PDA

View Full Version : First time for everything

John Taylor
05-04-2010, 03:43 PM
A few years back a Colt Bisly came in with 7 bullets stuck in the bore. You got to reload to do that. The barrel was junk because someone took a torch to it to try and melt the bullets out, taking the color case off the frame and the temper out of a couple springs. The barrel had hammer marks on it and I assume during the hammering the spur on the hammer broke off. I found another original barrel and the owner found another hammer. The frame was sent off for a new color case and the gun looked good and shot well.
Now the reason for today's post, up till now I never thought I would see another gun with that many bullets stuck in the bore but today a S&W 357 came in with a plugged bore. There was a bullet right at the muzzle of the 6"barrel and the cylinder would not turn. There were four live rounds in the cylinder. The barrel could not be removed because of the shroud for the ejector. Can't remove the cylinder because it has a bullet half way in the barrel. Luck was with me in that these bullets had jackets. I was able to bore out the lead and run a 5/16 tap into the jacket and use a slide hammer to get them out. I pulled 13 bullets before I got to the one partway in the cylinder. It would not go ether way because it was bulged out. With the cylinder in soft jaws I was able to force it around while pulling back on the hammer, shearing off the bullet jacket. The gun has two miner bulges in the bore but it may shoot OK. You got to reload twice to do that.

mtnman31
05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm against gun control, but sometimes I have to wonder if they shouldn't have a simple IQ test in order to own or shoot guns.

Really, the owner must have no confidence in his/her shooting ability - if I had fired a cylinder full of rounds and had not hit my target, I'd be examining my gun...

ANeat
05-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Just keep pulling the trigger, WOW. I imagine the ammount of stuff coming out of the cylinder gap was impressive

2ndAmendmentNut
05-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Words escape me…

Mk42gunner
05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
So is there any powder in the rounds that where in the cylinder???

It sounds like a good thing that a real .357 load didn't get in the mix.

Robert

dragonrider
05-04-2010, 04:49 PM
13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's gotta be a record. Was the fellow who brought it in the one who did it.?????? Was it his first revolver??? Was he brain dead?????????? I have seen a few barrels with boolits in em, never seen more than one boolit in a barrel.

deltaenterprizes
05-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm against gun control, but sometimes I have to wonder if they shouldn't have a simple IQ test in order to own or shoot guns.

Really, the owner must have no confidence in his/her shooting ability - if I had fired a cylinder full of rounds and had not hit my target, I'd be examining my gun...

I am with you on that , I have really run into a bunch of idiots with guns since I moved here, but last time I went to the range back home I ran into two there too!
Problem is they all have been white males over 50 with grey hair, I wonder how they lived that long!

Charlie Sometimes
05-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Bet that the shooter was a beginning reloader, and loaded a bunch of under charged cartridges. Or possibly used deteriorated/old powder. The only times I've seen it happen (TWO bullets, each occassion) was from these situations. One at the end of a 6 inch barrel sticking out, the other midway down.

People must not know what a full power load sounds like compared to squibb loads, eh? The two above did! The sound, and the visual of the bullet sticking out stopped them from shooting more! Duh!

John Taylor
05-04-2010, 11:21 PM
13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's gotta be a record. Was the fellow who brought it in the one who did it.?????? Was it his first revolver??? Was he brain dead?????????? I have seen a few barrels with boolits in em, never seen more than one boolit in a barrel.

That's 14 total, 13 came out with the slide hammer. I have the four 38 special rounds that were still in the chambers, will pull a bullet in the morn to see what is in them. They don't look like reloads.

Charlie Sometimes
05-04-2010, 11:36 PM
If they aren't reloads, they have a good guardian angel!
I'm anxious to hear what is inside.

ANeat
05-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Probably just the first one was a dud, the rest just piled up behind it.

skimmerhead
05-05-2010, 01:07 AM
as ron white would say YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!!!!!!

skimmerhead:veryconfu

John Taylor
05-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I pulled a bullet. It had 5.5 grains of what appears to be Unique with a 125 grain bullet. It is a reload, had to look a little closer. Should have sent the bullet down range, probably bad powder. That still does not answer why the guy kept shooting. The shop that sent it to me said he had his wife bring it in, probably to embarrassed to do it himself.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/johnptaylor/14stuck55grains.jpg

Cactus Farmer
05-05-2010, 01:47 PM
A pawn shop sold a Thompson semi auto to a fellow. He brought it back said it wouldn't shoot. 20 some odd bullets in the barrel! He said it was a factory defect!
Ever bought a Thompson barrel for a new finned barrel model? It was factory ammo,230 grn FMJs. I just fixed it.......he got the gun back and was told to expect dirt to fly when the bullets hit the dirt. Some folks are just plain stupid.

Charlie Sometimes
05-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Need bleach in the gene pool now and then- where do these people come from, and how do they survive? Dumb luck angels, I guess. And then expect someone else to absorb their mistakes at no cost to them.

Load it back up and try it in one of your own- just one to see how it works. Might give you some idea of what happened.

John Taylor
05-06-2010, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=
Load it back up and try it in one of your own- just one to see how it works. Might give you some idea of what happened.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a 38/357 and if I did I don't think I would want to take a chance on a stuck bullet. Talked to a couple of other smiths about it. One said he had six 22 shorts in a rifle barrel one time.

Hardcast416taylor
05-07-2010, 04:42 AM
I was teaching a shooter to use his new 40 cal. Glock on my range several years back. One of his shots didn`t sound right to me. He tried pulling the trigger again, but nothing happened. He pulled the slide back, a fired case ejected. He let the slide go picking up a fresh round and he was starting to aim at the target again when I stopped him. He had a squib factory round that left a 180 gr. slug about 2" up the barrel. He could have had a interesting result if he had pulled the trigger again! By the way, this fella has an outdoor hunting program on TV!Robert:o

missionary5155
05-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Good morning
My hat gets tipped to S&W ! That is one fine well constructed firearm ! I missed what model it is. Mr . Taylor is one fine Smithy and he should be writting a book " Unauthorized Torture Tests of Bubba"...
Doing some calculating... Had that been a cast boolit I recon it would have made it down the bore IF that first DUD round had any powder in it.

Charlie Sometimes
05-07-2010, 09:14 AM
People just do not think far enough ahead or REACT WITH THOUGHT most of the time. They THINK they think, but in reality they are just reacting to immediate stimulus, no obvious thinking processes involved.

John Taylor
05-07-2010, 02:40 PM
People just do not think far enough ahead or REACT WITH THOUGHT most of the time. They THINK they think, but in reality they are just reacting to immediate stimulus, no obvious thinking processes involved.

Sort of like using a turn signal when the road makes a hard turn and there is no other way to go. If the gun didn't go bang, pull the trigger again.

a.squibload
05-09-2010, 11:07 PM
A freind long ago snapped the hammer on his SBH, nothing happened.
He cocked the hammer for another shot, I stopped him. Sure enough,
no powder in that reload, the primer had sent his boolit halfway down the bore.
We pushed it out with a cleaning rod.

HeavyMetal
05-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Add begining shooter to the list of reasons this Smith had 13 in the barrel!

Back in the 70's I belong to a club that shot at an indoor range, now long closed. It was built in an old theater and in the up stairs range you could fire 38 specials on down and it had about 30 firing points.

One evening I watched a couple guys blaze through two bags of range loads ( 100 rounds) only one target for the two of them, distance 50 feet, gun S&W K38 6 inch

One Bullet hole in the target! The good natured arguement was over which one had improved enough since the last visit to actually put a hole in the paper!

So yeah I could see a guy that had zero skill level, trying to self teach, putting 13 down the barrel and not realize they weren't coming out the end of the gun!

I spent a half hour giving them a few tips and was amazed at what they didn't know about basic marksmenship. They simply never knew and didn't know how to find out.

I am not one to stick my nose in the other guys face but some times ya gotta ante up if for no other reason than to protect the place you shoot at!

At the time I shot every Weds and I invited these two to "hang out" at the next 22 match, which they did.

An eye opening experience for all. Both guys shot with us, on and off, over the next year or two and got pretty good.

But back to the 13 boolits in the barrel. Had these guys had one dud round they may well have done the same thing simply because they didn't know any better.

The lesson I learned? Pay attention to everyone on the range! You might just help someone out or keep someone from getting hurt.

Char-Gar
05-11-2010, 09:26 PM
It isn't just guns that people screw up. Hoards of them screw up their lives in the worst possible ways. Most of them blame somebody else for their screwed up lives.

mdi
05-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Medical science has advanced to the point that survival of the fittest/smartest no longer applies. Our gene pool has been contaminated by some really stoooopid people, and some of them get guns in their hands.:brokenima

[smilie=l:

docone31
05-12-2010, 12:28 PM
At the range yesterday, the wife and myself were trying out new loads. It turns out, her Taurus PT1911 loves the 185gn wad cutters, and my Firestar hates them. Hers cycles anything.
We were there for a while. The range officers know us and stop by and chat. They no longer watch us. They know we know.
Well, I was talking to an old guy, and normal firing was going on, except for this one station.
Every now and then there was a very quiet sneeze, then more firing. He was sighting in. A couple of holes on the target, and nothing else. He was at the 100.
This went on for a while, then he packed up, and left. We were watching. No dust at the 100, no holes in the target. He had a semi.
Well, he left, and we club members talked about it. The range officers are all reloaders. They love it when yuppies go to the range.
NEW BRASS! They all buy boxes of rds and leave the brass. YES!
Well, we figuired, he had a primer fire, then packed the barrel. It really did draw a silence during his shooting, and we were glad he quit and went home. I wonder if his rifle got noticeably heavier.
Never did find out what happened.
Mostly, we were overjoyed, nothing happend! He left a good target all set up also. One hole, no bid deal. We can fill it.

Eutectic
05-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Sometimes some poor thinking ability makes things even worse!

I remember many years back when my father picked up a Savage Model 23-B for a song. Evidently, someone had shot enough old squib .25-20's to plug a section mid-barrel with about 6" of lead! The ding-a-ling then traded off the gun. The shop informed my father the barrel was plugged.
No jacket material was evident so we surmised the 'pluggage' was from the 86gr lead load. No bulge was evident.
Early primers when non-corrosive first showed up sometimes had a short life span and squib loads were fairly common back then. My father had carefully melted lead from a couple of plugged .22 rimfires and saved them. The heavy octagon Winchester Model 90 barrel was not bulged. So he though he could salvage the Savage bore...

Little did we know that the original owner had pounded nails into the lead plug with a steel rod trying to hammer it out; caulking the plug even tighter! My father got out the lead but the bore was ruined by nail heads in several spots.

Eutectic