PDA

View Full Version : Never Would Have Thought of This

pjh421
05-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I was perusing the customer comments at MidwayUSA regarding the RCBS 44-250-K mould (one of my favorites) and came across this:

5 stars
Sheena Carwin of Arvada, CO
Date posted: 4/7/2010
Very good mold. After short prep and full warm up, was dropping 0.432” high quality slugs after only 2 cycles. Shoots very accurate in a 445 mag Dan Wesson revolver. I also managed to install a gas check on the cast bullet to prevent leading my gun barrel when firing maximum loads. I used a Hornady camlock bullet puller. After lubing the bullet w/ wax and using the appropriate sized puller collet, insert about 1/8” of the bottom driving band of the cast bullet into the puller’s collet fingers. Actuate the puller lever to squeeze down the bullet diameter just enough to install a gas check with hand pressure. Crimp the gas check using usual methods ( I use a Lee bullet sizer die). With lube and gas check, I can fire the bullet to 1,550 fps w/o leading my gun barrels. I’ve done the same thing for my other cast bullets for pistol & rifle. This saved me a lot of dollar from buying FMJ bullets to fire full power loads in all my guns….

I don't have a Hornady Camlock boolit pooler & don't plan to get one but I admire Sheena's ingenuity nonetheless.

Paul

AnthonyB
05-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Wish I could find one that drops at .432. My two barely make .430, and I'm thinking of sending one to Erik to have the bands opened up. That is a good idea on the GC....
Tony

MtGun44
05-04-2010, 11:30 PM
GCs are overrated. Innovative but unnecessary.

I can fire the same boolit without the GC at ~1600 in a carbine with no leading.

Fit, boolit design, alloy and good lube. GCs are unnecesary in a smooth barrel with a well fitted boolit
up to at least 1600 fps or more. I shoot RCBS 44-250-K, 429421, 357429, Lee 358RF bb and others
at full velocity in 6" .357 and .44 Mags from S&W and Ruger with no significant leading.