn signal . . . Pay the government. Many, many more such examples.

Government has a very simple philosophy on money. You have some? Cough it up, they want it. Don't have any? Get some, they want it.

Busting criminals pays nothing, squeezing cash cows pays hundreds of millions a year in this state alone.

See how simple it all is?

Rick

a.squibload
05-07-2010, 01:29 AM
Law Enforcement has a bad REP (Revenue Enhancement Program) put on 'em by government.
Traffic enforcement, ostensibly for safety, is lately a game of technicalities.
Deviate from precision driving, pay the fine.
Takes their time away from helping us vs bad guys. What's worse, me driving 7mph over on the freeway,
or perp in my neighborhood busting a door in?

Gotta hand it to 'em, I've been warned more than once here over the years for exceeding the limit by almost twice.
Driving safely, just too fast. Nice guys.

Also 2 nights ago I heard the usual "VROOOOM!" coming around the curve.
This time I also heard "WOOP WOOP!" Alright! I drive in neighborhoods like a boat in a "no wake" zone, not SUPER slow but with respect for others.

Sorry, back on topic. What would McCullah feel like if he didn't stop the bad guy and a clerk or customer got killed?
No duty to protect them but he COULD stop the bad guy and he did.
Walgreens wimped out to protect some kind of Politically Correct image.
They should give this guy free print cartridges for life, or whatever he was in there for.

Still awake?
I have avoided 7-11 since the '70s when I used their restroom and saw the poster for employees
stating the 7-11 policy on robbery compliance.
A freind now works for them (by necessity, 2nd job). She would be a more valuable asset, and a lot safer while working, if they did not prohibit her from carrying her legally concealed pistol.

Harry O
05-07-2010, 08:43 AM
> "They should give this guy free print cartridges for life, or whatever he was in there for."

Actually, he was in there to buy some ice cream they had on sale.

From the media reports, he is a high school graduate who has been working minimum wage jobs (or slightly higher) since he got out of school. He got an open carry permit to allow him to be an armed security guard at higher wages. That is when he bought the gun (it has not been said specifically, but it has been implied that the Glock was his only gun). Seems with the recession, there are not as many places that have stuff that has to be guarded, so he is no longer working as a guard, but he still carries his gun. He is now working some kind of office job with a hospital. They offered him free counseling if he wanted.

Harry O
05-07-2010, 09:11 AM
> "If you don't have C/C and get stopped you get cited for misdemeanor carrying concealed weapon. The difference here is that CCW charge is subject to the mandatory affirmative defence. This means that if you show grounds for carrying the Judge will dismiss the charges."

> "The Nebraska legislature just passed LB 817 which eliminates the Omaha registration law."

A couple of clarifications and corrections. I was once told by a Deputy City Attorney that the the "mandatory affirmative defense" in carrying a gun is only for "connected" people. It is not for the riff-raff -- like you and me. Since the decision is left entirely up to the Judge, it cannot be challenged higher up.

LB817 does not eliminate Omaha registration law. Prior to LB817, the City of Omaha had required anyone with a CCW permit to also have the gun they were carrying registered with the Police Dept. This included people who did not live in the City. If the gun was not registered, it was confiscated. What LB817 says is that the City cannot do that any more. Anyone living outside of the City does not have to register their gun and the gun cannot be confiscated for that reason. Those inside the City still have to register their guns.

Personal note: I once had a S&W Model 63 that I was disappointed in. So I sold it to someone 3 states away. I took it to a local FFL and had it shipped to his FFL, so everything was legal. I kept copies of everything. Then I went to the Police Dept to have my registration of that gun erased. They refused. The fact that I had copies of letter, FFL's etc, meant nothing. I was told that the NEW owner would have to register the gun with them before they would remove it from my name. I told them that he was 3 states away and he wasn't going to drive up here to do that. They said, tough. It is in your name until he does.

The problem here is that the City Police, the County Police, and the State Patrol all fight each other (turf battles) and none of them like gunowners.

Matt_G
05-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Government has a very simple philosophy on money. You have some? Cough it up, they want it. Don't have any? Get some, they want it.
Yep, that pretty much covers it.
I think it was Ronald Reagan who said the governments philosophy was this in a nutshell:
"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it."

bohokii
05-07-2010, 03:34 PM
who only owns one gun?

nobody i know

Recluse
05-07-2010, 05:29 PM
who only owns one gun?

nobody i know

There was a time in which I only owned one gun--it was all I could afford.

I know numerous people who only own one gun.

easy ed
05-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I have a nephew who lives in Omaha and works with the police dept. I sent him this piece about Walgreens and here is hie reply.

The only good thing about this story (other than the ****head that help up the place is dead) is they city dropped the charges against the guy on Tuesday for not having a CCW permit. Turns out they couldn't prove his weapon was actually concealed. In the great state of Nebraska you can walk around anywhere with a gun on your side

Harry O
05-07-2010, 07:37 PM
> "In the great state of Nebraska you can walk around anywhere with a gun on your side"

That may be what he said, but that is not what the Omaha police allow. Maybe it is correct in the rest of Nebraska, but I once asked an Omaha policeman about open carry (this was back when there was no concealed carry license). He said that if anyone complained, they would confiscate it for "brandishing a weapon". Even if nobody complained, they would probably do it anyway. BTW, the individual in the Walgreens shooting had a permit from the Omaha police dept for open carry. How many other places do you know that you actually have to get a permit for open carry?

Like I said, the police here are anti-gunowner and have been so as long as I can remember (and I remember when the 1968 GCA came in and meant that I could no longer order guns through the mail).

DIRT Farmer
05-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Stoped at the local pharmacy to pick up some meds. Chatting with the owner, I ask if he had heard about this story. As discussing it he told me, if someone is robbing me, feel free to shoot as many times as nessary. also I would get meds for a year with no co-pay. His statement ypu and your gun are welcome here any time.

Gotta love small town owner operated bisunesses.

hydraulic
05-07-2010, 10:04 PM
www.governor.nebraska./gov/mail/govmail.htm/

(2) The city of Omaha cannot require a CHP holder to register their handguns. This means they cannot require registration when you purchase in the city of Omaha, and they cannot require a CHP holder to register their handgun in order to carry it in the city.

BOOM BOOM
05-08-2010, 04:05 PM
HI,
IT IS ALMOST ENOUGH REASON TO MOVE THERE!
Seems like those 2 states still support personal freedom & liberity (they are not the same thing).
But it may be that Idaho, Whyoming,& Utah may be starting to follow thier lead. AT LEAST I HOPE SO.
I guess I need to add:
walgreens,
pizza hut
to the list with Hewert Packerd.

Maybe we should start a sticky listing anti gun & anti hunting groups.

Harry O
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
www.governor.nebraska./gov/mail/govmail.htm/

Sever Not Found.

You should try the Nebraska Legislative website and read the actual text. I like this governor (we can thank him for the current CCW license), but the bill must have been changed after he wrote this. It is not in the passed bill.

I am thinking of buying a Charter Arms Bulldog from a nearby pawn shop. Maybe I should take the statement you posted in with me and see if I can buy it without registration. That would be interesting.

WallyM3
05-08-2010, 07:48 PM
(sigh) All you gotta do is move to Vermont.

Permits? PERMITS?

We don't need no steenking permits.

(It's true.)

hydraulic
05-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Harry: I probably copied it wrong. I took it from the Nebraska Concealed Carry site; www.ccwne.com.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-08-2010, 09:09 PM
(sigh) All you gotta do is move to Vermont.

Permits? PERMITS?

We don't need no steenking permits.

(It's true.)

We don't need no permits either! (Well . . . in less than 90 days!) and most of the state has no snow either!:Fire:

I remember when I lived in Springfield, VT I asked the local PD about me carring a gun, they said they wanted it out in the open, and for me to have a hunting licence! (Even though it was a Glock 19 with 16 rounds, and hunting auto's could only have 5 shots!) I also don't miss their taxes . . .

Lots of land here in AZ for gun owners . . . yesterday I walked a round Tucson with my SP101 in a IWB holster, I only got three comments on my gun, and all three were positive!

btroj
05-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I just have to say that I find it disturbing that ONE incident makes everyone decide Omaha, Nebraska in general, and Walgreens are all anti-gun and horrible places to be.

I find Omaha to be a nice area to live. Not a real high crime area, good schools, and pretty damn nice people. Out politics aren't too bad either. Are there things that could be better? Yes- but they could be lots worse too.

I happen to work for Walgreens and can only say i will be happy when all this **** dies down. I have no issues with how the company handled the situation. Is a company ever going to praise a guy for stopping a robbery by killing the guy? No. For the company this was a lose lose situation. We can get blasted by the pro-gun or anti-gun crowd. It's better to let it die down and go away.

How different would the discussion be had the guy killed or wounded a customer? Thank God he didn't but we can only wonder how different it would be.

Go ahead and flame away- I no longer give a damn what most of you have to say anyway. we see complaints that civility on this site is a dying thing- and this whole string shows why. We need to get rid of this "my way or the hiway" ****.

smokemjoe
05-08-2010, 10:43 PM
watch that outfit, They overcharge all the time.

Harry O
05-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Harry: I probably copied it wrong. I took it from the Nebraska Concealed Carry site; www.ccwne.com.

I see what they say at the CCWNE website. We will have to see how it shakes out. I was at two pawnshops today (the ones downtown) and they were both talking about this at the gun counter. In both places the people behind the counter did not want to be the first to NOT follow previous City law (which was to not give the gun to anyone until they came back with registration papers from the Police). They figured there will probably be an arrest and a lawsuit, which neither one wanted to pay for.

I see that they also have an ad for the Nebraska Firearm Owners Assn. I quit that organization in the late 1980's. I used to belong to them, but when Sarah Brady started coming to town on an almost weekly basis to get bad gunlaws through Senator Brad Ashford, I called the president of the assn to ask him when he was going to testify in Lincoln against the bad bills. He told me that he wasn't going to go and neither was any of the officers of the organization. He said that they were a rifle target shooting organization and as far as he was concerned, they could do whatever they wanted with handguns. In the weeks to follow, I talked with several of the officers of the org and found that they agreed with the president. That is when I quit.

I, along with about a dozen other gunowners from all over the State, went to Lincoln to talk to every legislator there (there are 49 of them) and tell them how bad the bill was. We co-ordinated with the NRA lobbyist that was there almost as much as we were. I used up most of my vacation that year a day or two at a time down in Lincoln. It was very discouraging, but we were able to blunt the blow. We did not get away clean, but the worst parts of the bills were discarded.

Afterward, I heard the usual blowhards at the gun ranges I belong to ranting and raving about the traitor gunowners who compromised with the politicians. I asked one of them if he ever went to Lincoln to tell them that he was against it. While he was thinking this over (it didn't seem to me to be that difficult a question), I told him I knew every one of the people who spent time down there fighting this, but I never saw him. Then he started ranting and raving at me and calling me a traitor.

The problem was that we very carefully counted every vote and we did not have enough votes to kill the bill entirely. It was either compromise or lose. It is as simple as that. If you have enough votes to get your way, you don't compromise. If you don't have the votes, you try to stop what you can (another word for that is compromise). I left after the ranter became president of the club because of his tough talk (but no action) and eventually joined another club.

I think the biggest problems with gunowners is the ones that talk tough, but don't follow through with their legislator.

hydraulic
05-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Harry: I made one trip down to Lincoln with Doc Carlson to one of the hearings, and wound up sitting next to Ashford. I didn't testify at that meeting, and it took place at a time when I was financially embarrassed, so the other gun owners of Nebraska and I are in your debt.

buck1
05-09-2010, 10:56 PM
.............In Arizona some years back a private citizen witnessed a perp shoot a cop (don't know if city, county, or trooper) who'd stopped him for a traffic stop. Said private citizen gave chase. I do not recall the exact details but the citizen was legally heeled and used said pistol in the perp's capture. Since his pistol was now evidence it was retained by the authorities.

So now the legally armed citizenl would be without his pistol for some indeterminent length of time. What happened was the PD bought him a new pistol of the same make and model and presented it to him with their thanks.

................Buckshot

Makes me want to move to AZ!!!!

deerslayer
05-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Let's be careful we are not giving all cops a bad rap for this or similiar events. Where i live in Franklin Co. Indiana I have asked a few deputies and all of them completely agree with me having a concealed firearm legally of course. They have told me that they prefer it is concealed to not bring unneeded attention to the fact that I have a firearm. One even has told me if I needed to come to his aid to feel free if the necessity was there.

leftiye
05-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I think the most freaked out Highway Patrolman I ever saw was the one that I stopped and asked if he needed any help one night when I was on my way home from work. He had a stop on the on ramp out in the middle of nowhere.

People here have felt that I was down on all policemen they have said at times. Never was the case. But as many others here have said - in the last 30 years I have been continually alarmed by the direction of development in law enforcement.

WallyM3
05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
leftiye, I think that general drift applies to many things.

Sadly.

Increasingly, people will not, can not and don't know how to govern their own conduct anymore.

shootinxd
05-11-2010, 10:26 PM
all good points,I just wont spend my dollars at walgreens.

jlmomaha
12-29-2010, 04:43 AM
hey i know this is an old post but i want to say somethings, my family consists of police, deputy sheriffs, lawers, a former city prosecuter "mickey meckna" and 1 judge.
in omaha you must register every gun you buy, if you buy in another county you have 30 days to register it, if you buy it in omaha the place selling the "pistol, long guns do not require registation" will give you a slip of paper that you take to the police station "along with $10". the police give you the registration and a peice of paper you take back to the shop then pick up your gun.
You CAN carry open without any permits, as far as the brandishing a weapon goes if someone calls in on you there needs to be proof, there was a guy here that took brass knuckles to another guy and got away with it despite having witnesses no proof no video?.
some of our laws are stupid I would rather live in iowa in many respects but I am happy here.
but yes despite being mostly a republican state and city we still have some libs pushing bad ideas..
I hope everyone had a nice christmas!!!!!!!

Echo
12-29-2010, 02:30 PM
I happen to work for Walgreens and can only say i will be happy when all this **** dies down. I have no issues with how the company handled the situation. Is a company ever going to praise a guy for stopping a robbery by killing the guy? No. For the company this was a lose lose situation. We can get blasted by the pro-gun or anti-gun crowd. It's better to let it die down and go away.

Well, No, A company won't say that the robbery was stopped by killing the perp. But the company could say 'A shopper used a gun to stop the robbery', or 'Thankfully, another customer was armed and stopped the robbery. The perp was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. No customers or employees were injured.' And so on. Mr McCullough wasn't intent on killing the perp, he was intent on stopping the robbery and ensuring no innocents were injured. (OK, I am inferring intent)

Suits at the top are wimps... True for MANY institutions... Talk good, sartorially splendid, but no cojones.

starmac
12-29-2010, 06:54 PM
I just have to say that I find it disturbing that ONE incident makes everyone decide Omaha, Nebraska in general, and Walgreens are all anti-gun and horrible places to be.

I find Omaha to be a nice area to live. Not a real high crime area, good schools, and pretty damn nice people. Out politics aren't too bad either. Are there things that could be better? Yes- but they could be lots worse too.

How different would the discussion be had the guy killed or wounded a customer? Thank God he didn't but we can only wonder how different it would be.

Go ahead and flame away- I no longer give a damn what most of you have to say anyway. we see complaints that civility on this site is a dying thing- and this whole string shows why. We need to get rid of this "my way or the hiway" ****.

Why pray tell is it bad for gun owners or even non gun owners to choose not to spend their money at any business or in a city where they squash any of our rights. Even if it is rights of people we don't agree with, we are losing our rights one at a time. one business, one city, one county, and one state at a time. In my life many of the idiotic things california has come up with evenyually trickeled to all or most states. I have one way to fight back and that is where I chose to spend my money, I have absolutely nothing against nebraska, but if I buy anything in omaha they get a little tax money from me to help with squashing rights. I just choose not to fund these kind of things if I know about it and can possibly help it, and have for years. I know there are many businesses that fly under the radar though.

JIMinPHX
12-29-2010, 10:28 PM

................Buckshot

About a week after I moved to Phoenix, I read in the local paper how an elderly couple had moved to the south side of town, then promptly got robbed. Two thieves broke into their home late at night. The elderly gentleman grabbed a revolver & went to see what the ruckus was. He found a thief with his TV in hand. The thief raised the TV over his head, about to smash it on the elderly man's head & that's when the homeowner fired his gun & killed the robber.

The cops showed up & took statements. As this was being done, the homeowner spotted the second thief in the crowd that had gathered & he too was arrested. It turns out that thief #2 came back to see what had happened to his brother. Thief #2 was charged with murder because he had committed a felony (burglary) that resulted in the death of another person (dead thief #1, his brother). The homeowner was given his gun back & advised to keep it loaded because the thieves may have friends & family in the area that might seek revenge.

That is the best story of justice that I have ever read in a newspaper.

I do like the general attitude of law enforcement in this state. 99% of the time, it is the criminals that get punished here, unlike in some more left leaning states.

Harry O
12-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Interesting this should come up right now. A local radio station (KFAB) is having a contest on who is the most admired local Omaha person for 2010. The person who is ahead right now is the "Walgreens Warrior". If you would like to add to his total, go here to vote: http://www.kfab.com/pages/voorhees.html

montana_charlie
12-30-2010, 02:24 PM
The population may like him, but the cops don't...
http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/05/robert-farago/walgreens-hero-harry-j-mccullough-iii-homeless-unarmed/

CM

Harry O
12-30-2010, 04:59 PM
The population may like him, but the cops don't...
http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/05/robert-farago/walgreens-hero-harry-j-mccullough-iii-homeless-unarmed/

CM

Yep, that has been cussed and discussed earlier in the thread.

montana_charlie
12-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Ya know...
Pundits, police, and politicians act like the word 'vigilante' leaves a bitter taste in their mouth when they have to say it publicly. But, there is a reason that movies and (real-life stories) about Joe Citizen 'fixing things on his own' are pretty good at the box office.

I don't advocating replacing our justice system with vigilance committees, but there are some zones of control where 'the system' is an utter failure at handing out anything resembling what the average man would consider 'justice'.

CM

mold maker
12-30-2010, 07:09 PM
The system is always a day late and a dollar short. At the best they fill out reports and attempt to catch the bad guys after the fact. Personal protection is the responsibility of the individual, and those around him. Because of circumstances, our hero showed them up, with quick action, and that left a bad taste.
Way too many LEO are political appointees, or friends of the same.
The warrior was either, at the right place at the right time, or at the wrong place at the wrong time. That is determined by which point of view you hold about gun ownership. Either way the officer at the scene is subject to a higher up, and his philosophy on gun ownership.
Thank God for the Warriors among us.

leftiye
12-30-2010, 08:28 PM
They (police depts, liberal officials, etc.) want to have their cake and eat it too. Or as my dad would say, they're playing both ends against the middle. And they are literally. They cultivate the poor and handout segments of society and cater to the rich, and those in between it's devil take the hindmost.

As mold maker said, personal protection is of necessity the responsibility of the individual. Always has been, and the POlice don't do much to make that less necessary. As it is more than our responsibility (if we don't wanna get dead) to defend ourselves, it is our right; then it seems so callous, and morally bankrupt that our government and police agencies do so much to prevent our sucessful survival.

Power is all they care about. Citizenry, their rights (some of which won't go away regardless of what perverted laws are passed and enforced. -Witness which law one would be expected to abide if it cost them their life) Ethics, and right or wrong be damned.

1Shirt
12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
There sure is a lot of negativity regarding this thread overall. I am kind of reminded of the old yankee sayin, "hain't nothin more rightious than a reformed prostitute". Shaksphere had it right!

Recluse
01-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Ya know...
Pundits, police, and politicians act like the word 'vigilante' leaves a bitter taste in their mouth when they have to say it publicly.
CM

Those for whom the word "vigilante" leaves a sour taste in their mouth have never bothered to research the origins of the word (Spanish--to stand watch over or to guard over) or its Latin root, vigil.

I support vigilantes completely. When the justice system does its job, there is no need for vigilantes. But when the justice system fails--as it so often does these days--then justice still needs to be served.

A system or outcome of justice is the only thing that keeps a society in check and civilized.