PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR

Longrange
05-04-2010, 06:51 PM
I have been thinking of adding a Ruger LCR to my collection and use at for a backup. I have handled the LCR however need to find a shop locally that does not insist on that dam trigger lock to make up my mind. Any one have one or shoot one.

Comments would be great. I have seen a great deal of articles however I would like someone to give an opinion that does not get paid to write.

Thanks.

:lol:

05-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I ran a couple mags through one and it was great fun, snappy little gun but It's not on my list of guns to buy.

Angus
05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
357, he means the LCR, not the LCP. I can't imagine a good reason for a plastic revolver, but that's just me...

BD
05-04-2010, 08:02 PM
I just went through this search as a result of wearing out my old M37. I tried the LCR, and tried to like it, but in the end it felt "bigger" in my pocket and I just couldn't get by the trigger. So, in the end I shelled out the extra 60 for a 442, (which can still be gotten without a lock).
BD

Harry O
05-04-2010, 08:14 PM
One of the ranges I belong to got one in when they first came out. Instead of selling it, they put it in the "rental" case. It was busy. I don't know how many rounds it had fired before I got it, but it was absolutely filthy. They don't clean their rental guns until they malfunction. I rented it for a half hour and shot 50 rounds through it. The most painful thing was the cost of the cartridges.

They would NOT allow any handloads and would not allow any factory loads from home. I HAD to buy a box of ammunition from them to shoot the gun. I have not bought any factory .38 Specials for at least 15 years. The $30 they charged for those (standard .38 Special loads -- I would not spring for the $45 +P cartridges) was quite a shock.

Anyway, I was impressed with the little Ruger and intend to buy one after the usual feeding frenzy (full retail cost or over) is over. I fired it at 7 yards. The double action (the only way to shoot it) pull was very good. Instead of the force to pull the trigger climbing until it released, it came up at the beginning, was fairly flat over most of the pull, with a "plateau" at the end.

It reminded me of a Davis PPS revolver trigger I own, only heavier. It was about the same total pull as a S&W Model 36 I have, but the feel was different. With practice, I could bring the trigger of the Ruger to the plateau, stop, align the sights, and finish the trigger pull. I was able to keep the double action shots in the black of the target I was using (also had to be bought at the range). That is about 4" or 5" diameter. The group was very close to the point of aim, just a little low and to the left (for me). In looking at it, I don't think the point of impact can be moved very much with a file, so it is good they are close. From memory, I think the rear sight (a groove in the top of the frame) was plastic. In other words, don't touch it. I think the front sight was aluminum. The front sight overfilled the rear sight, so taking a little off on one side would probably be a help.

The grips and the "plastic" frame do soak up a lot of recoil. It felt better than my S&W even though my S&W is heavier. There was absolutely no sensitivity on my hand after firing the 50 rounds in the Ruger. Even though my S&W is heavier, it causes a little sensitivity. BTW, I have "boot grips" on the S&W, not the standard skinny wood. On the other hand, I definitely prefer the 3" barrel I have on the S&W. The 2" barrel on the Ruger is too short to eject the cases cleanly. I wish they offered it in 3".

BTW, I bought my wife a Ruger SP-101 when it first came out (also with a 3" barrel). The new Ruger is light-years ahead of the SP101. The SP-101 is a S&W K-frame that shrunk a little in the wash. It is heavier and larger than my S&W. Not good for a gun that is intended to be concealed. The new Ruger is smaller than both of them.

Like I said, I intend to buy one -- someday.