View Full Version : getting split neck syndrome

Sonoma2k2
05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
hey guys I am runing into some split necks on my 357SIG cases. The cases are SPEER and NICKEL finish. these are all once fired from a state trooper friend of mine. "he gave me a tote with over 4000 cases for free" :) cant beat that with a sig beater.

my question is; since this has only been fired once should i be getting split necks already? Am i maybe doing something wrong on the re sizing issuse? There is no signs of ressistance when the process is in motion but just hate to see the guys go into the trash.

maybe its just gotten old from where he has had it forever to maybe??? thanks for your time and thoughts on the subject.

:drinks:

doubs43
05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Is it possible that you flared the case mouth excessively?

Perhaps that lot of cases is brittle to begin with. I have little experience with nickle-plated cases but I was once given a quantity of .45ACP cases that were nickle plated and they seemed to split much quicker than solid brass cases.

My other thought is that the underlying brass is thinner than normal so that the nickle coating doesn't make the case too thick when applied. The thinner brass may not hold up as well as plain all-brass cases.

MtGun44
05-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Measure the size of the neck OD of a fired case and then again after resizing. Sounds like
too much sizing and expanding work hardening the necks so that they cannot expand as
much as they need to when fired again. My guess is you have a large necked chamber and
the die set is over sizing the necks.

Brass hardens dramatically with permanent deformation, losing it's ability to deform without
breaking.

You may need to anneal the necks, something usually only needed on bottle necked rifle
cartridges after multiple reloadings.

DLCTEX
05-04-2010, 07:12 PM
I bought a bag of 100 22-250 nickle cases (Rem) a few years ago that had three split necks from the factory.