PDA

View Full Version : need scope advice

hoosierlogger
05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Gents, I will be the owner of a pristine used Super Red Hawk in .44 Mag 7 1/2" stainless. It comes with case and all factory goodies along with about 100 rounds and some brass all for $400 :drinks:. I am buying it from a buddy who had a pace maker put in and lost most of the strength in his left arm. He cant hold on to it good enough even with light loads anymore. I will be looking for a scope to perch atop it. What I am looking for is a decent inexpensive scope, if there is such a thing. I may not have the funds available to buy a scope for it right away, but it dont hurt to start looking and waiting for sales.

What I need from you is your experiences with scopes around or under the $100 range. Any help would be appreciated. I plan on using it for deer hunting so low light will be something to consider.

Thanks,
Greg

NSP64
05-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I bought one new once. Couldn't get it to shoot worth a darn so I got rid of it.
I got a scope base for the SRH that lets you use any style of scope on it, then used a reddot. Gun wouldn't shoot for me with lead or jacketed. open sites or scope. I just got a SBH and it shoots great.

kbstenberg
05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Hoosierlogger im in the same spot now. Today i ordered a Red dot Ultradot. Itl be my first sighting device on my first handgun.
There is a lengthly sticky on Red dots Vs. Holo's Vs. Scopes. Its very informative. It helped me make up my mind.
Kevin

Frank
05-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Matchdot at 25 yds:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=2270

hoosierlogger
05-03-2010, 11:36 PM
what does one of those run Frank? How does it perform in below freezing temps?

NSP64
05-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Hoosier. they run about $199

hoosierlogger
05-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Hoosier. they run about $199

Yeah Ill have to pass on one of those right now. They are a little salty for me at this time. Maybe later on in the guns life time.

Wildcat
05-04-2010, 09:37 AM
You get what you pay for in optics. I tried going the cheap route once with a Tasco handgun scope. It wouldn't hold zero on my .44 worth a hoot. Finally decided to find out what would happen to it on my .475 and of course it fell apart internally. Save your money and get an Ultra Dot. Mine stays on my .44 Bisley Hunter now, but its also been used on my .475. It works great and is perfect for early morning and late evening in the creek bottoms when light is low. My Dad has a Leupold on his SRH and it performs great, plus has a lifetime warranty.

c.r.
05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Greg,

I'm going to suggest that in order to stay near your price, you'll probably need to watch the used market.

Quality used optics can be found at reasonable prices. If you could find a way to extend your price range ~$50, you'll be right around the top end going cost of used quality optics..........low/ fixed power, extended eye relief scopes suitable for handguns.

hopefully your buddy has the ruger rings. if they're included in the sale, that should save you about 50 bucks.

~c.r.

Frank
05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Same target, Leupold 4 X:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=2272

2ndAmendmentNut
05-04-2010, 02:17 PM
You get what you pay for especially when it comes to optics. The open sights that come on the Rugers are quite good IMHO as far as factory sights are concerned, and they are a lot better then any $100 optics that I am aware of. Also most scopes under $100 are intended for light use on 22s and pellet guns, not 44mags. If you have to have a scope my advice would be to save your money and look around for a good deal on a used Leupold.

hoosierlogger
05-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. The $100 range is not set in stone. Also I am in no hurry for one either. I did however go get the gun this afternoon.

With it was included....
factory Ruger case
factory Ruger rings
owners manual
50 rounds of reloads
50 empty once fired brass cases
150 Jacketed hollow point bullets
RCBS dies like new in green box

I think I came out pretty dang good.

Ill try to get some pics up later

2ndAmendmentNut
05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
You did real good.

I like the idea of a SRH, but I am having a hard time getting past the looks of them.

Do you know the previous owner well enough to shoot his reloads? Or are you going to knock them apart?

hoosierlogger
05-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Do you know the previous owner well enough to shoot his reloads?

I am going to shoot them. He is like a second father to me. I completely trust him and his equipment. They are 240 grain JHP loaded with 11.4 grains of unique. They are at the top side of the recommended load according to my book.

Frank
05-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Here's the red dot at 71 yds. Can you see the monkey? Now step back from your picture and you get the idea.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=2274

hoosierlogger
05-04-2010, 07:46 PM
wow Frank that shows up pretty good in the day light. I guess I was expecting something as hard to see in the day time as a laser sight.

Lloyd Smale
05-05-2010, 07:02 AM
for a 44mag its hard to beat a 2x scope. Im not much of a handgun scope guy but ive had a handful of them with leupold 2x scopes and theyve allways performed flawlusly.

hoosierlogger
05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Ok here are a couple of crappy pics. It is hard to photograph a glossy gun and not get some glare. Pic number 1 is what I got for $400.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/GSB_77_XL/040.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/GSB_77_XL/044.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/GSB_77_XL/042.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/GSB_77_XL/041.jpg

Frank
05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Nice photo's. Looks like you got a great deal. Another guy here says he has tens of thousands of rounds thru his Ruger, so yours is probably as good as new. Can't wait till you load for it and take it out. :Fire:

spqrzilla
05-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Good deal.

Frank
05-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I looked thru one of these. It looks pretty good. The first pattern has a very small dot in a circle with accompanying crosshair on outside. The dot is very small, like 1 moa.

http://ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_008.htm

Bulletlube
05-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I have a Burris 2x and my buddy has a Leupold 2x and he likes my Burris better.

Frank
05-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Great ;-)

AzShooter
05-08-2010, 03:54 AM
Very nice deal. First thing to do is to pull the handload bullets. Never fire someone elses reloads in your gun. Everybody can make a mistake and you just don't need it to happen to you.

I have a 4 power Leupold scope for when I'm testing loads. It works real well. I got it on E-bay and it's right about in your price range so look around. They are out there.

crabo
05-08-2010, 08:46 AM
I looked thru one of these. It looks pretty good. The first pattern has a very small dot in a circle with accompanying crosshair on outside. The dot is very small, like 1 moa.

http://ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_008.htm

I bought one of these to go on a 10/22 speed gun that I am building. I am going to use it for shooting steel and a woods gun. I haven't tried it on a pistol, but I love it on the rifle. I really like the different retcles.

I'll have to put it on a pistol just to see how I like it compared to my Ultradot 4.

44man
05-08-2010, 09:10 AM
All of you fellas take nice photos. Mine suck! [smilie=1:
But you don't have to buy the Match Dot, just get the regular Ultra Dot, it is cheaper and Ultra Dot West pays shipping.
If you are going to hunt, stay away from a pistol scope, it will drive you nuts. They are only good in full daylight from a rest.
The red dot can be shot off hand in any light.
Mine have held up for thousands of rounds from the .475 and 45-70, only one tough enough for the money.
All of my groups are shot with the Ultra Dot.
These are 50 yards.

ph4570
05-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Just the other day I ordered an UltraDot 25 from Natchez for my Ruger Redhawk. When I ordered the price was $129.99. Now their price is $139.99. Which is the same price as at Ultradot west. However, as 44man points out, ultradot west has free shipping.

Frank
05-08-2010, 10:50 AM
44man said
All of you fellas take nice photos. Mine suck!

I can't read your notes. Maybe I should print a copy, put it out there and read it with my scope. :redneck:

Ed K
05-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Are you guys using the Ultradot 25 or 30mm? Only a ten dollar bill difference. Going 30mm in a traditional scope is usually big bucks. Wouldn't the 30mm help with FOV a little for a small $10? Of course, if that makes it too bulky...

fecmech
05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Go with the 30MM for the additional 10 bucks although the way you use red dots at arms length there is not a big difference in field of view. I can't say enough good about Ultra Dots. I have one on the slide on my 1911. Every time the gun goes off that sucker snaps back and forth with the slide and it's done it about 8 or 10 thousand times now without losing zero!

Doc Highwall
05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I guess I cannot make up my mind as I have both dots and scopes. I have a 10" barrel TC Contender in .375 Winchester with a Burris 2x-7xPA scope for hunting and it stays on 2x most of the time. I have three barrels for my Encore in 6mmBR, 6.5mmBR and 7mmBR that have Burris 3x-12x PA and target knobs that are mostly for playing around at the range to 300 yards. I also have a Ultra Dot on my Python and some other guns. I think the gun and use that we are going to use it for dictates what might be the best optic to use.

zac0419
05-08-2010, 12:15 PM
"although the way you use red dots at arms length there is not a big difference in field of view."

+1 on that. I went with the 25mm. I would think tube size and $10 is the only dif there.

hoosierlogger
05-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks fellas you have been a big help so far Ill have to save this thread so whe I get the bucks Ill know which one to get.

Blammer
05-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Great DEAL!

I'd shoot up the 44 ammo and start loading my own.

I would recommend the Simmon Pro Hunter 2-6. I have one on my 44 SRH, I've put no less than 500 rnds through it with this scope and no problems. Most are full house loads too. You may be able to find them around $100 or so.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/ruger/DSCN6452.jpg

Ed K
05-08-2010, 05:49 PM
How about the Ultradot Pan A-V? Too soon to tell? I have all sorts of handgun scopes from Leupold 2x to a Burris 3-12 on a Contender but have no experience with dot sights whatsoever. I am convinced that Ultradot is the only way to go in tube-type red dot sight but have also been intrigued by the Bushnell Holosight and others in that family for a couple of years now but never bought one. I know of several who have killed them on handcannons and the warranty is only one year so have shyed away from them thus far. Some say Eotech is better, mil-spec, etc. but the price is high and they are much bulkier.

Was wondering about the Pan A-V since they are from Ultradot and lifetime warranteed.

jh45gun
05-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. The $100 range is not set in stone. Also I am in no hurry for one either. I did however go get the gun this afternoon.

With it was included....
factory Ruger case
factory Ruger rings
owners manual
50 rounds of reloads
50 empty once fired brass cases
150 Jacketed hollow point bullets
RCBS dies like new in green box

I think I came out pretty dang good.

Ill try to get some pics up later

Bushnell makes a good Red Dot for around a 100 bucks give or take on the model whether it is a single red dot or a multiple reticule.

This is the one I have and it works great.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_711540_imageset_01?$main-Medium$

No matter your target, from small dark bull's-eyes to deer and turkey, there's an adjustment to fit your needs. Choose from four reticles: crosshair, 3-MOA dot, 10-MOA dot and 65-MOA circle around 3-MOA dot. Eleven-position brightness control lets you tailor the scope to your lighting conditions and target. Unlimited eye relief ensures easy mounting on your shotgun or handgun. This scope has multicoated optics, along with a polarizing filter and protective lens cover. Waterproof and fogproof. 1X power, .30mm tube. Includes Weaver-style rings and battery. Red dot/reticle for bright light.
Weight: 6 oz.
Length: 5.5"
FOV @ 100 yards: 68 feet.

Right around 120 dollars. The single red dot model is cheaper about 89 dollars but I like the multiple reticule.

MtGun44
05-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Nikon scopes are very high quality glass and coatings, real good structurally
and cheap for what they are. Look at my avatar. That is a 626 with a
Nikon pistol scope, works great.

Bill