PDA

View Full Version : Alloy content in lead free solder.

Adam10mm
05-04-2010, 02:32 PM
What exactly is the "lead free" metal in lead free solder.

My employer recycles it and we use both lead free and leaded (50/50) solder. The scrap comes out in cakes of about 9x13 and maybe 2 to 3 inches thick. Last night I saw about 50 of these cakes sitting around. Naturally I inquired as to the disposal and my supervisor said they recycle it. Well, that got my gears turning, of course.

I want to know how much they sell it for, to whom, and see if I might be able to pimp it for them for a cut of the proceeds; or buy from them at or slightly above their scrap rate they get and flip it for a profit. That's my short term goal. I could ingot out everything in one full Saturday no problem.

So the 50/50 leaded solder is lead/tin, but what's the lead free stuff mix? Tin is present of course but what's the other stuff?

felix
05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
You can bet it be copper or antimony. ... felix

Adam10mm
05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
So you figure it's usable for casting purposes?

Rock
05-04-2010, 02:56 PM
antimony is certainly a useful product for casting...

Adam10mm
05-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Nice. I'll do some investigating this week and see what I can come up with.

adkpete
05-04-2010, 06:36 PM
If it's lead free plumbing solder it's 90% tin

Matt_G
05-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Most of the lead free plumbing solder I've seen in hardware stores etc. has been 95% Sn and 5% Sb.

man.electric
05-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Your best bet would be to get the name and item number of who manufactures the original solder. Every solder company will have a website that lists the content of their solder. The content of lead free solder changes by product. The primary solder we use in our shop is 99.3% Tin and 0.7% copper. However, the lead free solder used to patch errors in house is 95% Tin and 5% Antimony. Many lead free solders contain silver(or at least used too until Kester released their K100LD solder) and other metals. The most common lead free solder is probably Sn/Cu/Ni or Tin/Copper/Nickel. The alloy percentages will shift by company and product.

Make sure that you are buying your scrap with your company knowing that you plan on reselling it. Besides the possible liability that could follow back to your employer, it would be immoral to mislead you intentions. Now that you took care of those, here are a few things you should do to sell a decent product.

A) Keep make sure you can keep the 50/50 solder and any different types of lead free solder separate and labeled. Anyone looking at purchasing your scrap will want to know exactly what they are buying.

B) Make sure that whatever application the solder is being used for doesn't leave contaminants in the scrap. If it does, make sure you let the buyer know that the tin might contain(oil, plastic particles, flux, wire bits, foreign metals like aluminum, zinc, gold, silver etc..).

Good luck!!!

Hometek
05-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Make sure that you are buying your scrap with your company knowing that you plan on reselling it. Besides the possible liability that could follow back to your employer, it would be immoral to mislead you intentions. Now that you took care of those, here are a few things you should do to sell a decent product.

Say what? What kind of liability could go back on the employer?

man.electric
05-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Say what? What kind of liability could go back on the employer?

Let's say that 'Cassey the Caster' buys 10 lbs of scrap solder from the original poster and sets off to make some ingots. At some point during the melt, Cassey gets water in the pot and later dies from the resulting burns.

Cassey's widow happens to be an insurance lawyer who wants to make a buck anyway she can. She looks at the box with the scrap solder inside and notices the original poster's name and address and starts litigation to make the buck she was after. During an interview with the solder salesman, it is revealed that he acquired the solder from ABC Electronics and that he never signed a waiver releasing ABC Electronics from liability.

Now the lawyer has two defendants to take to court. ABC Electronics probably has liability insurance that will settle out of court and the widow wins. Even if their insurance company doesn't settle there will be problems. We all know that the original poster and ABC Electronics are not to blame for Cassey's casting ignorance, but many US courts would find in favor of the widow.

Part of my job as an electrician(Contractor/engineer) often involves disposing of old light fixtures that contain mercury and other heavy metals. Many of the smart companies that I work for require us to sign away their liability for what happens to those lights once they leave the property. I hate the court system and the people who abuse it. Being in business has ruined my faith in 'blind justice'.