PDA

View Full Version : Romanian 1956 cugir trainer

Frank46
07-25-2006, 03:40 AM
Bought one of thses at a local gun show. barrel is toast. I cut off the bbl about 1/2" in front of the receiver ring. Removed the cross pin and at present am curious as to how to get the bbl stub out. Any suggestions??. Frank

StarMetal
07-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Frank,

Being a 22 rf and you said you removed the crossbolt, I would assume the barrel is a press fit in the receiver. Is there a difference of diameter between the receiver and the barrel? A ledge sort of? If so what I'd do is take a plate of steel that is 1/4 in thick and drill a hole in that plate that is the size of the barrel shank right there in front of the receiver. Then put the plate over the jaws of a vise that are open far enough to let the barrel slip through, insert the barrel in that hole, shoot it up good with penetrating oil and let set a day or so. Then find a steel rod long enough to set through the receiver and tap the barrel stub out.

Another way is if you have a lathe you can drill or machine out the inside of the barrel stub so it's just a thin shell in the receiver and you should be able to get it out then. Much like removing exhaust pipes if you know what I mean.

Joe

Jetwrench
07-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Frank,
Is this the little 22rf trainer with the flip up sight leaves on the bbl? If so, do you know where a fellow can find a set of scope rings, as the dovetails are smaller than a standard 22rf. If your gun is the same as mine I will look at mine and see if I can figure anything out. Thanks, JETWRENCH

Frank46
07-26-2006, 03:27 AM
Joe, thanks for the tips, iffen I get the bbl out I have a mint condition stevens 416
bbl that should do for a replacement. Jetwrench, this is not the little romanian 22rf trainer that you see for sale. The receiver is about the diameter of a full sized 22rf like a 52 win. No grooves for rings are present. The bbl mounted sights were just a standing leaf and bead front sight. If you go to "rimfire central" and scroll down to the romanian section you can ask about the guy who has rings to fit the 1969 trainer. Think I saw it mentioned there. As you no doubt know by now the grooves are not inch but metric. Joe, the bbl stub butts against the front of the receiver ring which is smaller in diameter that the rest of the receiver ring. Like you said is a good press fit into the receiver. Its a single shot with a loading tray on the bottom inside of the receiver. Has two locking lugs. One is the bolt handle itself and a smaller one that rotates into a corresponding groove on the left side of the receiver. It could be converted to centerfire, but you have to make up a whole new front bolt piece with cf firing pinand come up with a redesinged extractor. 32-20 02 25-20 ctgs come to mind,
much like the old savage 23's but as a single shot. The opening for ctgs at the top of the receiver would have to be opened up to allow feeding but the receiver is a fairly thick piece of metal. Frank

StarMetal
07-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Frank,

Sounds like then hogging out the barrel stub in a lathe, but wait. Listen to this idea. Thread the hole in the barrel for whatever thread size you want, for example I'd thread it for a fine thread. Here's the idea. With the barrel hole threaded and the bolt in the receiver and closed, merely threading the bolt in will be like a pulley puller and force the stub out. I would try to protect the face of the bolt with a shim first and the threaded bolt doesn't have to have a tapered point like on pulley pullers. Flat would be fine. There you, try that.

Joe

Frank46
07-27-2006, 01:46 AM
Joe, I'd be kind of leery of trying that as I would not want to mess up the lug engagement surfaces inside the receiver. Will most likely open up the existing chambered hole and rig my bench vise as a means to try and press out the stub.
Thanks, Frank