PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to store Beeswax in my shed?

NuJudge
05-04-2010, 06:18 PM
I bought a LOT of it some years ago, and had been storing it in my basement, but I moved it to my shed over the winter. I live in Michigan, and temperatures in my shed may reach 95F during the summer. Will it melt and make a mess?

CDD

Edubya
05-04-2010, 08:59 PM
It wouldn't hurt to get one of those styrofoam coolers to store it in. Mine are ine one and it gets warmer than that here in NC.
EW

ANeat
05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Probably wont melt but the mice may like it

randyrat
05-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Melting point is well over 100 degs f. There are some bugs or insects that can attact it.
Also it will loose weight over time due to moisture or loss of it. Air tight jar or container that is air tight is best.

Charlie Sometimes
05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
What effect does loss of moisture have on it, besides weight loss?
What happens when it is remelted or blended to make lube after it has lost moisture?

I store mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma seal lid (easy access).

Muddy Creek Sam
05-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Mice do like it. Don't ask how I know.

Sam :D

Tim357
05-04-2010, 11:35 PM
I store beeswax in the garage. It gets over 120* out there in the summer... No worries

wistlepig1
05-05-2010, 12:39 AM
I vacuum packed my wax I got from Randy. That sealed in the smell, No mice, and if it did melt (not likely in Colorado) it will not go anywhere. FYI

ChaplainJohn
05-05-2010, 12:56 AM
I'd vacuum seal it like whistlpig to keep critters from getting too interested. My beekeeper buddy (Who lives in the Sacramento Valley [100+ degrees) just stores his, in the plastic buckets (laundry soap buckets) that he uses to mold it, in the barn.

randyrat
05-05-2010, 08:28 AM
What effect does loss of moisture have on it, besides weight loss?
What happens when it is remelted or blended to make lube after it has lost moisture?

I store mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma seal lid (easy access). It losses weight, thats about it. They have found beeswax in tombs thousands of years old and still good.

cajun shooter
05-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Very thick styrofoam cooler's used by our shrimper's works great. I have over 75 lbs stored that way and when you remove the top the smell will over take you. No doubt that it is still fresh.

Beekeeper
05-05-2010, 09:36 AM
The only pest that will make short work of your beeswax is the wax moth.
Here in California it will destroy a hive left outside in a weeks time.
Ihey lay their eggs in the wax and the larva ( kinda like a meal worm) eat the wax and leave a web trail that ruins everything.
Recommend you store it in 5 gal buckets with a good lid or like shooter says in a styrofoam ice chest. I recommend the 5 gal bucket myself.

Jim

sqlbullet
05-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Don't worry about moisture loss. You will heat it to over 212° when you use it to make lube, and any moisture will cook out at that point anyway.

shdwlkr
05-05-2010, 01:46 PM
One thing that no has mentioned yet is bees if they can sense it is there and you have it in a place that doesn't close up well they will relieve you of your wax. Wonder how I know, just think about it for a minute.
Mice aren't to much of an issue as I have felines that just love it when they are stupid and look for the wax and the felines look for them. My felines have figured out where the wax is and it works good at keeping mice away. Have one that has been known to sleep on the wax just waiting for some rodent to be stupid and not pay attention has worked a few times.

Blammer
05-05-2010, 02:08 PM
I'd sell it if I had that much. :)

Bees will smell the wax and come to investigate and that's about it. They won't eat or use it.

shdwlkr
05-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Blammer
It was like 10-15 pounds there one day and gone with a lot of evidence who did the robbing. Can't hate the bees for a good find, just am a little more careful where I leave it now. Ha Ha.

Changeling
05-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Just put it in a zip lock bag and store in a freezer, no fuss no muss.

StarMetal
05-05-2010, 04:36 PM
One thing that no has mentioned yet is bees if they can sense it is there and you have it in a place that doesn't close up well they will relieve you of your wax. Wonder how I know, just think about it for a minute.
Mice aren't to much of an issue as I have felines that just love it when they are stupid and look for the wax and the felines look for them. My felines have figured out where the wax is and it works good at keeping mice away. Have one that has been known to sleep on the wax just waiting for some rodent to be stupid and not pay attention has worked a few times.

So you're saying bees are wax recyclers huh?:bigsmyl2:

TreeKiller
05-06-2010, 01:05 AM
The only pest that will make short work of your beeswax is the wax moth.
Here in California it will destroy a hive left outside in a weeks time.
They lay their eggs in the wax and the larva ( kinda like a meal worm) eat the wax and leave a web trail that ruins everything. (end quote)

Wax moth larvae cannot live on wax only they need the pollen and casings in the comb to survive. Might see a little damage on the outside of the cake but that is about all. You can leave drawn empty honey frames out and have very little damage from wax moths but if there has been brood raised or pollen in it you have a mess.

Beekeeper
05-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Don't know about that treekiller,
Spent 20 years as a beekeeper and the worst waxmoth damage I ever had was to brand new frames with pure white comb in them.
But I willbow to your apparent superior knowledge.
The OP has wax that is not capping wax and has not been through a purification process so I am sure there is enough pollen in it to suffice if you are sure it is required.

Jim

shdwlkr
05-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Starmetal
When I had my bees I used to leave all the cap wax laying around and for the most part it didn't take them long to make it disappear. Don't know if it was honey bees or just other bees never had time to sit and wait to see who and what showed up.