PDA

View Full Version : The kid broke 1000 with her gun last week

Curly James
05-04-2010, 02:02 PM
I provide my daughters with a handgun of their choice and a CCL for their 21st birthdays. The youngest chose a Ruger SP101 in .32 H&R magnum. She has practiced quite a good bit with the little revolver, with the vast majority of rounds fired being lead/cast reloads. This handgun is one of the most accurate revolvers I've shot to date. I have watched her make center head shots on a silhouette target at 20 yards firing slow fire single action. She also has several speedloaders and practices reloading on the go when we are at the range. This past week I realized she had fired over 1000 rounds in the one and a half years since she got her handgun. She was delighted when I told her she had broke a thousand. By the way the oldest girl prefers semi-autos (namely a Glock 19 and a Ruger LCP) while the youngest says there's too much stuff going on above her hand and mess flying out at her head. She also warms my heart when she says she thinks revolvers are nicer looking.

Also, as to the reloads for self defense question, all of her self defense loads are reloads. I cannot find any factory .32 mag ammo anywhere.

2ndAmendmentNut
05-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Congratulations! I think that is just what I will do for my daughters, or hope to do. As far as reloads for self defense. I also have nothing but reloads in my guns, even though most of them are popular calibers.

EMC45
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Good job Dad! Keep them interested. My kids are still in the single digits, but all have a keen interest in firearms.

jmsj
05-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Curly James,
That is great !!
My daughter loves to shoot also. She is 9 years old, she saved up and bought her first rifle last year (CZ452 youth). She now really has her heart set on my ruger bearcat. I think she likes hunting better than shooting. I have been taking cow elk,turkey and coyote hunting since she was 5 years old. Last year she got here first coyote, she is my primary hunting/shooting partner.

Lot of people overlook girls/women when it comes to shooting and hunting. jmsj

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Good for you! A few more shooters who actual know how to handle a gun!

Is that the SP101 she is shooting? The barrel seems kinda long compared to my SP101 357 w/ 3 1/16" bbl . . .

9.3X62AL
05-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Same comment as DB--looks like a 4" SP-101. NICE REVO, if so. Still nice in 3.1" or 2.75", too.

The 32 Magnum is an INCREDIBLY accurate revolver cartridge. Put the caliber in a well-made revolver, and it will drive tacks.

Dale53
05-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Curley James;
I would like to congratulate you on apparently raising two fine daugters. It is really good to see young people, both male and female, taking to shooting.

My home club has a very large junior program. It is wondrous to see how well the young women are doing - often beating the guys. The level of shooting of both sexes is quite amazing. These are some FINE youngsters. It's a shame we don't hear more about GOOD teenagers an young adults - it seems it is all about the bad apples.

I am a fan of the .32's, myself:

The Ruger SP 101 in .32 Magnum with a Red Dot sight:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0261.jpg

S&W Model 631 in .32 Magnum:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0330.jpg

S&W Model 16-4 in .32 Magnum with Red Dot Sight:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/4DalesPistolsRevolversSelects-3322.jpg

TC Contender with an SKS Custom Barrel in .32 Magnum;

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0355.jpg

So, like AL, I LIKE the .32's.

Dale53

Southern Son
05-05-2010, 04:34 AM
Good stuff, Curly, I love to see dads (or mums for that matter) getting their kids (or other halves) into this. I take my Missus out to the gun club every now and then and she likes my 686. But if I didn't drag her out, she wouldn't go. We don't have any kids, so I am the only shooter in the house (and the biggest kid, too).

Curly James
05-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Yep, that's a 4 inch barrel SP101. I would like for her to carry a little bigger round but a 95 grain HP making 1200 FPS will leave a mark if well placed.

My wife and older daughter have a big gun, as they call it, and a pocket gun (Ruger LCPs in their case). My youngest doesn't like the LCP and I have been looking at a S&W 351PD in 22 mag. Gun weighs nothing and holds seven rounds of 22 mag. The one I have in mind has a fiber optic front sight and a 2 inch barrel. Does anyone have any experience/insight etc with this gun?

shdwlkr
05-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Curly James
Between the wife and I we have 20 kids none of them at the present are active in firearms use of any kind. Have hopes the two youngest will pick it up and they are 3 and 4 so I have some time if not them then the son-in-law and one daughter will get almost everything I have.
Daughter is waiting for time for dad and her to go out and shoot and also most likely buy her first firearm. So I have a chance for one kid and two maybe's but the rest are a total loss in the shooting world.

pdawg_shooter
05-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Did that chair make a sexist remark or what?

shdwlkr
05-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Nope you know it wanted to go to a tea party rally

azrednek
05-05-2010, 03:06 PM
I have twin sons. I started taking them shooting and hunting at young ages. One of them grew up and has shown a keen interest in shooting, hunting and gun collecting. The other son quite the opposite. He does have a S&W revolver for protection and a Mossberg 12 gauge pump. He may go dove hunting once or twice a year but is not interested in hunting anything else. Even though my one son did not develop a big interest in hunting or guns. He was raised believing in the 2nd Amendment and is very conservative in his politics.

My nine year old Granddaughter just loves to go target shooting and just like her dad when he was young. Loves being our bird dog during dove season. A couple more years and a few more inches and pounds she will make a terrific bird hunter. Right now a 22RF is her limit, maybe this year or next she might be ready for a 410 and I'll lose my bird dog!!

Curly James
05-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Between the wife and I we have 20 kids

Dear Sweet, Kindly, Father in Heaven, I barely survived my two kids teenage years,( maybe I should say a bunch of teenage boyfriends barely survived those years) twenty kids would have put somebody (probably me) in their grave. Kudos and all my respect to you and your wife my friend.

And the chair was just there to pretend it was cover for a shoot to cover and reload drill. It had'nt really done anything wrong.........

Changeling
05-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Well she must be getting darn good with that revolver, the smoke hasn't even cleared and the bad guy has already left his seat and is long gone, LOL