PDA

View Full Version : bore sighting

Beekeeper
05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I looked honest!
The search function will only give what you ask and if you are computer chalanged like me it is garbage in and garbage out.
That said ,I am getting ready to bore sight a scope using a BSA bore sighter.
There were no directions with it when I bought it so it is (by guess, by gosh).
When you get the cross hairs lined up with the bore sight at what yardage are you?
How far do you move the cross hairs to get on at 100 yards?
I know this has been discussed in legnth but could not find it so will appreciate any help I get.
Thanks in advance,

Jim

gnoahhh
05-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I would align the crosshairs and fire a group at 25 yards, you should at that point at least be on the paper. Correct until you're on the bullseye, then start shooting/adjusting at longer distances to suit yourself. Come to think of it, you can pretty much do all of that without a boresighter.

jlchucker
05-04-2010, 02:39 PM
I would align the crosshairs and fire a group at 25 yards, you should at that point at least be on the paper. Correct until you're on the bullseye, then start shooting/adjusting at longer distances to suit yourself. Come to think of it, you can pretty much do all of that without a boresighter.

That's pretty much how I do it with any rifle--scope or iron sights. I've never owned a boresighter. Fire one shot at 25 yd from a rest, make an adjustment, and fire a 3 shot group. Once you're zeroed at 25 yd you ought to easily adjust for longer ranges. No real need to boresight. all that does is get you on the paper like the first shot at 25 yd does.

fecmech
05-04-2010, 04:14 PM
A quick and dirty way to get sighted in at 25 yds in 2 shots. Align the the scope and rifle on a small aiming point at 25 yds on a good sized piece of paper. Fire one shot. Line the rifle back up on the original aiming point and have someone hold the rifle so it cannot move. Now without moving the rifle move the scope cross hairs to the bullet hole. Confirm with shot # 2. You are now sighted dead on at 25 yds.

Mk42gunner
05-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Beekeeper,

With my Simmons, you are supposedly on at 100 yards.

I put the spud in the barrel, then align it with the crosshairs by gently tapping the grid. Scope adjustments work backwards with a collimator.

I probably don't have to say this, but better safe than with a banana peel at the end of your barrel. Make sure you remove it before shooting.

I used mine for a while, then went back to the old way of taking the bolt out and looking though the bore at a target.

Robert

legend
05-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I too just take the bolt out and look through the bore at a window across the street =crosshairs inside my bore,line up the scopes crosshairs with the windows and you will be real close.i rest the gun in a cardboard box with two v's cut in it.
I hope it helps someone.

docone31
05-04-2010, 08:24 PM
I do the same thing. I have this gonzo scope, and I take the bolt out, look down the bore, find a leaf, or stick with something unusual on it. I then zero the scope on it. It can take five shots at the range to finish it. I always use the 100yd spot.
Works for me.

gnoahhh
05-05-2010, 03:17 PM
About the only purpose that a bore sighter is useful for, that I can see, is with levers, pumps and autoloaders which prevent one from taking a gander down the bore. That and the clerk at Bass Pro Shops, who bore sighted a newbie's rifle with the el-cheapo scope that came with the package deal and then pronounced it "dead on". Without sighting in at the range (or any target practice at all for that matter), said newbie takes said rifle deer hunting and whacks a deer at about 100yds. dead, one shot. True story. That newbie still hasn't fired a second shot through it 3 years later, to my knowledge. Hunts with it secure in the knowledge that he's a crack shot with a deadly accurate gun. Sigh....

mdi
05-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I have an old bore sight collimator set that works very well; Tasco I believe. With my .22s (the last one done yesterday) I get within two or three clicks on target at 25 yds. I then go out to 50 and resight. Works well with all my scope installations, all calibers from .22 up to .44. Piece o' cake! Five minutes and no shots fired. Besides my neighbors would get a bit pissed if I'm aiming my new rifle at their window!

shagg
07-21-2010, 07:41 PM
bore sight might be handy to have. I have a marlin 336 that i put a new scope on and had no clue where it was shooting at 25 yds. I pulled the lever and bolt and sighted the top of my garden post (50 yd), scope was way off! lined it up and when i got to the range i had only minor adjustments to make. Bore sight would have saved me a bunch of time!

cajun shooter
07-29-2010, 01:11 PM
That guy that used the bore sighter and the owner killed on his first shot should both go to Las Vegas and bet everything they can put their hands on. Most all the time with the best sighters you are only on paper and never dead on!! What Luck. If you have a bolt action as others have posted it is a waste of money to buy or pay to have your rifle bore sighted.

DLCTEX
07-29-2010, 05:34 PM
After sighting in i reinstall the collumater and record where the crosshairs appeAr pn the screen. If i have to remove the scope, or if it gets off it is easy to get back very close to zero. Sometimes itis back exactly.

BruceB
07-29-2010, 06:14 PM
"After sighting in i reinstall the collimater and record where the crosshairs appear on the screen." -dlctex

Great minds DO think alike.

Not only can we check whether or not the scope returned to zero if removed, but it's also possible to check your sights if the rifle is dropped or otherwise suffers some kind of impact.

In addition, a spare, already-zeroed scope can be brought along, and its alignment checked if it has to be installed.

10x
08-07-2010, 11:00 AM
I have used a cardboard box with the rifle resting in two notches cut in opposite sides of the box. I look through the bore and line it up on an object that is 100 metres away ( through a window. I then move the cross hairs until they line up on the object making sure not to move the gun. Then I double check the object through the bore and cross hairs.

I then proceed to the range taking the box with me. I fire a shot at 25 yards. it should be close.
I then place the gun in the box and make sure the cross hair is on the original point of aim - then without moving the gun move the cross hair until it covers the point of impact.
I then repeat this at 100 yards.
I have used this method to gets guns sighted in in under five shots.

Char-Gar
08-07-2010, 11:02 PM
I have never owned or used a collimater or other bore sighting device. I still just pull the bolt, chamber a empty case with the primer knocked out and do it the old fashioned way.

Fecmech's 25 yard 2 shot is also a good way to do and it is more than quick and dirty. A scope sighted rifle so sighted will be dead on at 200 to 300 yards depending on the caliber and load. I was taught this by an old German gunsmith 50 years ago. He told me it was how they sighted in their hunting rifles in Germany. When done right, you have a good hunting zero with only two shots.